Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I almost want to book an int'l flight out of YYC just to see how crappy the new int'l terminal is.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:56 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I almost want to book an int'l flight out of YYC just to see how crappy the new int'l terminal is.
some of us have to fly outta yyc. save your money and go on a bbq, tex mex eating, golf playing binge in iah in february or something\

or go see 4 blue jays games abroad for the price of 1 in yyz

don't worry, we'll white whine for you
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
ok i must be missing or misunderstanding something because i read WR Cage's post re gate 70/71 to mean that ac only has one widebody gate that has any access to its mll, and ac has had two overseas flights that depart roughly the same time at least since canadian air folded. which definitely sounds like the type of problem yyc would impose onto itself, judging how they still can't construct security checkpoints without lineups down a hallway until they finally redid the ac concourse last year
That's AC's problem, not the airport. AC does not want to set up an MLL in the new terminal for their three daily flights.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I won't have one until mid-December. Surely we'll hear reports earlier than that.

Seems to me the one issue is the MLL.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I guess this is symptomatic of airport authorities and other brilliant minds putting together a crappy terminal for an international gateway of some sort.

Anything positive to say about the new YYC int'l terminal aside from it being brand new?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything positive to say about the new YYC int'l terminal aside from it being brand new?
People seem to say everything is hi tech. Automatized, state of the art. Decoration all local artists. (Yes, my wife watches local news.)
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
People seem to say everything is hi tech. Automatized, state of the art. Decoration all local artists. (Yes, my wife watches local news.)
So we are to expect some inuksuit/inukshuks and green carpet. If we don't, then I will lodge a formal protest to have the terminal shut down.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we are to expect some inuksuit/inukshuks and green carpet. If we don't, then I will lodge a formal protest to have the terminal shut down.
Afraid Innu is on the other side of the continent. Local artists does not necessarily translate into native, or at least only native. Even in Alberta I suppose.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
That's AC's problem, not the airport. AC does not want to set up an MLL in the new terminal for their three daily flights.
and don't forget the weekly 319 to cun

you have to consider that it's not like, say, iah where the airport is owned by the city, has an open budget, is accountable to council (therefore--much to ua's chagrin & threats, allowed wn to fly intl out of hou), and ua itself is paying for an expansion that it's executing according to its specs.

this would be unheard of in canada. i know i know there's 99 reasons why it can't be efficient but ya.

btw ac was supposed to move into concourse d (now a) in the early 2000s, but refused once they saw the final product, mostly the lack of swing gates and scarce bag makeup units.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Afraid Innu is on the other side of the continent. Local artists does not necessarily translate into native, or at least only native. Even in Alberta I suppose.
Ok, so they randomly found a sidewalk chalk artist on the red mile and paid them millions to create some "art" for the terminal. Got it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
With 3 daily flights. there is no problem.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cur
wow brand new billion dollar terminal that's a year late and already above capacity.

wow.

they'll prob keep one flight at the b/c terminal.

this and no dining options more sophisticated than tim hortons and chili's.

yyc isn't a corporation. it's a "not-for-profit" old boys club run by the same inter-generational losers who have no experience--nor accountability--beyond yyc itself.

that's why the airport has this absolutely useless parallel runway (that ws' encore planes land on), and why the airport was able to extort a free 6 lane freeway and tunnel from taxpayers with $0 spent on their end.

corporations are at least accountable to someone. i guarantee you there is the same level of anti-competitive/protectionist/cronyist behaviour that is seen with yvr and its airside catering situation, something even the canadian "competition bureau" took notice of.
Forget the lounge problem, YYC does not have a gas station or one close. Big problem for returning cars.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Forget the lounge problem, YYC does not have a gas station or one close. Big problem for returning cars.
There used to be one, right by the parking (either park and fly or park and jet, the one that gave Aeroplan miles when CP was still around). Has it closed?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:03 pm
Suspended

There used to be one, right by the parking (either park and fly or park and jet, the one that gave Aeroplan miles when CP was still around). Has it closed?
Yes, For a while now.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
How so? Pretty much every rental car company in North America is satisfied if you produce a receipt showing a fill-up within 10 miles (assume 15km in Canada). No employee has ever asked me to produce one. You can fill up anywhere in the north half of the city and have the vehicle back at the airport with the gauge showing full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.