Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I don't see how it is an issue to switch seats mid flights, esp when its done quietly and discreetly
Srsly guys?
From a business perspective, it's not the quietly and discreetly that's the problem.
A 15 hour flight is long enough for 3 passengers to each get a decent sleep & meal in one seat.
I send three employees on this trip. I buy one J & 2 Y seats. I then tell the group they have to share the J seat. Saves me $$!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
The J seat is for the use of the J passenger. It's not a flophouse for itinerants and wannabes and is not to be run as an AirBNB type operation.

As for the GF in Y, not a good idea. Get her upgraded or pay full freight for J, unless of course you plan not to have her as a girlfriend in the near future.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:04 am

In the end it doesn't really matter what any of us on this forum thinks. Air Canada's rules prohibit it and they will make the final decision. According to my AC friends it is not allowed so the OP should not be surprised when he asks to switch (or interact) with his girlfriend to be turned down.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:08 am

Another option is you let her fly one way in J and you get J on the return.

I've traded seats with my wife (J/Y) but told the SD before take off and never switched during the flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:40 am

I think OP should have the idea that switching seats is not a good idea.

Let her sit in Y, go say hi from time to time and she'll be fine.

I don't get the comments implying that if you don't get her in J she'll dump you or it'll caus harm to the relationship. It it does you'll know she's not a keeper.

I was in same boat years ago. Work paid for J seat. My girlfriend wanted to join me on the trip but couldn't afford J. It made for some funny conversatio s with others. But we ended up getting married and now we fly J together. Or Y.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by mapleg
The J seat is for the use of the J passenger. It's not a flophouse for itinerants and wannabes and is not to be run as an AirBNB type operation.
Right, and such J pax should be able to utilize the J seat paid for by him/her in the way he/she see fit as long as others are not disturbed.
it's called minding ones own business as oppose to...you know
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
What a joke...

...wife and I have done this many times with nary a peep from other J passengers or the in-charge.
I have no problem with J passengers having an issue with someone coming up from Y for a conversation, or clearing out the snack basket.
But someone getting up and another person sitting down is no different that me getting up to use the loo and sitting back down.
I always tell the in charge we are switching and have NEVER had an issue.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The issue has to be it's going to vary how discrete someone can be. Last row has got to be a given, the rest depends upon the people involved.

Standing up and moving to the washroom (or back to Y) is one thing, but collecting all your personal belongings, ...... about with the seat, even deciding to open the overhead bin which most J passengers will try to avoid (ime) - now that is going to disturb people. Especially if it's half way through a flight with the lights low.

End of the day, it's a SD decision though. Is that good? I don't know, it's certainly unlikely to yield consistent results though.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94
The issue has to be it's going to vary how discrete someone can be.
This comes from trying to educate (and not trying be a jerk):
http://grammarist.com/usage/discrete-discreet/

Cheers,
bawm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: TK *G
LOL I am just wondering if a guy sits in Y and his GF sits in J, would this discussion be any different?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can two J pax swap seats? Can one J get up, stand in the aisle and visit another J? Can a Z swap with a J?
So is this really about the curtain?
Is this whole discussion - flight crew safety issues aside - really about an antiquated Victorian class system we've abandoned everywhere else but in aircraft fuselages?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Is this whole discussion - flight crew safety issues aside - really about an antiquated Victorian class system we've abandoned everywhere else but in aircraft fuselages?
No, it's not.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
No, it's not.
Actually, it is.

The main objection seems to be "the Y pax didn't pay for J" which implicitly brings class into the equation. The reality is that if the buyer of the J product is ok with swapping into a Y pax's seat, then other J pax should really have no say in the matter*.

*This assumes the swap is performed as discreetly and with as minimal disruption as possible to the J cabin. You know, like pax A gets up to go to the lav and pax B takes the seat a few moments later. In other words, no more "disruptive" than a normal activity which happens countless times in any J cabin on any flight where the seatbelt isn't on for the whole flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ffsim
Actually, it is.

The main objection seems to be "the Y pax didn't pay for J" which implicitly brings class into the equation. The reality is that if the buyer of the J product is ok with swapping into a Y pax's seat, then other J pax should really have no say in the matter*.

*This assumes the swap is performed as discreetly and with as minimal disruption as possible to the J cabin. You know, like pax A gets up to go to the lav and pax B takes the seat a few moments later. In other words, no more "disruptive" than a normal activity which happens countless times in any J cabin on any flight where the seatbelt isn't on for the whole flight.
That would apply only to a seat swap at boarding with no further swaps during the flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I wouldn't swap mid flight. I like the idea of you taking J there, gf takes J back, or vice versa.

I don't see this as a Victorian era class vestige issue at all. One should get what they pay for. The rules should be enforced consistently.

Societal nature moves us to classes. Even Soviet Russia had the proletariat, the political, the scientists, the athletes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.