Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Business Class and Economy Class Interaction QUESTION

Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why should he sit in Y and she in J?
Single are you sir?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Why should he sit in Y and she in J?
It will make the remainder of the journey that much more enjoyable.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dude, sit in economy. Let her sit in J.

There really is no other way.
OP can't do this if his employer is paying for the business class ticket. In fact, he really can't even swap seats during the flight.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
It would make more sense for Op to sit in 18 and let his GF sit in 11 or forward.
Dude, sit in economy. Let her sit in J.

There really is no other way.
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
+1
Filing this away as screening criterion in case Mr. FQ predeceases me and I'm in the market for a replacement.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:31 am
alc

Just to share my experience.

on a flight back from Int'l flight earlier this year (2 class - J and Y only), a SE that seat behind me (row 13) keep going up to the J cabin like 5 times in an hour. But on the 6th times, a FA stop the guy and say he can't do that. The guy ignore the FA and continue walk toward his friend in J. SD came over, ask the guy to go back to his Y seat and then state that his friend can come back but he can't go up. The guy said "I am Super Elite so how can this rule apply to me?" and SD say no and explain to him again. The guy sound very upset. Later when my wife came to visit me (she is in J - last row), she made a comment that when this DYKWIA guy that seat behind me came up to J cabin, he was chatting to his friends quite loud. So, perhaps, the FA/SD didn't really care at first knowing he is SE (SD came over at the beginning of the flight to greet the guy), but some J PAX might have complain to J FA / SD and hence they have to stop the guy from coming up to J.

OP - to me, your biggest issue will be that she is walking up from Y to J thru PY/PE cabin. The number of times when I get my wife sit in J while my daughter and myself if Y, I always make sure it is last row J and first row Y, so, it is just a quick swing over.

As suggested by others, I would also let your GF go to J and you back to Y. Mention it as you board the flight to FA or SD so they know why a female seating at a male PAX seat as the manifest will show a male PAX. I had done this many times with my wife and I found those are flights that the FA actually treat me very well. so, you start off on a good note to the FA / SD. Then half way thru the flight, during the "sleeping hours" your GF be the one that ask the J FA or SD if she can swap the seat back with you so "you - the super nice BF" can get some nice sleep too, they might be more than willing to let me get what you initially could have if you don't swap the seat at first.

Good Luck.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP can't do this if his employer is paying for the business class ticket. In fact, he really can't even swap seats during the flight.
Actually thats a good point, if its an OPM ticket, guess is there is some expectation of the OP being functional on arrival justifying the money being spent on the ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Filing this away as screening criterion in case Mr. FQ predeceases me and I'm in the market for a replacement.
Quote of the day. lol

(I like my replacements to include warranties....)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Actually thats a good point, if its an OPM ticket, guess is there is some expectation of the OP being functional on arrival justifying the money being spent on the ticket.
This is the of key importance I think, WHY did the Op get a business ticket? I know my work wouldn't especially care if I decided to give my J seat to my GF but that would only be because I wouldn't tell them

If you get in at 7pm Saturday and need to be functional for Monday you're good. If you arrive 3am Sunday and have a 9am presentation with a 12h timezone change, well I would argue you may need that seat more than her.

Other considerations... not to be personal here but how big are you both? If I'm 2m tall and my gf is 150cm then again I'd argue she's going to survive economy better than me.

Presumably, someone going with you on this trip is someone you've been seeing for a while so I'd certainly have a conversation depending upon needs. Then buy an LMU.

If you can't afford or get an LMU to J, get one to PY (again if possible) and sit there while she's in J. if nothing else you'll be a lot closer and improve the odds of swapping. I'm making an assumption there is a PY on your flight, and I don't think that's at 100% yet on that route?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
....Presumably, someone going with you on this trip is someone you've been seeing for a while so I'd certainly have a conversation depending upon needs. Then buy an LMU.

If you can't afford or get an LMU to J, get one to PY (again if possible) and sit there while she's in J. if nothing else you'll be a lot closer and improve the odds of swapping. I'm making an assumption there is a PY on your flight, and I don't think that's at 100% yet on that route?

