Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SFO Lounges - Flying AC/UA J Where should I park myself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Lounges - Flying AC/UA J Where should I park myself?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Thanks to everyone comments I will be trying The centurion lounge on my 4 hr layover in SFO. It will be my first experience in a centurion lounge.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maradori
Having read the UA board enough, you're right about the "final answer" part. If you really have the time, feel free to post a similar question on the UA board and see if people there can feed you magical words to kindly "inform" the lounge dragon that you indeed have access
Oooops.. I tried posting the same question in the UA Forums, but was immediately shut down as it's a duplicate thread. I did change the wording - and the specific question asked - but obviously I left the (lengthy) preamble too close to this thread.

Ah well - I'll take my chances at the lounge counter.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Toddcan
Oooops.. I tried posting the same question in the UA Forums, but was immediately shut down as it's a duplicate thread. I did change the wording - and the specific question asked - but obviously I left the (lengthy) preamble too close to this thread.

Ah well - I'll take my chances at the lounge counter.
I think you'll be fine. I've never been turned away from an AC or UA lounge when the computer made it clear I had access.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
OP, why not both lounges if you are intent to remain in the terminal? To get to the Centurion Club you will walk right by the United Club in the International Terminal before you head on down to terminal 3.

Though I am not sure you can get in based on what is below:

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Those flying UA F/J transborder flight, i.e., starting in Canada and ending in the U.S. or v.v., they are entitled to use the UC at all connecting and destination airports.

There is a technical issue here since the first flight is not on UA. So I don't know if OP is able to use the UC at SFO. If the first flight is on UA, I can tell from personal experience that there should be no issue to use the UC at SFO.

I agree with others that the Centurion Lounge is far superior than any UC at SFO.
It has been the policy for Star Alliance carriers to allow access for business class passengers from the departing airport of the international flight. UA makes an exception for all UA itineraries and you can access UA clubs anywhere. Unless this has changed, you may not make it in as HNL is not an international destination from SFO and you arrive on AC. Departure back to Canada will give you access. So you can try! Good luck and report back!

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I don't have Amex.

AC just started YYC-SFO direct. I used to fly UA.

Which would be the best lounge other than centurion, in my situation (*G on AC to YYC).
Lounge amenities are similar, but avoid the UC around 70 gets massively crowded. As in no two seats together and people hovering around those they expect to leave.

Originally Posted by maradori;26833455

Caveat: GG was a thing that UA used to use (see [url
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1452004-gg-code-united-internal-policies-master-list-2.html[/url]) but after the COdbaUA merger, donno what the new policy list thing is called
GG lives. It is coding from CO, not UA, So it came riding into the merger on the back of the antiquated horse it was riding, CO's IT systems.

Last edited by uanj; Jun 27, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
For 6 hours I will take the BART and have a quick visit of San Francisco...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
For 6 hours I will take the BART and have a quick visit of San Francisco...
I would too, if I didn't JUST do that 4 weeks ago. I'm actually looking forward to being a lounge lizard (not Larry), and simply relaxing, reading, laptop crap, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
I will be in SFO Centurion Lounge this afternoon!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Make it a lounge-hopping adventure!

Since you have 6 hours, why not try all four lounges in International G and T3? Afterwards, you can write a comprehensive review of each of the offerings, or make a mockmentary style film that could be a parody of the Tom Hanks movie "The Terminal", only called "The Lounge Hopper".

Start off at the UC in the International Terminal after you get off your YYZ-SFO flight. Hopefully Chow is working at the bar - she's amazing! Hilarious personality and a very heavy pour. I love the way she commands the bar. And her make-up is hilarious - just imagine that episode of the Simpsons when Homer invents the make-up gun and tests it out on Marge. She's my FAVOURITE thing about the UC, and I'll shamefully admit that I've boarded a few too many SFO-YYZ/YVR/YUL flights a bit too tipsy thanks to her generosity. I also love it when customers are rude or bossy to her, and she shuns them....

Then hit up the Centurion Lounge in T3 as soon as you enter. If you're at gate 72-75, they are right in front of the gate. I cannot comment on anything about this lounge, since I've never been. But I'm hoping one day a canadiancow will invite me to be their guest of honour prior to enjoy some classic AC in air hospitality.

Then, meander down to the new UC just passed gate 68 in the lovely new renovated wing for Gates 60-72. It is a nice new layout - sometimes a bit full, but I would say 80% of the time I've been there it has been only 50-75% full - and the grumpy bartender from the old UC down near the other gates is there!! He's also one of my faves, and by grumpy I mean he doesn't smile, but your glass is never empty. It is also great watching him give people dirty looks when they order alcohol before 8am (and then asking for the same thing and seeing how he responds!). There is also a nice view of the gates so you can easily see if your departing plane has arrived (or if you have time for more cheese and hummus and the random soup they serve).

Then stretch your legs and take the walking sidewalk down to what I refer to as "Wayward Pines", the UC that is down where gates 76-90. Always interesting for the people watching alone based solely on the volume of traffic, and highly entertaining if you sit near the bar. I can't tell you the number of potential extramarital affairs I've watched develop thanks to people having delayed flights and consuming endless glasses of house "chardonnay".

