Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada airfare to Asia question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada airfare to Asia question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Question Air Canada airfare to Asia question

Looking to purchase lowest business class airfare from YYZ to HKG and return from Singapore likely via HKG or ICN.It appears that returning via ICN is considerably cheaper ($2000.00) than the roundtrip from HKG.Does anyone know if it is usually the case particularly on the direct flights to and from YYZ? Spouse is travelling on an Aeroplan reward and has already booked the first leg (YYZ to HKG direct) but not the return. Looking for the most economical way to match our flights. Any ideas appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I just went through this. The AC HKG fares are ridiculous, pricing out almost $2000 more than CX and AF/KLM. On my next trip to BKK I am routing through Pek because it's $1500 less expensive than using ICN which is less expensive than NRT. It all depends on the day of the week. Last week, during the sale, ICN was cheaper. The AC website pricing for SIN was ridiculous. I am planning on using either CX or KLM/AF for my trip to SIN.

I have a suggestion: Try using some one ways to get back to HKG. I often flew HKT-HKG in J for something affordable. Have a look at CX. Direct or consider connecting through BKK to get to HKG. Cathay has the best frequency. You could also consider some of the connectors like Kenya or Emirates or Sri Lankan.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by valleyrun38
Looking to purchase lowest business class airfare from YYZ to HKG and return from Singapore likely via HKG or ICN.It appears that returning via ICN is considerably cheaper ($2000.00) than the roundtrip from HKG.Does anyone know if it is usually the case particularly on the direct flights to and from YYZ? Spouse is travelling on an Aeroplan reward and has already booked the first leg (YYZ to HKG direct) but not the return. Looking for the most economical way to match our flights. Any ideas appreciated.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I just went through this. The AC HKG fares are ridiculous, pricing out almost $2000 more than CX and AF/KLM. On my next trip to BKK I am routing through Pek because it's $1500 less expensive than using ICN which is less expensive than NRT. It all depends on the day of the week. Last week, during the sale, ICN was cheaper. The AC website pricing for SIN was ridiculous. I am planning on using either CX or KLM/AF for my trip to SIN.

I have a suggestion: Try using some one ways to get back to HKG. I often flew HKT-HKG in J for something affordable. Have a look at CX. Direct or consider connecting through BKK to get to HKG. Cathay has the best frequency. You could also consider some of the connectors like Kenya or Emirates or Sri Lankan.

Funny thing......I was just looking at a ticket to SIN.

For the exact same dates:
AC’s route is with them to HKG and then codeshare with SQ to SIN.
AA ticket is codeshare on CX YYZ-HKG-SIN

AC charges $7,400 and you only get the J seat to HKG, but you are in Y on SQ
AA charges $4,760 - all segments in J

Hmmmmm.

So, you have options as Transpacificflyer points out.

As for his other suggestion, I did exactly that. Bought the Asia-Asia short hop with CX/KA instead of paying $2,000+ for the AC ticket that includes that segment.

I am quite sure there are many who have employers paying the bill and perhaps a discount with one carrier. But since AC does not fly to SIN in the first place, you or I have to connect somewhere.

NRT/HND are very expensive most of the time and I only found one single day with one direction that had a reasonable fare.

P.S. Now if flying with spouse is important, well, your options change.
If flying to accumulate AQMs and AQDs, then your options change.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
try UA

I suggest you try United via SFO/NRT/HKG.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
SAP hasn't chimed in yet, but BR is an excellent option through TPE, and is usually at least $2K less than AC. If you weren't trying to match flights, then Emirates through DXB is also a very nice option.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Academic
SAP hasn't chimed in yet, but BR is an excellent option through TPE, and is usually at least $2K less than AC. If you weren't trying to match flights, then Emirates through DXB is also a very nice option.
BR was superb when I flew them via LAX, but OP needs to determine priorities - cost, connections and length of travel (and Altitude mileage earnings if it applies).

If your objective is to save $2,000+, then you need to focus on carriers with connections or find a P fare via another gateway (ICN, PVG, etc).

Also, perhaps a typo, but BR's fares were not $2,000 less, but closer to $200-300 less. Also, as mentioned, fares are much cheaper on certain routes if you stay 7 days. If one were really adventurous, there's a crazy routing for people who enjoy MRs using BA and AY for a little under $3,200.

Either way, I am not sure OP is going to be able to find a necessarily "cheap" routing to match spouse's Aeroplan ticket, but it should be fun trying.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
If your objective is to save $2,000+, then you need to focus on carriers with connections or find a P fare via another gateway (ICN, PVG, etc).

Also, perhaps a typo, but BR's fares were not $2,000 less, but closer to $200-300 less. Also, as mentioned, fares are much cheaper on certain routes if you stay 7 days. If one were really adventurous, there's a crazy routing for people who enjoy MRs using BA and AY for a little under $3,200.

Either way, I am not sure OP is going to be able to find a necessarily "cheap" routing to match spouse's Aeroplan ticket, but it should be fun trying.
Am I correct in assuming that P fares are generally or always cheaper via ICN and PVG? I can look into that.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by valleyrun38
Am I correct in assuming that P fares are generally or always cheaper via ICN and PVG? I can look into that.

No, I have found them from HND and to/from NRT, but they are gone quickly as there are few of them. Also, only revenue management knows exactly how many of each fare bucket is for sale on each route.

I don't look for a P fare to/from ICN if that is not where I'm going. Also, I have to work with my dates as I'm sure many others do, so it matters not if I find a P fare for dates that I'm not flying. If I'm lucky, I will get a P in one direction, seriously lucky if return.

You already know that some Asian destinations have been showing lower fares.

You may not get the fare your seem to want on the routes you want on the days you want. Matching it to your spouse's flights just adds more to the challenge.

If you want to see how fares with both AC and other carriers maps out, use ITA or Google Flights. Or, if you need help with a specific date and destination, post here and I'm sure we can help out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.