Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC fall Do - burgers & Scotch - September 24, 2016

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DrunkCargo
Calgary Fall AC FT Do

Location: Buchanan's (738 3rd Avenue SW) - outside on the patio, weather and group size permitting - it's a nice day here in YYC, but it is fall, so it's not super-warm and will get cooler as the evening goes on. For Calgarians, that's still good patio weather, so unless there's a strong feeling in the group that we should be inside, we'll be on the patio. A light jacket or sweatshirt might come in handy.
Date: Saturday, September 24th
Boarding Time: 18:00 - feel free to show up earlier, but the host won't guarantee his own arrival before 6PM due to an earlier engagement
Reservation is under Adam Smith.

Current Availability
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 R2 I0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 X0
Availability is wide open, but Tango and P fares are not available on this route.

Confirmed pax
adam.smith +1
SearsTower +1
rehoult
Herpayvr
folkart
YYC372
djkyyc
BlondeBomber
WR Cage
kokinos +1
canadiancow
awardbee
drunkcargo <Made it>

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do
catgirl
mountaingrl
mountainboy
airstream74
Erome
Mister T
yyznomad (back onto EF alerts)

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night
YEG2MM
krayZpaving (CDG-YVR that night...boo...)
gcashin - away this weekend
CanRulez - away for 2 weeks
jaysona
diabeetus

Important Event Notes
  • Promo codes are not applicable to this event. Upgrades and AE redemptions are blocked by revenue management - you get what you pay for.
  • No hockey puck beef will be served! If it is, send it back! (Unless that's actually what you like, you weirdo?)
  • This is an AC codeshare. Spend will count towards your 2016 AQD totals, provided you ticket it on 014 stock.
  • The Do website will be down for regularly scheduled maintenance. Often. But we won't bother to tell you in advance.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a diet Coke, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • I'm working on some type of deal with the restaurant to get us a bit of a deal on something, e.g. a cheap Scotch tasting flight or a discount on the burgers. Will provide details as available; please post in the thread if you have preferences. Buchanan's offers a discounted Scotch tasting flight on Wednesdays and they'll be offering that deal to us tonight as well. Typically samples of three different whiskys at about a 25% discount to list price; we should have two different flights available.
  • No T-shirts, but I will definitely provide name tags this time Name tags have been purchased and are in my car, along with a couple of Sharpies.
Print Wikipost

YYC fall Do - burgers & Scotch - September 24, 2016

Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Anyone flying in from YYZ (suggest a flight with J space for Saturday)? Anyone have a tub I can sleep in? Suggestions for hotel in YYC? Safe to sleep on the streets of the beltline? Should I bother to worry?

Templeton Rye has caught my fancy as of late... or even Alberta Premium. =)
You can sleep on the couch in my office in the Beltline And our parking lot provides as much late night entertainment as you could want.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
With the airport expansion ready to open next month, there is a lot of unused space now, so you can safely sleep on new floors or new chairs and no one with bother you
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone flying in from YYZ (suggest a flight with J space for Saturday)? Anyone have a tub I can sleep in? Suggestions for hotel in YYC? Safe to sleep on the streets of the beltline? Should I bother to worry?
No tub space here (I'm a shower kind of guy), but the Westin and Sheraton Eau Claire are both convenient. Closest hotel is the Sandman, which is probably cheaper. And people I know who've stayed there say it's fine, renovated just a few years ago.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith
I've neglected this thread the past few days as I've been MegaDo-ing around Europe, so apologies for that. I'll have a few pictures, although I'll be presenting them through interpretive dance rather than PPT.
I'll be there with my better half and will probably wear my Megado4 tshirt. Looking forward to it
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kokinos
I'll be there with my better half and will probably wear my Megado4 tshirt. Looking forward to it
Glad to hear it, look forward to meeting you.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Templeton Rye has caught my fancy as of late... or even Alberta Premium. =)
Wife informed me that she may want to join me and that we should spend the night. So I may be renting a room at the Hilton and for a small fee you may have the couch, unless she has a few drinks and then all bets are off

Edit - Sorry the hotel is cancelled she wants to come home that night now!

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Sep 22, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Less than 48 hours to the Do... Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Don't forget.

DrunkCargo, you better not have accessed the lounge before cancelling that ticket!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm dropping down to a maybe. Going to be a game day decision.

I just ran a spreadsheet on how much I've spent on travel for September/October, and I'm not liking the size of the number.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm dropping down to a maybe. Going to be a game day decision.

I just ran a spreadsheet on how much I've spent on travel for September/October, and I'm not liking the size of the number.
Think Bigger picture- look at the good you are doing for the economy

You will be in Calgary, Alberta and our economy really sucks so that booze money you will spend plus the other spend will be most welcomed ^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Think Bigger picture- look at the good you are doing for the economy

You will be in Calgary, Alberta and our economy really sucks so that booze money you will spend plus the other spend will be most welcomed ^
I'm fine that aspect.

It's the flight.

Latitude FP credits are cheaper than buying buying tickets. But still more than I'd like to spend.

Aeroplan points work out to slightly over 1cpm (comparing Aeroplan J to buying and upgrading - maybe I should check the cost to upgrade X).

My AC spend this year will be similar to previous years, but I've spent a lot of money on other airlines too.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 23, 2016 at 11:35 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My AC spend this year will be similar to previous years, but I've doesn't a lot of money on other airlines too.
Air Canada does not want you to share with others, lol
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:17 pm

Okay I'm in. I need to find a place to stay though
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
My biggest problem with coming to the do is that I can't fly out same night and get home. That would be nice. And my name disappeared off the wiki's maybe list.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Booked a last minute award seat!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Hmm I do see a 21:30 departure to YVR. Not sure why my flight pass didn't show it yesterday. How late will this do run?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.