Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would apply only to a seat swap at boarding with no further swaps during the flight.
Why? I genuinely don't understand. Maybe the airline looks at it that way because, as tracon pointed out above, because they stand to lose a fair bit of revenue if parties > 1 "share" a J seat throughout the flight. While it's not like 2 meals will be served, I fully appreciate that snacks and alcohol consumption will likely be higher than if one unique passenger occupied the seat.

But I don't understand why other J pax should care unless they're being bothered.

Or unless it's a class issue.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Actually, it is.

The main objection seems to be "the Y pax didn't pay for J" which implicitly brings class into the equation. The reality is that if the buyer of the J product is ok with swapping into a Y pax's seat, then other J pax should really have no say in the matter*.

*This assumes the swap is performed as discreetly and with as minimal disruption as possible to the J cabin. You know, like pax A gets up to go to the lav and pax B takes the seat a few moments later. In other words, no more "disruptive" than a normal activity which happens countless times in any J cabin on any flight where the seatbelt isn't on for the whole flight.
that's just like your opinion man.

kidding.

you are adding an assumption that, while simple sounding and logical, is difficult to achieve in reality because people can frequently be disruptive and inconsiderate. not saying OP falls into this camp at all...just making a general observation.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it is.

The main objection seems to be "the Y pax didn't pay for J" which implicitly brings class into the equation. The reality is that if the buyer of the J product is ok with swapping into a Y pax's seat, then other J pax should really have no say in the matter*.

*This assumes the swap is performed as discreetly and with as minimal disruption as possible to the J cabin. You know, like pax A gets up to go to the lav and pax B takes the seat a few moments later. In other words, no more "disruptive" than a normal activity which happens countless times in any J cabin on any flight where the seatbelt isn't on for the whole flight.
+1 - and thanks for taking the time to add the disruption factor. My point was the idea that swapping or visiting is not objectionable between two J's but is between a J and Y, is at heart a vestigal expression of a senseless class system. It's all about and only about the curtain (btw, I fly only J on anything longer than 3 hours. I like J).

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 23, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by songsc
LOL I am just wondering if a guy sits in Y and his GF sits in J, would this discussion be any different?
Yes, because it's only bad when the girl's in the back.

Sexism only works one way.

Actually, it is.

I'm flying YVR-HKG with a friend. We'd both like to get 5 hours of sleep.

So we buy one J seat and one Y seat, swapping halfway through.

You really don't see why AC would have an issue with that arrangement?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm flying YVR-HKG with a friend. We'd both like to get 5 hours of sleep.

So we buy one J seat and one Y seat, swapping halfway through.

You really don't see why AC would have an issue with that arrangement?
I've already conceded that AC would have an issue with that arrangement.

I was responding to suggestions that other J pax have issue with this on a class basis. I agree with that suggestion because if -- again, ONLY IF -- "swappers" are as discreet in swapping, then other J pax should not be concerned with said swap.

Last edited by ffsim; Jun 23, 2016 at 12:52 pm Reason: Added link to post 61
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:58 pm

I've already conceded that AC would have an issue with that arrangement.

I was responding to suggestions that other J pax have issue with this on a class basis. I agree with that suggestion because if -- again, ONLY IF -- "swappers" are as discreet in swapping, then other J pax should not be concerned with said swap.
I just don't see it being discreet.

When I get up to pee, I slide my tray forward, lower the aisle armrest, get out, and go.

When I get up to move to another cabin, I slide my tray forward, lower the aisle armrest, pack up all my stuff, grab something from the overhead bin, etc.

Then the other person does the opposite.

Unless they're leaving all their stuff in their original seat, it's not going to be "discreet".

And I'll get right back to my original point. If I notice, it's not discreet.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I get up to pee, I slide my tray forward, lower the aisle armrest, get out, and go.

When I get up to move to another cabin, I slide my tray forward, lower the aisle armrest, pack up all my stuff, grab something from the overhead bin, etc.

Unless they're leaving all their stuff in their original seat, it's not going to be "discreet".

The same objection would arise if all done by two J pax, right? Because swapping seats Y to J doesn't have to involve moving stuff at all.
Same goes for cleaning out the snax, right? Or gabbing loudly and incessantly. Certainly in my experience, loud and obnoxious don't always get left at the gate in J.
This is about courtesy and disruption, not at all about the fare paid, right? Except to the carrier of course. For them it's ALL about the fare.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

Then we have different definitions of being discreet. If you can get out of your seat when you slide your tray forward, lower the aisle armrest, get out and go, then someone can come right back into the seat without doing anything else.

And since when has grabbing stuff from an overhead bin become such a no-no in J? I'll admit that maybe I'm rusty on my J etiquette, but I'll keep things in the overhead bin until I need them. At which point I'll open the bin, take down my bag, grab what I need, put the bag back, and close the bin. Again, if someone comes with a laptop bag to take my seat, there's absolutely no extra disruption versus what going on in a J cabin on any given flight.

