Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus AQM on Star Alliance Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Bonus AQM on Star Alliance Flight

If I was flying an Air Canada flight, I understand I can get bonus AQMs if I booked a Latitude/Premium Economy/Business Class fare, but does the bonus AQMs come into effect when I'm flying Star Alliance flights? (ie: Business class flight on a UA)?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by circky
If I was flying an Air Canada flight, I understand I can get bonus AQMs if I booked a Latitude/Premium Economy/Business Class fare, but does the bonus AQMs come into effect when I'm flying Star Alliance flights? (ie: Business class flight on a UA)?
Depends on the airline and the fare class. On UA, yes, business class earns the same 150% (50% bonus) as on AC.

But other airlines can be very different, e.g. business fares on NZ only earn 125%. Intra-Europe P fares (cheap business class) on LH only earn 50%.

The Aeroplan website has details for each carrier.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! When you're referring to the aeroplan website, it's the "eligible flights" tab when I look at each airline and it has a matrix with the booking classes?

Because that's what I thought but wasn't sure if the bonuses were simply referring to aeroplan bonus or if it also included as AQM. Of course when I contacted AC/Aeroplan, I received different answers from three different people!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Thanks! When you're referring to the aeroplan website, it's the "eligible flights" tab when I look at each airline and it has a matrix with the booking classes?

Because that's what I thought but wasn't sure if the bonuses were simply referring to aeroplan bonus or if it also included as AQM. Of course when I contacted AC/Aeroplan, I received different answers from three different people!
https://www4.aeroplan.com/earn_miles...Partner=United

Correct. Remember this is when United is the operating carrier and you credit to AP.

You may also want to read up on Altitude Qualifying Dollars too, as this kicks in for 2017.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

You're right that AC doesn't make it clear that these are AQM, but I've never seen the amount of AQM be different from what's in those charts.

One other thing you might want to note is the different earning rates for economy fares on many carriers. There are a number of anomalies relative to AC's system, e.g. NZ's lower economy fares earn 70% and some LH fares (K, maybe others?) earn nothing.

Lastly, remember that the earning will depend on the operating carrier's fare class, e.g. you may think you've bought a D fare on an AC-LH itinerary and find out that you have a P fare for the LH leg. I think this has been an especially big problem with some UA fares bought on the AC website under the Flex bucket that end up crediting 50% miles because they're S fares or something like that on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.