Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Agents questioning residence - why?

Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

Recently I have noticed that AC agents at both LHR and FRA have started asking me whether I live in Canada after I show them my Canadian passport for the docs check. I don't recall them asking this additional question before. I wonder why they are doing it - surely a Canadian passport should be sufficient to determine if I can board the plane.

Anyone else notice this or have any ideas?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Recently I have noticed that AC agents at both LHR and FRA have started asking me whether I live in Canada after I show them my Canadian passport for the docs check. I don't recall them asking this additional question before. I wonder why they are doing it - surely a Canadian passport should be sufficient to determine if I can board the plane.

Is your Altitude address also in Canada? Maybe they're checking for AQD purposes.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Why is it their business if you have CDN passport?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
No, this hasn't happened on my last ex-Europe TATLs.

Also:

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Why is it their business if you have CDN passport?
This ^
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:53 am

Were these roundtrips from Europe, or itineraries that went anywhere other than Canada?

If you answered 'no', you might (reasonably) be asked for a live/work visa for the place the ticket ended.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On TIMATIC one is usually asked to enter country of residence as well as passport. Sometimes, in rare cases, this can affect entry requirements.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Interesting theories - thanks for sharing - if it happens again I'll ask why they want to know
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
One time flying LH MUC-SFO, I had to go through a huge hassle because the address I had listed when I checked in was the in US, and I had a Canadian passport.

Had I said I lived in Canada, it would have been a lot less pain, but living in the US, they had to go enter all kinds of visa information, etc.

So if there was a connection on the ticket to somewhere other than Canada, this makes a lot of sense.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
One time flying LH MUC-SFO, I had to go through a huge hassle because the address I had listed when I checked in was the in US, and I had a Canadian passport.

Had I said I lived in Canada, it would have been a lot less pain, but living in the US, they had to go enter all kinds of visa information, etc.

So if there was a connection on the ticket to somewhere other than Canada, this makes a lot of sense.
When feeling lazy, I generally told them I plan to drive back home / take the bus
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:33 pm

... have any ideas?
Another layer in the security theatre?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:44 pm

Residency is a APIS requirement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...rmation_System
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You have to state your country of residence when doing OLCI or kiosk check-in for international flights to Canada or the US, so why does it matter if a human agent asks you the same question?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This may be part of the "enhanced security questioning" all airlines are required to do to fly to North America to catch terrorists, it's usually more common with departures to the US. Yes, that involves asking small-talk like what you were visiting Europe for, how long you stayed, where are you going, where do you live, etc.

It's annoying as all hell.

There's also the new ETA requirement that came out too, for visitors to Canada, might be related to that.

Last edited by keitherson; Jun 30, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
All you have to do is smile, and shuffle your head right and left a couple of times, and the interrogation will stop. you will be then invited to board in zone 0.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by kwflyer
All you have to do is smile, and shuffle your head right and left a couple of times, and the interrogation will stop. you will be then invited to board in zone 0.
Like in a bollywood movie? Or some genie?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.