Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ - SFO Snark

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
We may not have the same passions, skills or opportunities, but that does not mean that a person need not be polite or courteous. I disagree with your sentiment and offer that you are instead providing a cop out, an excuse for the inexcusable.
I consider Sparseflyer a friend but man I actually agree with you on this one.

What happened?
Old May 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
We may not have the same passions, skills or opportunities, but that does not mean that a person need not be polite or courteous. I disagree with your sentiment and offer that you are instead providing a cop out, an excuse for the inexcusable.

I cannot just change my job over night. I am subject to a strict non compete contract and all the joys such a contract brings. I offer that there are many people on FT who count on their job incomes because they are supporting families, whether it be a parent in need of elder care, or a kid in university, or paying for a decrepit slum in Vancouver or Toronto that is available for the super low cost of $700,000 (sic).

Some FAs are indeed miserable people. They were awful people before they started working as an FA and it bubbles up with their inability to maintain a stable personal life or family relationships. Unfortunately, the anger/resentment/frustration is misdirected towards innocent people. The worst aspect of these folks is that their co-workers usually have the same opinion of them as the customer who has suffered their wrath. The co-workers are often on the receiving end of their abuse as well as customers. Because we do not see the ham handed treatment does not mean it is not there. Unfortunately, outside of workplace violence, there is little that a co-worker can do to change the obnoxious behaviour and that's why it is important for the customer to speak up. The customer isn't just acting on his/her behalf, but for the other crew members, especially the younger ones who are most likely to suffer the abuse.

There's a side thread about the FA who burns/overcooks food. Some people were overly understanding or in denial about the cause of the behaviour. It is intentional and not inadvertent. AC invests time and money in the training of its crews and there are refresher courses along with memos and reminders. The AC crews take it seriously. One would have to be a mental deficient to not be able to operate the ovens properly. On the referenced TATL there are other crew who would be involved in the preparation of meals and they most likely would have said something. They are either intentionally ignored or they are too intimidated to say something. There is no excuse for consistently burnt food, just as there is no excuse for consistently rude FAs.

Fortunately, the FAs on AC are overwhelmingly benign. My experience is that outside of the older FAs who are still working because they love their jobs (and the pax love them), AC FAs on a full flight are too over worked to interact with pax.

I've worked about 10 years in customer service related positions, in very different fields going from small restaurant to multinational financial institution.

I spent 3 of those years managing service employees.

There is something about working in the service industry that no one can "get" until they've done the grunt work (and even then, some still don't get it, or spend a couple month in it and think it is the same as making a career out of it).

I am not trying to give AC employees (or service employees in general) an easy "out". Matter of fact, if you knew me IRL, you would've had the chance to hear me complain about service levels and practices from service employees from various industries.

But anyway, I don't think it's worth it to go into this whole conversation without knowing each other, and actually sitting down and taking the time to discuss it so I guess I will yield here.

But do trust me that I do not try to give the whole thing an easy "out".

Only advice I can give to most frequent flyers on this board is "service quality will be directly influenced by your skills in social interaction, and bringing out the best out of these employees", and "when employees get seriously out of line, do not hesitate to report it and management are more than likely to deal with it appropriately".
Old May 1, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Most of us on this forum are blessed with the chance to get up and change line of work the same day. For many though, leaving a job could mean months of unemployment, with the very probable risk of a worse job/pay.
Interesting comment... why would you think that the majority of people (on or off this forum) could quit their job and find a new one the same day ? A little naďve, I think.

In fact, I would say that the further along you are in your career path as well as the higher income you make, the more likely you are unable to get up and switch jobs.

Last edited by xray; May 1, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by xray
Interesting comment... why would you think that the majority of people (on or off this forum) could quit their job and find a new one the same day ? A little naďve, I think.

In fact, I would say that the further along you are in your career path as well as the higher income you make, the more likely you are unable to get up and switch jobs.
Knowing, Sparse, I can tell you that Sparse meant this figuratively, not literally. I know he knows that we can't just, on a flip of some switch, find another job in one day.

