Penguins in Canada?

Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:24 pm
cnk
Original Poster

Penguins in Canada?

Here's a stupid question.

I've seen ads for Air Canada showing a penguin and the text "Pretty cool up here, eh?" It's also on their web page.(http://www.aircanada.com/specials/newyear_us/images/en/page_header_us.jpg)

I thought penguins were strictly a southern hemisphere thing. Are there penguins which live in Canada? And if so, where?

cnk
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:38 pm

there are penguins in Canada but they all
live in zoos. There may be penguins farther
noth in the Yukon or NWT but I can't say for
sure.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:42 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cnk:
I thought penguins were strictly a southern hemisphere thing.</font>
Check out Pittsburg sometime
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PreferBulkhead:
Check out Pittsburg sometime </font>
The keyword is *cool* penguins.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:04 pm

They should show polar bears...which are found on our toonies.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
The things you learn in this Forum when you're working on your kids' computer loaded with educational software!

Penguin, common name for flightless, aquatic birds of the southern hemisphere. The name penguin originally was applied to the now extinct great auk of the North Atlantic, a large flightless, black and white bird with an upright stance. Similar flightless birds were discovered subsequently in the southern hemisphere, and they were also called penguins, a name that is now restricted exclusively to these birds.
Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2002. © 1993-2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:11 pm
cnk
Original Poster

Did a quick Google search and found this on the New England Aquarium Site:

"Penguins do not live in the Northern Hemisphere because they can't get there.
The warm water belt at the equator doesn't provide enough food for them to make
the trip northward."

http://www.neaq.org/community/seabit...ers/00dec.html

Odd then, that somebody took a picture of a penguin in Argentina or somewhere and then sold it to Air Canada's ad agency without anybody saying anything like "Hey, nice picture but, uh, we don't have those in this country."

cnk
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh oh!!! False advertising... Hm... Where have we seen this before from AC?

From a different angle -- this isn't the first time AC has had pretty poor taste of marketing... Didn't they screw up a different ad campaign in the United Kingdom (or somewhere else?) using Native people in some way?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:41 pm
B1

I saw that ad in USA Today last week - made sense to me: the penguin is a tourist from the very deep south who is impressed with our weather, since it is summer where he/she lives. The ad is aimed at other penguins and those with similar inclinations. Should fill a lot of empty seats.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B1:
The ad is aimed at other penguins and those with similar inclinations.</font>
But, the marketing msg is a bit unclear as there is that lady in red on the right... I could see the confusion... If you have to think twice about the msg, then it's not a really effective ad. Perhaps if they showed a few penguins saying to each other "Pretty cool, eh?" and had an igloo and a polar bear in the background or something... Or if they at least dressed the penguin up a wee bit...

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:47 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

So you see Santa in the seat sale ad and you expect to see him seat beside you?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:51 pm
cnk
Original Poster

Aha!

And it fits in nicely with that quote from the New England Aquarium. Penguins can't get to Canada because there's no food for them in the warm water of the tropics. But by flying on Air Canada or their Star Alliance partners, the penguin can ride in comfort and dine on their new aquatic sealife special meals.

I was starting to think that the caption was supposed to be "Cool up here, eh? In fact it's so cool that you'd probably want to go visit the Southern hemisphere where it's summer. While you're down there, you might as well check out the penguins, since we don't have them up here in the Northern Hemisphere."

Perhaps that didn't fit into the banner ad very well.

cnk
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:14 pm

Marginally OT Aside:

Next time you go to a zoo with penguins, take a flashlight or laser pointer. You'll laugh yourself stupid for hours.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:39 pm

It's also worth pointing out (or perhaps not but what the heck) some penguins don't live in the cold, the ones at the Toronto zoo are called "Madagascar penguins" so I presume they are from Madagascar. They also have penguins in the courtyard at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
So you see Santa in the seat sale ad and you expect to see him seat beside you? </font>
No, not at all. Where the heck would you get a seat like that for a seat sale price? And besides, I don't think "Santa" fits in seat 38E.

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.