Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The newly redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (July 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Still the worst airline app around. Poor integration to the main web site. No integration with Aeroplan so we have no access to our FF accounts. A thoroughly pathetic offering! Why waste space with Cargo and Vacations? Why even bother?
maxjasper likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:03 am
alc

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Still the worst airline app around. Poor integration to the main web site. No integration with Aeroplan so we have no access to our FF accounts. A thoroughly pathetic offering! Why waste space with Cargo and Vacations? Why even bother?
I don't have any Apple product, hence, I can't comment about the Apps itself related to AC stuff. But for your comment to Aeroplan where since you know it is a separate company, AC might not allow to integrate them. And Aeroplan does has its own App, just like the Android:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aero...501052434?mt=8
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AC-E50K, Avis Preferred Plus, Mariott-Titanium
I just received an email with an invite to beta test their new iOS app.

Exciting news! The newly redesigned Air Canada Mobile App is almost ready to launch. We’ve selected a limited number of participants, and we’ve chosen you to be one of them.
The new App was designed based on feedback from our customers. We listened, and developed the following new features:
- Link your Aeroplan account and have all your bookings synced to your Air Canada mobile+ profile.
- Create personal push notifications.
- Purchase ancillary products during and after booking.
- Download your Altitude digital card.
- Enhanced Air Canada mobile+ with passport, Nexus, and KTN information for a simplified check-in experience.

The Beta App is fully functional, so you can use it to book flights, manage your bookings, monitor and receive real-time information.

We invite you to sign up to try out the Beta App on an iOS device. Remember, participation is limited, so we encourage you to take full advantage of this opportunity.

I am about to download it to see if it's anything like the android app. I have a couple of flights next week, so this is good timing.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by airstream74
Here's the link to sign-up for the beta test.

I like the "undefined undefined" in the web version of the e-mail. Looks like there is an error in getting information from one database to populate another.

Last edited by jaysona; Feb 23, 2017 at 12:36 am
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by airstream74

I am about to download it to see if it's anything like the android app. I have a couple of flights next week, so this is good timing.
Just installed it on my iPhone. It finally pulls in your bookings automatically based on your Aeroplan number! I'm looking forward to trying the new check-in experience later this week.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Much better than the last app, but that could have been done by a 3 year old.

The smiling lady is pleasant to look at, once, but she takes up way too much real estate. One third of the screen is unproductive on the app because of the image. Who designed this thing?
maxjasper likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Much better than the last app, but that could have been done by a 3 year old.

The smiling lady is pleasant to look at, once, but she takes up way too much real estate. One third of the screen is unproductive on the app because of the image. Who designed this thing?
Probably the 12 year old brother of the original 3 year old developper.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I don't suppose they'll be updating the BB10 app any time soon, eh?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
A few quick observations after my first few minutes with the app:
  1. The main screen wastes real estate instead of showing any useful information.
  2. It found my current trip and next booking (all done through travel agent) but not the following three. I guess that's progress... Not sure if the others will show up when the date is closer (the nearest missing one is early August).
  3. If you select "Flight Status" from the main screen it doesn't show you your current bookings. In fact, finding those bookings is tricky, it's under a drop-down menu instead of being, I don't know, the main thing on the home screen. Sigh.
  4. The itinerary view has two huge buttons for "Add travel options" and "Manage seats" but then repeats those items in the "Options" menu at top right. And, below every flight segment there is also a "Change seats" button. Three ways to do the same thing, all on the same screen, is an example of bad design.

(and we should all share our comments using the "send feedback" button in the TestFlight app, since that's the best way to ensure they are seen).

Last edited by sweden05; Jul 11, 2016 at 9:00 pm Reason: Can in fact add altitude card to iOS wallet, it was just a well-hidden option
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
New AC iOS app! (Currently in Beta)

I was invited this morning to beta test the new iOS AC app (v4.0.1). It's a total re-design (at least visually).

Automatically pulls in all PNRs with your Aeroplan number (which I think the new Android app does as well), and you can add your Altitude card to Apple Wallet. Don't see any new revolutionary functionality beyond that at the moment.

Anyone else get invited to beta test?

I'll try to post more details up later when I have more time to play around with it.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Maybe it will have the awesome notification feature they added to Android to tell you 50 times when there's a gate change!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe it will have the awesome notification feature they added to Android to tell you 50 times when there's a gate change!
The current app told me there was a gate change this morning when there wasn't. 50 times wrong would have been even better!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
The new app is certainly a major improvement. I need to play with it a bit more to really assess the different features but so far, so good.

Agree with others that the image on the main screen uses too much real estate.

And it is nice to finally have the Altitude card added to the Apple Wallet.

^ AC. Keep up the good work
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Agree with others that the image on the main screen uses too much real estate.
This seems to be a common issue with web design these days... annoying as hell.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Is the flight distance still in km, or did they change to miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.