Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Unticketed Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL

Booked a J award ticket YYZ-SIN-YYZ with the following dates and routing (CAD$532 in taxes):

Apr 7
YYZ-PEK AC31
PEK-SIN SQ801

Apr 19
SIN-PEK CA976
PEK-YYZ AC32

After 2 weeks I noticed I don't have a ticket number yet, when in my experience it's usually either immediate or in 24 hours. I called Aeroplan and of course they're not taking calls because they "currently have a higher volumes of calls" and disconnected the line. I called again at 6am EST and got through after a modest 15 minutes wait.

They told me the Air China portion SIN-PEK has dropped their availability due to a technical issue that they're resolving with no ETA and therefore the seat is no longer bookable. She offered me an alternate flight leaving 6 hours earlier on Apr 18 so I can make the PEK-YYZ flight (CAD$750 taxes). I said yes but I don't want to absorb the extra tax as a result, as well as the change fee. She spoke to her manager and I don't have to pay anything extra.

She made a note as well on the file saying that I will call back before my flight to see if I can get back my original reservation (if the Air China issue is fixed) and allow the change with no change fee.

I also asked about the unticketed status and she said to be honest there's a good change that I would've gone to the airport on Apr 7 (had I not called in) and I do not have a flight.

Hope my experience is helpful.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JCFans
Booked a J award ticket YYZ-SIN-YYZ with the following dates and routing (CAD$532 in taxes):

Apr 7
YYZ-PEK AC31
PEK-SIN SQ801

Apr 19
SIN-PEK CA976
PEK-YYZ AC32

After 2 weeks I noticed I don't have a ticket number yet, when in my experience it's usually either immediate or in 24 hours. I called Aeroplan and of course they're not taking calls because they "currently have a higher volumes of calls" and disconnected the line. I called again at 6am EST and got through after a modest 15 minutes wait.

They told me the Air China portion SIN-PEK has dropped their availability due to a technical issue that they're resolving with no ETA and therefore the seat is no longer bookable. She offered me an alternate flight leaving 6 hours earlier on Apr 18 so I can make the PEK-YYZ flight (CAD$750 taxes). I said yes but I don't want to absorb the extra tax as a result, as well as the change fee. She spoke to her manager and I don't have to pay anything extra.

She made a note as well on the file saying that I will call back before my flight to see if I can get back my original reservation (if the Air China issue is fixed) and allow the change with no change fee.

I also asked about the unticketed status and she said to be honest there's a good change that I would've gone to the airport on Apr 7 (had I not called in) and I do not have a flight.

I had the same problem with a YVR-FRA-NAP ticket. LH cancelled the FRA-NAP section, and rerouted via MUC, but hadn't re-issued. LH wouldn't check me in at the airport and I had to go to AC to get it fixed. Just the start of a nightmare on LH...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: *void

Originally Posted by JCFans

Apr 7
YYZ-PEK AC31
PEK-SIN SQ801

Apr 19
SIN-PEK CA976
PEK-YYZ AC32

Discussions similar to this come up frequently, like in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ma-follow.html

Often quoted ViewFromTheWing blog post about this:
How To Make Sure You Really Have a Ticket When You Redeem Your Miles

Reminder for us all to not only check that you have valid tickets issued after booking, even if you DID get a confirmation email, but also check back often to re-validate every month or so while you are waiting to travel, on that itinerary you've worked so hard to carve out, nearly a year in advance.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
There was another thread on this about two months ago. This also happened to me twice in a row with an AP reward ticket booked on a total of three airlines.

You always need to keep an eye on bookings for these silly things and and equipment changes!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:55 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Very common with CA, and is why AE claims to have removed the ability to book on them a couple of times. There's a thread out there about CA talking about being unticketed.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: SE 100K
On the topic of ticketing speeds... Just booked an AE Business Reward MAN - FRA - YUL - YVR yesterday. Still haven't received a confirmation email so I assume it still hasn't been ticketed?

Anyone else experience the same delay with AE Business Reward tix?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
On the topic of ticketing speeds... Just booked an AE Business Reward MAN - FRA - YUL - YVR yesterday. Still haven't received a confirmation email so I assume it still hasn't been ticketed?

Anyone else experience the same delay with AE Business Reward tix?
I doubt that there this being a business reward would make a difference. That there is a leg on another airline probably does. Might need confirmation actually.

I have had ugly scenarios whereby after a week the reservation would be canceled, and the next agent did not even see that the itinerary was not the requested one.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
I doubt that there this being a business reward would make a difference. That there is a leg on another airline probably does. Might need confirmation actually.

I have had ugly scenarios whereby after a week the reservation would be canceled, and the next agent did not even see that the itinerary was not the requested one.
Yikes... yeah that would be extremely inconvenient if that happened.

Should I call in and confirm or is it out of AE's control and I just have to wait it out and see if LH approves the first leg?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes... yeah that would be extremely inconvenient if that happened.

Should I call in and confirm or is it out of AE's control and I just have to wait it out and see if LH approves the first leg?
Keep checking and don't let a week pass. If it gets somewhat close, ask for the ticket to be put in priority for ticketing.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Keep checking and don't let a week pass. If it gets somewhat close, ask for the ticket to be put in priority for ticketing.
Check the status just on the AE site?

Booking is for 13 days from now so hoping it gets sorted out fast... I'll call Monday if I haven't got a confirmation by then.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I tend to book my Aeroplan award travel less than 2 weeks out and, as has been the case with the 24left's versions of RTWs, at less than 6 days out.

Given the experiences of some others FTers who posted on this forum either like above - not being ticketed, or not having a valid ticket or other issues, I am rather insistent about getting the ticket and the partner airlines' PNRs. All of my international reward trips include at least 2 other *A carriers and I am not keen on panic while in transit. And yes, stuff happens.

Once Aeroplan gives me the partner PNRs, I go to their site and add in the missing info in Manage my Bookings. I have noticed that not all of the partners have a seamless process and sometimes, I do not have access on the site but have to call in.

I just booked another one of these adventures and there was a problem the other day with their payment system and therefore issuing the ticket. It took hours for them to solve it and I was happy to be patient.

I am not sure I could manage waiting a week or more and not be ticketed or worse, find out that the booking was cancelled before ticketing.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:26 am

Called just now (booked online yesterday).

They said it's in the queue to be ticketed and to call back on Tuesday if I still haven't got a Ticket by then. Gave me the LH PNR though..... which then didn't work when I went onto their website haha. I'll give it a few days.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

They said it's in the queue to be ticketed and to call back on Tuesday if I still haven't got a Ticket by then. Gave me the LH PNR though..... which then didn't work when I went onto their website haha. I'll give it a few days.
Did it work on check my trip?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

That is very odd with LH. OF all the carriers, they were the only ones where the PNR worked perfectly the first time and every time since. BR was also decent. SQ was a no go. Twice. (I enjoy tech mysteries. LOL). At least the SQ call centre people in Cebu are very nice.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Did it work on check my trip?
Said it didn't have permission from the carrier.

This delay in ticketing hasn't ever happened to me before and I already called so best I can do is wait and hope and call again in a couple days if it doesn't!

One would think /hope after AE accepts / confirms a booking they would be responsible for getting you from Point A to Point B on said date of booking in the class booked...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.