Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet international checked bag changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP SPG HH

WestJet has dropped the baggage fee for first bag on economy tickets for flights going outside of Canada and the US. Going by AC's website they are still charging.
Will AC match them?
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...hecked-baggage
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: AC 75K
I'm not sure what you're reading, but WS charges a bag fee to all Destinations on an Econo fare.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:05 am

OP possibly saw the Westjet Vacations table. (WSV outside USA, of course).

Reminds me .... What was the baggage fee Westjet implemented a few months ago? Where AC did not follow suit right away. Did AC ever match? Was it TATL?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Chris if you read the fine print (#7) it says no fee outside Canada and the US.
I found out about this from friends who just flew back from Barbados. They said dropping the fee is probably not to be nice or to compensate for unnecessary fuel surcharges but because the check in counter was not equipped to deal with customers paying for bags. No CC machine no change etc. total fiasco and delayed the plane by 30 minutes.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
OP possibly saw the Westjet Vacations table. (WSV outside USA, of course).

Reminds me .... What was the baggage fee Westjet implemented a few months ago? Where AC did not follow suit right away. Did AC ever match? Was it TATL?
Fee for first bag on intl on economy fares.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:41 am
Original Poster

That is now dropped.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:51 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
That is now dropped.
Wrong.

Look at the tables, Footnote 7 only applies to:

Baggage fees for bookings made prior to November 3, 2015 and for travel up to and including January 5, 2016
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this seems a wholly WS topic it's been relocated to the WS forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
They should drop the fees. Already cost them $3000 in tickets to London that a coworker did not buy.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
They should drop the fees. Already cost them $3000 in tickets to London that a coworker did not buy.
No they shouldn't. Their business is performing great, even without that low margin business from your co-worker.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
No they shouldn't. Their business is performing great, even without that low margin business from your co-worker.
Actually their business is in a sharp dive largely due to the Alberta economy so I am not so sure about the "great" part.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Actually their business is in a sharp dive largely due to the Alberta economy so I am not so sure about the "great" part.
That is quite an inaccurate statement, based on a lot of sensationalism from the press, to get an accurate view on the relatively small problem that Alberta is causing (pushing the record profit margin of 18% to a still reasonable 11.8%), listen to the WestJet Analysts call here: http://services.choruscall.ca/links/...t20160202.html then draw your own conclusions.

The bottom line is that Q1 2016 is going to look like Q4 2015, but the booking curve for Q2 and beyond into Europe, US point-of-sale, reverse cross-border travel and other factors with the exception of Alberta are all looking very good. Once traffic has been balanced away from Alberta over the next few months, Q2 -Q4 are forecast to be growth quarters. Unfortunately the majority of good news doesn't make a good media story, the small amount of bad news is always the headline maker.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Getting back to the subject of this thread.... I am being told that people are flying in and out of Barbados without paying baggage fees even if they bought their tickets after Nov. 3 and travelled after Jan 5.
I originally posted this in the Air Canada forum but they didn't like it there and moved in here. I wanted to know what if the AC supporters thought AC would follow.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Getting back to the subject of this thread.... I am being told that people are flying in and out of Barbados without paying baggage fees even if they bought their tickets after Nov. 3 and travelled after Jan 5.
I originally posted this in the Air Canada forum but they didn't like it there and moved in here. I wanted to know what if the AC supporters thought AC would follow.
WestJet hasn't dropped the bag fee. They've added the bag fee for all non-Canadian/US destinations when booking a flight. The table shows that if you booked after Nov. 3rd and fly after Jan. 5th you get a free bag only when booking a package through WestJet Vacations. Prior to that (as shown in the first table) a free bag was for anyone going outside Canada and the US.

Did your friends book through WestJet Vacations?
Air Canada also offers the free bag when booking a package through AC Vacations.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:15 pm

For Econo tickets the following exceptions waive the fee for 1st checked bag:
- WestJet Vacations for travel outside of Canada/U.S.
- WestJet RBC® World Elite MasterCard primary cardholders
- WestJet Rewards Silver members
- WestJet Rewards Gold members

(Note: The fee will be waived for eligible WestJet Rewards member and up to eight companions travelling on the same reservation (excludes WestJet groups and WestJet Vacations group bookings); the eligible member's WestJet Rewards ID must be on the reservation at the time of check in.)

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...hecked-baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.