Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SFO Lounges - Flying AC/UA J Where should I park myself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Next month, Mrs. Toddcan and I will be heading to Oahu on a rewards J flight (technically, I). We don't fly much, so I like to enjoy the experience, including lounges, and nice seats. I specifically grabbed the AC YYZ-SFO flight on the 767, and not the Airbus - just to grab the pods (yes, I know it's only a 5 hr flight).

Anyways, we have a 6 hr gap between our YYZ-SFO and our SFO-HNL flight. The SFO-NHL flight is on UA, if that matters, and I am trying to decide which SFO lounge to spend our time in. I've been to SFO last month, but I flew Y, so the only lounge I checked out was the Amex Centurion in T1. It was nice. Very nice. But, what about the other lounges? Having an Amex Plat card, there are options. Flying business gives me more options. Am also a Priority Pass member.

According to my itinerary, I'm flying into the international terminal in SFO - but the UA flight to HNL leaves from terminal 3. What I do remember was that I could get to the Centurian lounge (in Terminal 1) from the International Terminal without going through a TSA check (there was a walkway from INTL to T1 which side skirted a TSA checkpoint. SO, I think that is still an option.

Flying out of T3 in SFO, I see there are 2 United lounges I could visit - the United Club which is a new one near gate 72 in T3, or, I can visit the United Arrivals lounge, which appears to be in the same general area? The United arrivals lounge gets better reviews from what I read.

With the Priority Pass membership, according to my phone app, it tells me I also have access to the AirFrance/KLM lounge in the INTL terminal. But the description says "airside concourse A" - not sure if I have access to that area, and I will be flying OUT of concourse G (T3).

However, I read that the SFO airport has several TSA checkpoints - you cannot simple walk around the entire loop (confirm?) - which means some of these lounges might mean going through checks that I would otherwise not need.

Lots of preamble.. please forgive me. But, for me, these experiences are rare, so I thought I'd come here and ask recommendations from the much more seasoned fliers and lounge users.

I'd prefer not to have to go through more TSA checks than I need to - ie - unlikely to go through a TSA check JUST to get to a specific lounge (but I will if there is a clear "best" lounge").

Any suggestions on the lounge we should park ourselves for the 5-6 hours?

(BTW, yes, I have thought about grabbing a cab to SFO for a few hours- but I just did that last month - so a relaxing airport stay is what I'm looking for)
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
SFO has several terminals which are not always connected airside. LAX seem ok with allowing you to enter terminals with a BP even if your flight is at another terminal so maybe SFO will too.
IMHO I prefer the Centurion lounge. It can get slightly crowded but the bar staff make some good cocktails, the liquor available is very decent, the food is also way better than at the other lounges, specially the US lounges. You can get to the Centurion lounge from the international terminal where AC is, by taking the escalator down and walking across the tunnel so you would not have to redo security. The UA lounge is big but nothing spectacular. If you have Star Alliance Gold you can also use the EVA and SQ lounges though they tend to be open only when they have flights departing and they will try and encourage you to use the UA lounge instead. I have not used the AF/KLM lounge even though I have Priority Pass too. I believe (not sure) your Hawaii flight on UA will be nearer the Centurion lounge as the Centurion lounge seems to be right in front of a bunch of UA gates in term 3, so you should not have to clear security again once you arrive on AC. Perhaps some other posters can chime in.
Centurion lounge is in term 3 lower level.
www.flysfo.com/maps

Last edited by vernonc; Jun 24, 2016 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
You are always free to enter any terminal with a valid boarding pass for that day. The UA lounges are nothing special but there are a number that you can test.

I believe Centerion is limited to Amex Platinum. The Singapore lounge is pretty strict on international only not sure about EVA but the hours are quite limited.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Toddcan
Next month, Mrs. Toddcan and I will be heading to Oahu on a rewards J flight (technically, I). We don't fly much, so I like to enjoy the experience, including lounges, and nice seats. I specifically grabbed the AC YYZ-SFO flight on the 767, and not the Airbus - just to grab the pods (yes, I know it's only a 5 hr flight).

Anyways, we have a 6 hr gap between our YYZ-SFO and our SFO-HNL flight. The SFO-NHL flight is on UA, if that matters, and I am trying to decide which SFO lounge to spend our time in. I've been to SFO last month, but I flew Y, so the only lounge I checked out was the Amex Centurion in T1. It was nice. Very nice. But, what about the other lounges? Having an Amex Plat card, there are options. Flying business gives me more options. Am also a Priority Pass member.

According to my itinerary, I'm flying into the international terminal in SFO - but the UA flight to HNL leaves from terminal 3. What I do remember was that I could get to the Centurian lounge (in Terminal 1) from the International Terminal without going through a TSA check (there was a walkway from INTL to T1 which side skirted a TSA checkpoint. SO, I think that is still an option.

Flying out of T3 in SFO, I see there are 2 United lounges I could visit - the United Club which is a new one near gate 72 in T3, or, I can visit the United Arrivals lounge, which appears to be in the same general area? The United arrivals lounge gets better reviews from what I read.

