Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Reward with an AC segment in prem economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 8:13 pm
exc
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75k

Read through this thread and it seems like both sides believe they're correct but doesn't seem like there's much consensus:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...es-change.html

I have my first leg in premium economy tomorrow for my YYZ-LHR flight (AC848) which is part of my RTW ticket in J. I'm confirmed in J in 6 other segments (1 short segment NRT-ICN in Y). Wondering if anyone had a similar situation more recently and can offer some insight - as to the verbiage I should be using when I get to the airport tomorrow? I'm thinking to ask for a SDC if it's available, then asked to be put on standby for J if possible.

Something I thought was interesting was that I just checked in online and got my boarding pass - I am Elite 35k this year - but my premium economy ticket is put on zone 1, which should only be J and SEs. I wonder if that would mean anything in terms of where I stand on the standby list and also if that would let me have access to the MLL - I have access to Plaza but prefer MLL. I was also offered a LMU so I'm crossing my fingers for some availability.

Regardless - will update this thread tomorrow once I'm on the plane to share my experience with people in the same situation.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think this is a case for SDC.

More like, request an upgrade. You will be lower on the list than SEs, 75ks, 50ks and other 35ks but above P.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R1 on AC848 tomorrow now, so I would think your chances should be pretty good of getting into J.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You just have to make it very clear to the check-in agent what you want.

"I am booked on a business class Aeroplan ticket with this segment only confirmed in economy. Please put me on the list for business class."

If the agent does not understand, ask them to check with someone else.

With those loads, you are pretty much guaranteed to get it, because anyone who wanted an upgrade would have already cleared.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:50 am

Agree with an earlier poster. This is not an upgrade!! It is merely requesting to travel in one's ticketed class of service. Status does not matter here, and you go on a waitlist, not an upgrade list. Waitlists always clear before upgrade lists. You will sit in J in preference to some SE or SEMM on a Y fare with his eUpgrades at the ready, *unless* said passengers have been already confirmed in J (ie: through the use of confirmed "R" space).
Old May 27, 2016, 8:56 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Pitz is 100% correct
Old May 27, 2016, 9:37 am

Thanks for your input. I am in a similar situation as the OP where all my segments are in J, while one is in Premium Economy. I hope once I get to the airport, they are able to put me on the wait-list just as you've said so I can fully enjoy all segments in J since I've paid and redeemed for J segments.

Anyone know the chances of being upgraded to J in this situation?

Originally Posted by pitz
Agree with an earlier poster. This is not an upgrade!! It is merely requesting to travel in one's ticketed class of service. Status does not matter here, and you go on a waitlist, not an upgrade list. Waitlists always clear before upgrade lists. You will sit in J in preference to some SE or SEMM on a Y fare with his eUpgrades at the ready, *unless* said passengers have been already confirmed in J (ie: through the use of confirmed "R" space).
Old May 27, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically it may not be an upgrade.

However I believe AC made clear that these Aeroplan rewards are not dealt with as regular waitlist, but together with upgrades.

Look at this article by Ben Lipsey:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23156864-post107.html
Old May 27, 2016, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
This is just not true. Please stop repeating this nonsense. You keep on repeating this but it's just NOT correct. I don't think I've ever been this annoyed on FT.

Originally Posted by Stranger

However I believe AC made clear that these Aeroplan rewards are not dealt with as regular waitlist, but together with upgrades.

THIS.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is just not true. Please stop repeating this nonsense. You keep on repeating this but it's just NOT correct. I don't think I've ever been this annoyed on FT.

THIS.
It used to be like he say. Before you were born probably.

But indeed they changed the priority, some five or six years ago, maybe more.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Thank you for finding this post

It used to be like he say. Before you were born probably.

But indeed they changed the priority, some five or six years ago, maybe more.
So a year or two before Ben started working at AC? Sorry, but I'm going to take Ben's word on this.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:26 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Pitz is 100% correct.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Thank you for finding this post

So a year or two before Ben started working at AC? Sorry, but I'm going to take Ben's word on this.
I meant to say that there was a time when Pitz would have been right but then they changed to what Ben said.

Originally Posted by RZR
Pitz is 100% correct.
Ben said otherwise, following up on:

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Does that mean that as a Super Elite seated in the Y cabin, I'd be ahead of a E75K on a Y fare if I'm in X on a business Aeroplan ticket?

Or do you mean it's "below economy".
Old May 27, 2016, 4:29 pm

I don't know what the policy is, but in real life Aeroplan business class tickets confirmed in economy are last in priority, behind everybody else. They are dealt with at the gate, last, when all upgrades, waitlists, etc clear, then if there are still empty business class seats remaining, then you get it. Or even then you may still not get it, for variety of reasons, and business class may go out with empty seats and you in economy.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by echino
I don't know what the policy is, but in real life Aeroplan business class tickets confirmed in economy are last in priority, behind everybody else. They are dealt with at the gate, last, when all upgrades, waitlists, etc clear, then if there are still empty business class seats remaining, then you get it. Or even then you may still not get it, for variety of reasons, and business class may go out with empty seats and you in economy.
That would be the result of the policy as described by Ben for folks with no status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.