Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Pets in-cabin - first-come, first-serve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Pets in-cabin - first-come, first-serve?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan*E
Pets in-cabin - first-come, first-serve?

We're moving back to Canada this summer from the Middle East. We're planning on flying TLV-YYZ-YOW, and we have a 5 kg cat that we're hoping will travel in the cabin.

Having just gotten off the phone with AC, we're more confused than ever about the procedure for bringing the cat.

We paid the 100 CAD to "book" him on the flight, and there is apparently a 90 CAD charge if we need to take him off the reservation. At the same time, we were told that having him on the flight is a "first-come first-serve" proposition, so he could be bumped off the flight if there are too many other pets.

How does this actually work? (the particular AC agent we got on the phone was... not helpful)

Is it based on check-in time? (So does online check in "count"?)
Is it based on the time we see an agent at the physical check in desk?
What happens with our connection to YOW? Is he counted as "first in line" based on our check in time in TLV or does the clock somehow reset for the YYZ-YOW portion?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:10 pm

Get to the airport early?
I rarely see pets on board, maybe one out of ten flight or so. I doubt there would be a noah's arkful on yours.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
As a lifelong cat owner and lover, I'm baffled as to why you feel your cat needs to travel in the cabin with allergic humans who don't have a choice to be near it.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Amongst other things, because of the heat. As AC has *repeatedly* told me, they cannot and will not guarantee that a pet sent with the luggage will remain in a climate-controlled area throughout.

Since close friends of ours tragically lost their dog on a North America-Middle East flight a few years ago- the dog overheated while his cage was on the tarmac waiting for transfer from the plane- we're particularly sensitive to this particular issue.

If it somehow makes someone feel better, the cat's only allowed in economy, not business or PE. Apparently allergies are cabin-class dependent...
Old May 30, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
As a lifelong cat owner and lover, I'm baffled as to why you feel your cat needs to travel in the cabin with allergic humans who don't have a choice to be near it.
Too many pets have been lost by luggage handlers, and the heat that the pets would be subjected to would be too high. OP isn't bringing his cat with him on a one week vacation, they are making a cross continent move. There's no way in hell I would trust AC staff with my cats.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by montezume
Too many pets have been lost by luggage handlers, and the heat that the pets would be subjected to would be too high. OP isn't bringing his cat with him on a one week vacation, they are making a cross continent move. There's no way in hell I would trust AC staff with my cats.
Really and how many animals are lost every day? Before you write anything, I know about the LAX story. Heat? it maybe a little warmer on take off, but airlines heat the area pet are in, so being to hot is not a issue.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Really and how many animals are lost every day? Before you write anything, I know about the LAX story. Heat? it maybe a little warmer on take off, but airlines heat the area pet are in, so being to hot is not a issue.
http://globalnews.ca/news/897745/air...ers-complaint/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/after-2...port-1.1853664

“I think I would just ignore, it is local news doing a story on a lost dog,” the Air Canada email read. “Their entire government is shut down and about to default and this is how the US media spends its time.”
If this is how Air Canada staff feel about lost pets, then I wouldn't trust them at all with my pets.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by montezume
http://globalnews.ca/news/897745/air...ers-complaint/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/after-2...port-1.1853664

If this is how Air Canada staff feel about lost pets, then I wouldn't trust them at all with my pets.
So you bring up the LAX story anyways. You may not want your cat in the cabin, but I don't.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Well, he's going to have to get home one way or another, so if we could return to the topic at hand...?
Old May 30, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by YOWandbeyond
Well, he's going to have to get home one way or another, so if we could return to the topic at hand...?
My experience was that once I booked my flight, I had 24 hours to call in and "register" my cat. Seems like the policy hasn't changed, so as long as you call in after booking and "register" on both of your flights, you should be good to go (as long as their is still pet space or whatever).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...-in-cabin.html
Old May 30, 2016, 2:24 pm

I am not sure what the current procedure is but they way it used to be was they would add a special service request to your file saying you had an animal in the cabin. What they would do is they would pull up all the files with this service request on it and if there was more than the maximum amount allowed they would deny the request.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I'm going to say book and fly with confidence. In my many decades here, I have never (not once) had a Pet denied boarding from an aircraft because the maximum has been reached. I've also done many years of TLV flying, and it by no means would be our "Flagship Pet Flight". That honour goes to YYZ-PBI
Old May 30, 2016, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I'm going to say book and fly with confidence. In my many decades here, I have never (not once) had a Pet denied boarding from an aircraft because the maximum has been reached. I've also done many years of TLV flying, and it by no means would be our "Flagship Pet Flight". That honour goes to YYZ-PBI
But you're confirming that there is a maximum? Do you know what it is? Does it vary based on aircraft type?

I've never flown with a pet, but it is not inconceivable that I may one day fly with a cat, so these threads are interesting to me, both due to what the rules are, and how others perceive it.

The main reason I don't have a cat right now is that I live alone and I travel a lot. But if I were to get one, the only flying it would do is a one-way move to a new city.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by YOWandbeyond
If it somehow makes someone feel better, the cat's only allowed in economy, not business or PE. Apparently allergies are cabin-class dependent...
That's solely because the PE and business seats do not provide a safe space for the carrier (which has to go under the seat in front of you). Be aware this will rob most of your legroom.

Get to the airport early. "First come, first served" pertains to "first four (I believe that's the max. number of animals allowed in the cabin on a flight) pre-booked and registered animals presented to check in and accepted will be able to travel".
AC and other airlines like AA do this because they verify if the pet is fit to fly and all rules and regulations are followed. This cannot be done in advance for obvious reasons.

I have been denied travel with a pet for capacity reasons twice (on TK and AA). In both cases I was rebooked on the next available flight with no charge. On the AA flight, there was a huge dog show ending that day.

Last edited by bhomburg; May 30, 2016 at 4:20 pm Reason: typo...
Old May 30, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
My numerous experiences: when I call to put the pet on the reservation, they check to see how many are booked on the flight already. If the maximum for that plane type has not been reached, then my pet is added. At that point, I consider it confirmed, but AC reserves the right to remove the pet if there is an aircraft change that reduces the maximum number. You should be fine.

And I'm with you, would NEVER put my pet in the cargo hold (of any airline) unless I absolutely had no choice. Fortunately the option to carry on board exists with Air Canada. Until the airline changes the rules, ignore the haters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.