Upthread, I had suggested alternate seats:

Originally Posted by 24left
OP
It would make more sense for you to sit in 11, for eg. Although 11 and 18 are separated by PE, the real estate is closer. Then again, not sure of your travel dates and the cabin may be full.

Since I 've flown this 4 times recently, I knew the cabin

AC 15/16 is this and yes, PE too

Attached Images  
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Oh yes sorry I did read that and forgot.

Unless I'm mistaken that's the layout that completely curtains off PY from J too and yet half of PY uses the foward washrooms.

Presumably, especially given AC's newfound ability to address J passengers by name one would need to at least mention to a FA/SD that they are changing seats. I'm fairly sure eyebrows would be raised if the gender of the seat occupant doesn't match. In fact, don't FAs generally people changing seats because of seat plans in the event of, something bad happening?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I used to not really care about stuff like this, until I actually had a couple poor experiences with "interaction" of a J and Y passenger.

Now, I won't put up with it.

If one swap disturbs me (and if I notice it, that means you've distracted me from my movie, so it's disturbed me), I'm letting the SD know that it disturbed me.

If the "interaction" increases (talking in J when one of you is standing in the aisle near me, constant switching, passing food/drinks around, shouting at each other between cabins, etc.), so will my complaints.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Here's my answer:

Don't interact. There's no need. Stay in your cabin. You'll be there in a few hours.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:06 pm

I used to not really care about stuff like this, until I actually had a couple poor experiences with "interaction" of a J and Y passenger.

Now, I won't put up with it.

If one swap disturbs me (and if I notice it, that means you've distracted me from my movie, so it's disturbed me), I'm letting the SD know that it disturbed me.

If the "interaction" increases (talking in J when one of you is standing in the aisle near me, constant switching, passing food/drinks around, shouting at each other between cabins, etc.), so will my complaints.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by alc
Just to share my experience.

on a flight back from Int'l flight earlier this year (2 class - J and Y only), a SE that seat behind me (row 13) keep going up to the J cabin like 5 times in an hour. But on the 6th times, a FA stop the guy and say he can't do that. The guy ignore the FA and continue walk toward his friend in J. SD came over, ask the guy to go back to his Y seat and then state that his friend can come back but he can't go up. The guy said "I am Super Elite so how can this rule apply to me?" and SD say no and explain to him again. The guy sound very upset. Later when my wife came to visit me (she is in J - last row), she made a comment that when this DYKWIA guy that seat behind me came up to J cabin, he was chatting to his friends quite loud. So, perhaps, the FA/SD didn't really care at first knowing he is SE (SD came over at the beginning of the flight to greet the guy), but some J PAX might have complain to J FA / SD and hence they have to stop the guy from coming up to J.

OP - to me, your biggest issue will be that she is walking up from Y to J thru PY/PE cabin. The number of times when I get my wife sit in J while my daughter and myself if Y, I always make sure it is last row J and first row Y, so, it is just a quick swing over.

As suggested by others, I would also let your GF go to J and you back to Y. Mention it as you board the flight to FA or SD so they know why a female seating at a male PAX seat as the manifest will show a male PAX. I had done this many times with my wife and I found those are flights that the FA actually treat me very well. so, you start off on a good note to the FA / SD. Then half way thru the flight, during the "sleeping hours" your GF be the one that ask the J FA or SD if she can swap the seat back with you so "you - the super nice BF" can get some nice sleep too, they might be more than willing to let me get what you initially could have if you don't swap the seat at first.

Good Luck.
I would hope that the premium cabin passengers would complain to the SD and follow up with complaints to AC. The FAs and SD should have firmly stopped the guy at the first "visit."
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:12 pm

+1

I was at a BBQ tonight and 2 of my friends who are flight attendants were there. I posed the OP's question to them. They both agreed that the OP is welcome to go fro J to Y to 'interact' with his girlfriend but she cannot go up to J. They also agreed that switching seats mid-flight is not allowed.

People pay big bucks to be in Business Class, they want the space and peace. You can't have Economy passengers coming up for 'interaction'. That just dilutes the product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.