Sounds like fun, eh? You should totally do it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mugatu
Start off at the UC in the International Terminal after you get off your YYZ-SFO flight. Hopefully Chow is working at the bar - she's amazing! Hilarious personality and a very heavy pour. I love the way she commands the bar. And her make-up is hilarious - just imagine that episode of the Simpsons when Homer invents the make-up gun and tests it out on Marge. She's my FAVOURITE thing about the UC, and I'll shamefully admit that I've boarded a few too many SFO-YYZ/YVR/YUL flights a bit too tipsy thanks to her generosity. I also love it when customers are rude or bossy to her, and she shuns them....
Wow. I can't say that rings a bell, but if she's one of the few who has made fun of my appearance, I'm not impressed.

Then hit up the Centurion Lounge in T3 as soon as you enter. If you're at gate 72-75, they are right in front of the gate. I cannot comment on anything about this lounge, since I've never been. But I'm hoping one day a canadiancow will invite me to be their guest of honour prior to enjoy some classic AC in air hospitality.
Tomorrow? Mid afternoon?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Since you have 6 hours, why not try all four lounges in International G and T3? Afterwards, you can write a comprehensive review of each of the offerings, or make a mockmentary style film that could be a parody of the Tom Hanks movie "The Terminal", only called "The Lounge Hopper".

Then, meander down to the new UC just passed gate 68 in the lovely new renovated wing for Gates 60-72. It is a nice new layout - sometimes a bit full, but I would say 80% of the time I've been there it has been only 50-75% full - and the grumpy bartender from the old UC down near the other gates is there!! He's also one of my faves, and by grumpy I mean he doesn't smile, but your glass is never empty. It is also great watching him give people dirty looks when they order alcohol before 8am (and then asking for the same thing and seeing how he responds!). There is also a nice view of the gates so you can easily see if your departing plane has arrived (or if you have time for more cheese and hummus and the random soup they serve).

Then stretch your legs and take the walking sidewalk down to what I refer to as "Wayward Pines", the UC that is down where gates 76-90. Always interesting for the people watching alone based solely on the volume of traffic, and highly entertaining if you sit near the bar. I can't tell you the number of potential extramarital affairs I've watched develop thanks to people having delayed flights and consuming endless glasses of house "chardonnay".

Sounds like fun, eh? You should totally do it.
Love the post - love the style. I'm actually going to print this one out -you give very good directions on the lounge locations. Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Didn't want to start a new thread for AC lounge access in SFO.

This is interesting.

"Singapore Airlines to close San Francisco airport lounge"

November 30 2016

QUOTES:

"Singapore Airlines will close its San Francisco SilverKris airport lounge in 2017 in order to create a massive split-level Polaris business class lounge for Star Alliance partner United Airlines.

United's new Polaris lounge – which will be built in the footprint of the current United Club, just past the airport's security screening zone – will also swallow up the adjacent EVA Air lounge.

A spokesperson for United Airlines has laid out its lounge plans for San Francisco to TravelSkills blogger Chris McGinnis, advising that the mega-lounge will open in two stages from mid-2017 to end the of 2017.

.....Frequent flyers travelling in economy or premium economy will make their way to the airport's less-salubrious United Club lounges, one of which will spring up – using the newest United Club concept – in the downstairs space of the current Global First lounge near gate 94."

other comments in link

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...airport-lounge
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:07 pm

Hmmm I wonder what AC J will have access to. Would they negotiate for Polaris, or relegate us to the "economy or premium economy" lounge?

Edit: nm. Looks like they're going to Asian airline style of having a good J lounge and a bad *G lounge (as opposed to the LX/LH style of a good *G lounge and bad J lounge).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
United's new Polaris lounge – which will be built in the footprint of the current United Club, just past the airport's security screening zone – will also swallow up the adjacent EVA Air lounge.
Even though I don't fly out of G terminal anymore, omg even the BR lounge too? NOOOOOooooooo........

edit: wait, I don't fly out of the G terminal anymore, YAAAAAAAAS!!!! ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Didn't want to start a new thread for AC lounge access in SFO.

This is interesting.

"Singapore Airlines to close San Francisco airport lounge"

November 30 2016

QUOTES:

"Singapore Airlines will close its San Francisco SilverKris airport lounge in 2017 in order to create a massive split-level Polaris business class lounge for Star Alliance partner United Airlines.

A spokesperson for United Airlines has laid out its lounge plans for San Francisco to TravelSkills blogger Chris McGinnis, advising that the mega-lounge will open in two stages from mid-2017 to end the of 2017.

.....Frequent flyers travelling in economy or premium economy will make their way to the airport's less-salubrious United Club lounges, one of which will spring up – using the newest United Club concept – in the downstairs space of the current Global First lounge near gate 94."

other comments in link

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...airport-lounge
At SFO, Centurion is my default. The Singapore lounge was not that great other than it had some decent food. Never been to the EVA lounge in SFO though the ones in TPE are quite good. So where will AC status pax and J pax will have access ?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
At SFO, Centurion is my default. The Singapore lounge was not that great other than it had some decent food. Never been to the EVA lounge in SFO though the ones in TPE are quite good. So where will AC status pax and J pax will have access ?
Definitely the United Club.

And if the article is accurate, Polaris is for business class passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.