He actually meant 2.5 days. Oh silly Sparsey.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
And IMO if they can't handle it or they're bad at it, they need to find another line of work!
Not a lot of opportunities for people whose dream job might be something along the lines of "enjoy pulling wings off butterflies", I guess.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
With respect to how easy it is to find a new job, I don't think anyone is asking for an FA or frankly any AC employee to be fired for a single off colour remark. I'm sure we all understand that customer service isn't the easiest gig particularly when you are managing other tasks at the same time not just greeting people with a smile or whatever.

None of that changes the fact that being deliberately rude to a customer isn't acceptable. It's something that, if brought up by the customer to management, should be discussed with the employee so they can improve and be aware that what might not seem like a big deal to them was actually a big deal to the customer. And maybe if, after many repeated incidents they are still receiving complaints, it's not unreasonable to say that they might be best employed in a non customer facing role.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
With respect to how easy it is to find a new job, I don't think anyone is asking for an FA or frankly any AC employee to be fired for a single off colour remark. I'm sure we all understand that customer service isn't the easiest gig particularly when you are managing other tasks at the same time not just greeting people with a smile or whatever.

None of that changes the fact that being deliberately rude to a customer isn't acceptable. It's something that, if brought up by the customer to management, should be discussed with the employee so they can improve and be aware that what might not seem like a big deal to them was actually a big deal to the customer. And maybe if, after many repeated incidents they are still receiving complaints, it's not unreasonable to say that they might be best employed in a non customer facing role.
^
Old May 2, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by filthycasual
To boarding passengers:
"If you don't put your smaller bags in the seat in front of you, I will hunt you down."
And what was the passenger assigned to the seat in front supposed to do when they find another passenger's bags occupying their seat?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Knowing, Sparse, I can tell you that Sparse meant this figuratively, not literally. I know he knows that we can't just, on a flip of some switch, find another job in one day.

He actually meant 2.5 days. Oh silly Sparsey.
Finally someone on this board that understands me!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Why can't they be normal, respectful, polite, unintrusive and welcoming?
they would be working for another airline.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And what was the passenger assigned to the seat in front supposed to do when they find another passenger's bags occupying their seat?
I sometimes just hold my bag until assisted. Good SD/FAs will find magic closet space in the front or somewhere near where disembarking will occur.

Dumb ones will go all the way to the back and shove it above row 33 or whatever, which clearly just increases the amount of effort for everyone involved. Had this experience at most twice in 10+ years. (let's assume I usually don't fly that far back, status or not)

Snarky ones (only experienced once on AC accompanied with write-in and undisclosed cash compensation) would say she is not allowed to lift bags because of weight. There are other details which aren't pertinent here.

This is especially concerning to the last minute purchase/flight, or late connection... where your bp says Zone 1, but your feet deliver Zone 6. Smart SDs/FAs know this happens, and that chances are these are their best customers.

Also, I'll note that YYZ-SFO and SFO-YYZ are my most hated markets ever. I'll always force myself through YVR, LAS (yes, YYZ-LAS) to avoid the YYZ-SFO direct. I have my reasons.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
"I will hunt you down", maybe a joke?
She must have worked for Westjet. That's typical of their so called humour.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Also, I'll note that YYZ-SFO and SFO-YYZ are my most hated markets ever. I'll always force myself through YVR, LAS (yes, YYZ-LAS) to avoid the YYZ-SFO direct. I have my reasons.
I fly yyz-sfo almost every month, if not more. What are your reasons?

I've looked at yyz-yvr-sfo regularly, but getting upgrades yyz-yvr seems more difficult. I've had good luck yyz-sfo, especially on the daily 767.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
google it, but AC has won an award for RUDEST flight attendants.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm gonna go ahead and assume "lots of free time" is somewhere atop your reasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.