Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Staff in the YEG Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I just saw a very rude exchange at the YEG lounge. A person went up to get some food (I think he just entered the lounge) and one of the staff members said "excuse me sir we aren't done putting all the food out yet. We're trying but we're not done yet". She said this loudly (the lounge was packed as usual). This was around 11:10 am. The food in the main counter was all laid out. Totally uncalled for. The person just walked right out of the lounge. They really need to train their staff better.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
if he or she walked out of lounge, you can bet he/she will be writing to ac
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Just another reason most of us use the other lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
For YEG this sounds about right.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

I have had this experience in YEG as well. Happens as they switch from breakfast to lunch. I'm really not sure why they need to be rude about it or what the issue is if people start eating before it is all laid out.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
For YEG this sounds about right.
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing

Originally Posted by canadinacow
Sent: 14/12/2014 05:11 PM
Subject: Rude lounge attendant

Before boarding my YEG-YYZ red-eye, we were sitting in the lounge. An announcement was made around 50 minutes before departure, along the lines of "If you are waiting for an upgrade, you need to go to the gate now." Everyone else in the lounge left at this point, leaving just the two of us.

A few minutes later, someone came by, and seemed very upset. She told us the lounge was closed, and we weren’t allowed to be here. I mentioned that I had thought it closed 30 minutes to the last domestic departure, as mentioned on the website, but she said that no, it was closed now. I went to the bathroom, and apparently, she came back while I was in there and gave my friend some more attitude about how the lounge was closed (it was still about 40 minutes to departure).

I would request that you encourage staff to be a little more polite to customers, and if you want people out of the lounge, just ask nicely. We were happy to comply, but could have done without the attitude. Also, if the rule isn’t strictly "30 minutes before the last departure", it might be worth updating http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...operation.html.
Originally Posted by AC Customer Relations
Good morning Mr. cow,

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing Air Canada and for the opportunity to apologize for the attitude displayed bu one of our staff in the Maple Leaf Lounge in Edmonton.

Your comments regarding the behaviour and attitude of this employee is a concern and I assure you that this type of service is equally unacceptable to us. Although we have not addressed your concerns in detail, we will bring your comments to the attention of our Customer Service Managers in Edmonton for internal review with the agent in question. (my understanding is from our system bulletins is that the domestic lounges close 30 minutes prior to the last scheduled Air Canada flight).

In any event. we thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. In closing, Mr. cow, we ask that you view this recent experience as an exception to the quality service we normally provide. We hope you afford us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Best Regards,

Customer Relations
Executive Centre
That's just how they roll in YEG.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
More of Calin's "28000 brand ambassadors" in action?
(See this months EnRoute for details)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing

That's just how they roll in YEG.
This early closing was an issue in yyz for the last half year. It wasn't until calling the blue scarf/ ties to the lounge to witness the early closing did the eggs get cracking and the real closing times were being respected. This along with some dragons being removed from the MLL who were constantly checking out early and kicking out pax.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
This early closing was an issue in yyz for the last half year. It wasn't until calling the blue scarf/ ties to the lounge to witness the early closing did the eggs get cracking and the real closing times were being respected. This along with some dragons being removed from the MLL who were constantly checking out early and kicking out pax.
It's not something I experience much because I'm rarely on the last flight out of anywhere.

I'd just call the concierge. Or refuse to leave.

"I'll leave when the lounge closes."

I wouldn't fight over a minute or two (clocks can be off), but with the number of times I only intend to spend ~5 minutes in a lounge, getting kicked out 15 minutes early really pisses me off.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
As a YEG based flyer, I don't find this "attitude" too unusual. It's the service attitude in a lot of F&B businesses throughout the city. "Ok, we're done, so can you..." or, upon entry, "[no salutation] Our kitchen is closed. [stares blankly]"

It's a result of the Great Labour Shortage of 2005-7 and the Next Great Labour Shortage of 2011-14. Employers were/are scared of firing the under-performing 16 year old because there will be no one to replace them.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by YEGcg
It's a result of the Great Labour Shortage of 2005-7 and the Next Great Labour Shortage of 2011-14. Employers were/are scared of firing the under-performing 16 year old because there will be no one to replace them.
Has the employee attitude improved tremendously now? as the above shortages are thing of the past?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: *A 50K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Same thing on Thursday

Same sort of exchanged happened to me this past Thursday Feb 11. It was 1030am and I asked the staff what type of soup they were serving and the one staff in a rude manner told me that i'd have to wait for them to set up the lunch and then see what soup they bring out. So I went to the other and asked if she could tell me and she said "you heard my co-worker, you'll find out once we set it up." I looked at her and I said "it's just a question and obviously you don't have the time or patience to speak with me."

YEG Maple Leaf Lounge is probably the worst MLL in the country. I've been to them all even, the unattended YQR one. YEG is dirty from all the oilsand workers transiting through, there's not enough space in there and the staff are some of the worst.

One other time I flew in and went to lounge to use the facilities and grab a quick drink before grabbing my rental car. The lady at the desk said I can't come in since I arrived and I said, that's not true, As an AE50 I can and she refused again. I showed her the policy and then she reluctantly let me in. That place is a joke.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:27 pm

How are roles assigned among airport agents? I presume that those doing check-in, working at the gate, or working at the MLL are all the same category of employee?

Do they bid on shifts/work positions, or can managers assign different roles to employees? For example, could a manager assign an employee to the MLL because that employee has a track record in delivering great service?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
How are roles assigned among airport agents? I presume that those doing check-in, working at the gate, or working at the MLL are all the same category of employee?

Do they bid on shifts/work positions, or can managers assign different roles to employees? For example, could a manager assign an employee to the MLL because that employee has a track record in delivering great service?
A manager tell a union employee what to do?

Are you insane?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's not something I experience much because I'm rarely on the last flight out of anywhere.

I'd just call the concierge. Or refuse to leave.

"I'll leave when the lounge closes."

I wouldn't fight over a minute or two (clocks can be off), but with the number of times I only intend to spend ~5 minutes in a lounge, getting kicked out 15 minutes early really pisses me off.
Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean others don't as well. You seem to often have a "me first" point of view that if you don't experience it then it doesn't really happen and/or not worth taking action on.

Your methods of calling the conceirge or arguing over the closing time with the dragons who are the official clock watchers is not a recommended or efficient tactic for altitude members to pursue. especially when calling a manager to the lounge is more appropriate and lead to future compliance by the dragons and/or removal of problematic employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.