Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITA Matrix Software

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Does Hipmunk replicate the prices also? It seems as though some of the pricing on the ITA engine is cheaper than what the sites show? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure some of my recent searches were definitely cheaper showing on the ITA Matrix.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
You have to watch the matrix because if you're pricing flights departing from other than Canada, it will price it in local currency of the origin unless you force a currency. I'm often pricing US-somewhere segments for business quotes, and have gotten unreasonably excited over prices until I checked the fine print.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
You have to watch the matrix because if you're pricing flights departing from other than Canada, it will price it in local currency of the origin unless you force a currency. I'm often pricing US-somewhere segments for business quotes, and have gotten unreasonably excited over prices until I checked the fine print.
If it comes up in Korean won you can tell right away.

(Got a wonderful fare in business, ICN-Kunming-Dalian-ICN.)
Old May 29, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Does Hipmunk replicate the prices also? It seems as though some of the pricing on the ITA engine is cheaper than what the sites show? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure some of my recent searches were definitely cheaper showing on the ITA Matrix.
As of recently, Hipmunk claims that they do not use the ITA Matrix engine (support agent invoked from the Canadian version). I've also noticed that some airports are missing on Hipmunk that are available on the Matrix (YGP and YGR, for example - I've asked them to fix that).
Old May 30, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Here goes the silly questions again.... Based on the responses it sounds like I could just call the airline directly? Am I correct in assuming that. As I also mentioned..... I have used the matrix and called Air Canada but that was for an international flight with I interline partners etc., it worked out fantastic with the quoted price exactly reflecting the matrix.
Now for Domestic flights - the example I mentioned is with Delta - the times / flights showing on the matrix are much cheaper than on their website - again I am assuming it is the fare codes? If I call Delta what exactly do I give them as wouldn't they just be pulling up the expensive fares as I see on the website???
Old May 30, 2016, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here goes the silly questions again.... Based on the responses it sounds like I could just call the airline directly? Am I correct in assuming that. As I also mentioned..... I have used the matrix and called Air Canada but that was for an international flight with I interline partners etc., it worked out fantastic with the quoted price exactly reflecting the matrix.
Now for Domestic flights - the example I mentioned is with Delta - the times / flights showing on the matrix are much cheaper than on their website - again I am assuming it is the fare codes? If I call Delta what exactly do I give them as wouldn't they just be pulling up the expensive fares as I see on the website???
I have never had an issue feeding flight numbers and fare classes to AC reservations to get a price that is within 25 cents of ITA.

That includes a trip with an LX segment.

So I assume it should work for DL too.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:13 pm

Hard to see, the future is.

And I have no experience with DL bookings.

You can try and explain that you want a specific itinerary. Feed them flight numbers and routes and see how much they want. If it is too much for you, don't book it.

If they want to charge a telephone fee, ask if them to waive it because you were unable to book it on their website.

Let us know how it goes.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

That's good to know Canadian Crow - thanks! Have you ever had the situation I mentioned where the itinerary shows up on the website at a different price at which point you feed them the ITA information?
What exactly are you giving them? The fare basis information showing on ITA? That's where I am getting confused regardless of airline.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:47 am
Original Poster

As of April, Delta no longer charges fees for phone bookings..... An airline playing nice for a change after announcing some sweet earnings!
Old May 31, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

My immediate example is a simple YWG to LAS flight. The Delta site reflecting the times I want is $669.00 CDN. The ITA matrix is showing the same routing at $397.00 CDN. What do I have to ask for or what the heck information do I feed the customer service agent as to not quote me what is showing on their website. If I just give them dates, times and flight numbers..... That won't work?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Do you have the Matrix set to display only available fares? If the fare bucket exists but is sold out, DL won't show it (obvs) but ITA could display unless you set that flag. I think it is that way by default, but you might have changed it.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's good to know Canadian Crow - thanks! Have you ever had the situation I mentioned where the itinerary shows up on the website at a different price at which point you feed them the ITA information?
What exactly are you giving them? The fare basis information showing on ITA? That's where I am getting confused regardless of airline.
Dates, flight numbers, and fare classes. Nothing more.

July 4 YYZ-YOW AC 444 in G class
July 4 YOW-YUL AC 8888 in G class

etc.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Do you have the Matrix set to display only available fares? If the fare bucket exists but is sold out, DL won't show it (obvs) but ITA could display unless you set that flag. I think it is that way by default, but you might have changed it.
You are absolutely correct.... I didn't even notice that check off box. I don't think it is default as I have never did anything with it......thanks very much - learn something new everyday on this forum!
Old May 31, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Dates, flight numbers, and fare classes. Nothing more.

July 4 YYZ-YOW AC 444 in G class
July 4 YOW-YUL AC 8888 in G class

etc.
Thanks C Crow..... I understand and think I have this under control now!! Truly appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So I gave the Matrix a shot and called Air Canada. The Matrix was showing a fare class that the website wasn't. The itinerary was there though?.....The agent quoted me a higher price albeit it was a different fare code. I asked him for this fare code and he said it is showing up as "0" beside it which means he cannot book it? Does that make sense or am I still doing something wrong. I made sure the available fares was checked off. He said if it is not showing up on the website it won't be available......It was a simple economy fare with a booking class "A" - he said it wasn't there? It was approximately $160.00 cheaper than the fare class on the website - same itinerary originating in LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.