Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Schedule change options after aircraft downgraded to 330 with no PY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks,

So, we had booked PY on MUC-YYZ (coming from Berlin) and now they've downgraded the aircraft to a 330 so no PY. The email I received noted it as an "itinerary change."

I'd like to cancel the whole thing and rebook the whole thing as I would have to be rerouted through FRA or somewhere else to get a PY seat and I had plans for a short meet up with a relative at the MUC airport as we will be both there at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice on this issue? I'm pretty sure I can get the reroute as I won't accept a downgrade to Y, but an outright cancel and refund might be a harder sell. I could easily, of course, have taken other flights but I wanted MUC for the connection for a reason.

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2016, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by arf04
Hi folks,

So, we had booked PY on MUC-YYZ (coming from Berlin) and now they've downgraded the aircraft to a 330 so no PY. The email I received noted it as an "itinerary change."

I'd like to cancel the whole thing and rebook the whole thing as I would have to be rerouted through FRA or somewhere else to get a PY seat and I had plans for a short meet up with a relative at the MUC airport as we will be both there at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice on this issue? I'm pretty sure I can get the reroute as I won't accept a downgrade to Y, but an outright cancel and refund might be a harder sell. I could easily, of course, have taken other flights but I wanted MUC for the connection for a reason.

Thanks!
You should have no problems. Just phone in and make changes. Maybe via YYC/FRA.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Yes you can cancel no problem. This is a major sched change.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Yes you can cancel no problem. This is a major sched change.
Thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You should have no problems. Just phone in and make changes. Maybe via YYC/FRA.
Thanks. I thought we were safe from being downgraded due to all the refurbishments happening...
Old May 1, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks. I thought we were safe from being downgraded due to all the refurbishments happening...
Just out of curiousity, what was your PY fare class changed to when it became a 333?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just out of curiousity, what was your PY fare class changed to when it became a 333?
They moved us into V.

Aircraft changes will happen, so that's not the issue for me, but what I find annoying is that AC won't acknowledge in their "itinerary change" email that they've downgraded you. It's only because I expect the worst of AC that I scrutinize the emails to see what the heck they've changed. I recently had a an aircraft swap from an E90 to an E70 and lost the preferred seats I'd paid for (for two of us) but was not refunded the full amount. I called in and was told that I had paid less than my receipt showed, etc., etc. I eventually got the money back but it was a hassle and it makes no sense to me that you'd lose the seats you had especially when they're still empty after the change (they changed aircraft back up to an E90 a couple of weeks later). These are small issues, but man I don't have time to chase after them!
Old May 2, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: A3*G
you can try to ask to be rebooked in J
Old May 2, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel agent
you can try to ask to be rebooked in J
As far as I've seen, they'll never move you up. They get rather hung up on the fact that they've sold you a ticket with 'economy' in the name.

If I'd waited, I would have booked the recently ended J sale which has some very decent fares. Oh well!
Old May 2, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
As far as I've seen, they'll never move you up. They get rather hung up on the fact that they've sold you a ticket with 'economy' in the name.

If I'd waited, I would have booked the recently ended J sale which has some very decent fares. Oh well!
They will. I was in PE on YYZ-LHR last year on the 787 which got subbed for a 767. I got upgraded to J without asking/insisting. Of course YMMV depending upon status (I was E75 at the time), fare class, loads etc.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
They will. I was in PE on YYZ-LHR last year on the 787 which got subbed for a 767. I got upgraded to J without asking/insisting. Of course YMMV depending upon status (I was E75 at the time), fare class, loads etc.
Interesting. I'm P25 so I wouldn't expect much by way of priority for even an op up.

I was thinking more about a downgrade that happens a couple of months out, but it is interesting to have data on last minute changes.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
YMMV indeed - I just went through this for a July YYZ-MUC trip, pushed hard (but politely), spoke to several people and they would not give me J. I'm SE, and I don't think J was very full. They did offer several alternatives that involved PE (with, obviously, connections). And they did offer to rebate me the difference between my PE fare and the current flex fare.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by PB53x11
YMMV indeed - I just went through this for a July YYZ-MUC trip, pushed hard (but politely), spoke to several people and they would not give me J. I'm SE, and I don't think J was very full. They did offer several alternatives that involved PE (with, obviously, connections). And they did offer to rebate me the difference between my PE fare and the current flex fare.
Did they offer a combination? I'd personally want a re-route and some kind on compensation for the delay. I mean if I have to connect YOW or YUL and get in 4 hours later I'd think you'd be eligible for one of those 15% off vouchers. Especially if that last jump doesn't have a PY offering.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: TK *G
When they still had PY on North America Routes, I booked E fare on YYZ-YVR. Then they cancelled offering PY service on NA routes. I got re-booked onto B fare so I used my e-up credits to get an instant upgrade to J. They also offered me a $200 gift card to compensate for this "downgrade". In fact when I was booking my ticket E was a couple dollars cheaper than Flex.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
Did they offer a combination? I'd personally want a re-route and some kind on compensation for the delay. I mean if I have to connect YOW or YUL and get in 4 hours later I'd think you'd be eligible for one of those 15% off vouchers. Especially if that last jump doesn't have a PY offering.
No, and I didn't think to ask for a discount coupon. I'll try to remember that for next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.