With the Priority Pass membership, according to my phone app, it tells me I also have access to the AirFrance/KLM lounge in the INTL terminal. But the description says "airside concourse A" - not sure if I have access to that area, and I will be flying OUT of concourse G (T3).

However, I read that the SFO airport has several TSA checkpoints - you cannot simple walk around the entire loop (confirm?) - which means some of these lounges might mean going through checks that I would otherwise not need.
The KLM lounge is nicer than the UA clubs (although it's been 3 years since I flew UA and they've made improvements), and is close to being on par with a Maple Leaf Club in terms of the food and amenities.

But as you noted, the KLM lounge is in the A section of the International Terminal - although you'll have access to INTL(A) with your boarding pass, you have to re-clear security to get to the INTL(G) gates.

IMO you're best off staying in T3/INTL(G), as T3 and G gates are connected post-security and you'd have access to both a UA club and the Centurion lounge, and don't bother with the KLM lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What is your basis for access? Assuming you are *G or have a MLL membershp, you can access any of the 3 United Clubs. SQ limits access to international departures and BR limits access to its own pax. The UA Arrivals lounge is exclusively for arriving UA international pax in J or F (and Canada does not count).

If you're not *G/MLL member, you'll be limited to AMEX or PP lounges.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
What is your basis for access? Assuming you are *G or have a MLL membershp, you can access any of the 3 United Clubs. SQ limits access to international departures and BR limits access to its own pax. The UA Arrivals lounge is exclusively for arriving UA international pax in J or F (and Canada does not count).

If you're not *G/MLL member, you'll be limited to AMEX or PP lounges.
OP is travelling in J
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Toddcan

Lots of preamble.. please forgive me. But, for me, these experiences are rare, so I thought I'd come here and ask recommendations from the much more seasoned fliers and lounge users.

I'd prefer not to have to go through more TSA checks than I need to - ie - unlikely to go through a TSA check JUST to get to a specific lounge (but I will if there is a clear "best" lounge").

Any suggestions on the lounge we should park ourselves for the 5-6 hours?

(BTW, yes, I have thought about grabbing a cab to SFO for a few hours- but I just did that last month - so a relaxing airport stay is what I'm looking for)
Centurion lounge would be your best bet by far. I've done this layover twice and the Cent lounge is much better than any of the United Clubs or the KLM lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zwkchong
Centurion lounge would be your best bet by far. I've done this layover twice and the Cent lounge is much better than any of the United Clubs or the KLM lounge.
This. This this this.

OP mentioned the Centurion lounge is in T1. It is not. It's in T3.

AC lands in international G, which has an airside connection to T3, where United flies.

If you get off the plane and immediately start walking to your United gate (do NOT leave security), you will pass the Centurion lounge. Go in there.

I have been in every airside lounge accessible from T3 and international G, and it is by far the best.

The United Global First lounge (which you do not have access to) only beats Centurion in terms of how many people are in there. In every other way, Centurion beats it.

BR and SQ have nothing on it, unless you really want Asian food.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vernonc
OP is travelling in J
So? There is no lounge access for a domestic US itinerary SFO-HNL. UA has different rules from AC.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So? There is no lounge access for a domestic US itinerary SFO-HNL. UA has different rules from AC.
It's not a domestic itinerary. It's YYZ-SFO-HNL. That entitles you to UC access.

However, it's completely irrelevant, because Toddcan has access to the Centurion lounge.

I have no issue with a United Club for 20-30 minutes before a flight. Simple drink, crackers and cheese. I love it.

But for SIX HOURS? Centurion please.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Free Agent
Centurion for all the right reasons- food, ambience. mostly because you can and lots can't.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's not a domestic itinerary. It's YYZ-SFO-HNL. That entitles you to UC access.
That is incorrect. Not where YYZ-SFO is on AC and the pax is not *G or a MLL member.

There is no access to the UC based either on the AC arrival in J or a UA domestic departure in F.

I suggest you read the UC access rules. Lounge Access.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Originally Posted by canadiancow

However, it's completely irrelevant, because Toddcan has access to the Centurion lounge.

I have no issue with a United Club for 20-30 minutes before a flight. Simple drink, crackers and cheese. I love it.

But for SIX HOURS? Centurion please.
UA will likely not give you access to the UC in SFO. Count yourself lucky if you get in. It's only on the international leg IME. You'd get access if you're *G.

With AMEX Plat, use the Centurion.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AC*SE
That is incorrect. Not where YYZ-SFO is on AC and the pax is not *G or a MLL member.

There is no access to the UC based either on the AC arrival in J or a UA domestic departure in F.

I suggest you read the UC access rules. Lounge Access.
This is also my understanding. But IMHO it's a moot point as the United Clubs are not even worth walking into if you have access to the Centurion Lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by sinalet
But IMHO it's a moot point as the United Clubs are not even worth walking into if you have access to the Centurion Lounge.
100% agree.

The only issue is overcrowding at SFO . . . it's become a serious problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.