I totally get that AC doesn't want this. It's not good for AC from a business standpoint and they may very well have policies in place to prevent such swaps. Good for them, and good for the SDs for enforcing those policies. But any J passenger who complains about a ninja-style swap which causes no more ruckus than any normal activity in any normal J cabin is simply not minding their own business. Or wants to feel superior about sitting up front. I'll accept either of those explanations.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Reading this thread gives me chuckles. Next time I fly long TATL in J (something like YYC-FRA or longer) I'm going to make sure I drink lots of fluid throughout the flight and visit the washroom as often as possible.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Reading this thread gives me chuckles. Next time I fly long TATL in J (something like YYC-FRA or longer) I'm going to make sure I drink lots of fluid throughout the flight and visit the washroom as often as possible.
Have some baked beans while you're at it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I've swapped with my wife in both directions once or twice and several times had the SD offer to send a desert or glass if wine back to steerage. It doesn't hurt to pleasantly, discretly ask and pleasantly accept whatever they say.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:34 pm

And since when has grabbing stuff from an overhead bin become such a no-no in J? I'll admit that maybe I'm rusty on my J etiquette, but I'll keep things in the overhead bin until I need them. At which point I'll open the bin, take down my bag, grab what I need, put the bag back, and close the bin. Again, if someone comes with a laptop bag to take my seat, there's absolutely no extra disruption versus what going on in a J cabin on any given flight.
It's not a "no-no in J".

It's a "no-no" when you're doing it to trade places with someone, in the middle of the flight.

It's a matter of "how much of this would not have happened if you'd both been sitting in your ticketed cabin the entire flight".
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE
Most seat swaps are not quiet or discrete

Here's an example of why this is not OK and how seat swaps can disturb other passengers. I was traveling in J on a TPAC AC flight. The passenger next to me was traveling in J, while it seemed that his wife and kids were traveling in Y.

About an hour after dinner, and just after I'd gotten to sleep, I was woken up by some commotion nearby. The passenger's son had joined, and the dad was standing next to my pod, giving the son a lecture on how to recline and adjust the pod, as well as chatting in general. I was annoyed, but figured it was over with, so went back to sleep.

About 4 hours later I was woken up again with the dad back in J to swap back to his J seat, standing above my seat and having a loud conversation as they swapped seats again. So they did 2 seat swaps during the flight, with the Dad sitting in the J seat for the two meals, and the son using the J seat for a ~4 hour nap mid-flight.

Needless to say, I was not pleased being woken up twice during the flight.

This is why J seat swaps are not OK.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:55 pm

It's not a "no-no in J".
Fair enough... I guess I was previously taken aback by this suggestion

Originally Posted by jc94
...even deciding to open the overhead bin which most J passengers will try to avoid (ime) - now that is going to disturb people.

It's a "no-no" when you're doing it to trade places with someone, in the middle of the flight.
My point, which either you disagree with (that's fair) or I haven't made clear enough (very likely), is that it's the exact same noise/disruption/process as a J pax getting some stuff from his bag. And the argument completely goes away if neither swapper has any cabin baggage -- it's literally a case of "I got up to go to the washroom and someone else took my seat." Unless you're checking ID, you shouldn't even notice.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gcashin
Here's an example of why this is not OK and how seat swaps can disturb other passengers. I was traveling in J on a TPAC AC flight. The passenger next to me was traveling in J, while it seemed that his wife and kids were traveling in Y.

About an hour after dinner, and just after I'd gotten to sleep, I was woken up by some commotion nearby. The passenger's son had joined, and the dad was standing next to my pod, giving the son a lecture on how to recline and adjust the pod, as well as chatting in general. I was annoyed, but figured it was over with, so went back to sleep.

About 4 hours later I was woken up again with the dad back in J to swap back to his J seat, standing above my seat and having a loud conversation as they swapped seats again. So they did 2 seat swaps during the flight, with the Dad sitting in the J seat for the two meals, and the son using the J seat for a ~4 hour nap mid-flight.

Needless to say, I was not pleased being woken up twice during the flight.

This is why J seat swaps are not OK.

Did you alert any crew?

It seems that some posters here see no problem of mid-flight swap, others see no problem if done with no disruption of other (J) pax, and some have an issue - with valid reasons.

Does anyone know if there is an Air Canada policy on these matters?

Does anyone know what to do should the SD not want to do anything when approached?

REMINDER

The airlines created FFPs. The airlines decided on the names and requirements for each level.

Essentially what resulted was a class-based society above the clouds.

Those who flew a lot and/or paid a lot to be at the top of "society" may get a wee bit annoyed should others try to get access to their goodies without paying for them. Look at FT, not just AC, but other airline and hotel forums. There are many threads on these matters.

For some of you it might be annoying. People taking food and snacks from J who did not pay to sit in J is annoying to me, Y and J pax swapping seats might be annoying to others.

We all get to be annoyed and I think this is partly the net result of these programs.

Nobility/Aristocracy vs Peasants - Frequent Flying Division.

Last edited by 24left; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:16 pm Reason: Spelling, what else

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.