Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Getting change fee waived? (Pregnant!)

Question: Getting change fee waived? (Pregnant!)

Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Getting change fee waived? (Pregnant!)

hello experts!

I hoped someone might help me.

I'm living in the UK and months ago booked a flight back to Canada for July 2016. However in the meantime I've become pregnant and my due date is within 2 weeks of my flight date. I wanted to change the flight to go later in the year but the cost of changing the flight is more than the fare was (I got a good deal, haha).

Do you know if air Canada are likely to waive the change fee, considering the circumstances, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks!

MH
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:01 pm

"Any woman with a normal pregnancy and no previous history of premature labour may travel up to and including her 36th week on Air Canada, Jazz and Air Canada coded flights operated by Tier 3 carriers."

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...cialneeds.html

Since you will be more than 36 weeks on your flight date, according to AC's policy you would not be able to fly. Seems like a pretty good reason to call in and request the change. If they say no, quote the policy on the website.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You may need a doctor's note for that, but I assume AC doesn't even want you flying within 2 weeks of your due date.

I'd try calling and asking for the medical desk.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Ahh thanks for that, appreciate the advice.

Only issue is I'm due before the flight... So I'm more likely to have a 2 week old baby at the time of the flight than still be pregnant! Perhaps they'd still be sympathetic to the cause...?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:26 pm

I would word it as "my due date is within 2 weeks of my flight" Nothing says that you will deliver at 40 weeks, you could go over.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:44 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by melissamherman
Ahh thanks for that, appreciate the advice.

Only issue is I'm due before the flight... So I'm more likely to have a 2 week old baby at the time of the flight than still be pregnant! Perhaps they'd still be sympathetic to the cause...?
Fristly - congrats!

mromalley has the best wording - even if you do give birth first, if it turns into a c-section then you wouldn't be able to travel medically, and since you may not know what type of delivery you'll have until during it.

The other aspect is (at least in Canada) your newborn needs a passport photo, and typically is supposed to be able to support their own head propped up. You can get around this by holding up their head from behind, but if your hand, arm, or fingers show they'll reject the photo.

So regardless of the timing, 2-3 weeks may not even be enough time for recovery or a passport for your newborn.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Give it a try as stated up-thread. I wouldn't be surprised if the response you get is that it's your responsibility to be within the rules (eg can't fly while more than X weeks pregnant) so the change is your responsibility to make. If you don't change and try to fly, you'd likely be denied boarding so it sounds like you need to make the change even if they don't waive it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: SE, tdaero, amexaero
Seems like a no brainer to me. Children are great, a life event you dont always plan. I would think any large organization would be sensitive to that. Congratulations and take care. Do tell us the answer you get from ac.

Last edited by Jessee Paa; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:55 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
If you were to go into labour onboard ac, you may get free ac flights for life
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:37 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kwflyer
If you were to go into labour onboard ac, you may get free ac flights for life
There was an article a few days ago about a women who was born just minutes before landing at Isle of Man, who confirmed that those in the air don't get free flights for life

Edit: Link here - http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/29/av...nes/index.html

In fact, it looks like you'll have even more difficulty flying, as your passport will specifically note that you weren't born "in" a country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.