Wiki Posts
Search

Re-crediting of Aeroplan Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G; AC

Can anyone tell me how long it takes Aeroplan to re-credit miles when cancelling an award ticket? I will want to rebook right away but will need the points in my account. I will need to call in to book the new ticket but the itinerary will not be identical. Is it best to cancel in advance x number of days and then call in to book a new ticket? I know the cancellation will cost $90 and then the fee of $30 to book by phone. The detail here is that I had to pay extra for miles when booking the first ticket and now I have some miles in my account that could go to the new ticket. Is timing of the essence here? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:06 am

can you not just CHANGE it (at $90+tax)?

I believe miles go back immediately (it was in my case earlier 2015), the tax/fees will be few days

The seats inventory may not go back to the available pool immediately or at all though, if your NEW reward will use original segments
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
can you not just CHANGE it (at $90+tax)?

I believe miles go back immediately (it was in my case earlier 2015), the tax/fees will be few days

The seats inventory may not go back to the available pool immediately or at all though, if your NEW reward will use original segments
No, the original segments will not be used but I would like to be able to include the extra miles that I now have so I don't have to purchase so many. Good to hear that I should be able to do this with one call (ie $90) but I am up against the Dec. 14 deadline booking what is now Asia 1 but will be Asia 2 after Dec. 15. I don't want to call on the 12th and find that I have to wait a couple of weeks. Thanks for your quick reply. (I did send a request to Aeroplan on their FAQ page and they responded that I would hear from them within 5 days! Thanks but no thanks. FT is quicker.)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Not so fast. It depends on when the tickets were issued. I cancelled 6 itineraries a week Saturday. They were booked last Dec and Jan. I got the YQ AC credit for 2 a few days later but no miles. Yesterday I got the other 4 YQ AC refunds yesterday along with the miles. I called AE to ask where the first 2 mileage refunds are as the miles and $ credit for the 4 happened at the same time. I was told this was a coincidence??? I will give it a few days then I can call for a manual refund of the AE miles.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I cancelled a reward ticket last Saturday. It is now Tuesday morning ~~ the fees have been refunded on my credit card but no miles have been reinstated yet.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:16 am
alc

Originally Posted by ciana
I cancelled a reward ticket last Saturday. It is now Tuesday morning ~~ the fees have been refunded on my credit card but no miles have been reinstated yet.
I would call Aeroplan as with all my experience, the miles had always return to my account within minutes, max 1hr, never more than 1 day for sure.

-- added --

Just thought to add that I had cancel about 15 tickets in the last 5-6 years for various family members and myself. 3 tickets this year, with one that was actually within the 21 days (got exception from a mgr), all 3 tickets are for 2 PAX, one-way. All of them having miles return immediately.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

To book my original award ticket I didn't have enough miles so I had to purchase the extra miles. If I cancel that ticket will I be refunded the miles I purchased as miles or as the cash it cost to buy them?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:38 am
alc

Originally Posted by hastuk
To book my original award ticket I didn't have enough miles so I had to purchase the extra miles. If I cancel that ticket will I be refunded the miles I purchased as miles or as the cash it cost to buy them?
They will refund as miles.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the very fast responses. Very helpful.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ciana
Thought I would do a follow-up. On Wed am I contacted AE about miles not being re-credited yet. Apparently they could do the refunding of fees on the credit card used but could not go ahead and charge the $90+tax per ticket on that credit card. I needed to call in to give them the credit card number for that charge. In the meantime, miles were not refunded until that was done. Miles were immediately reinstated when that was completed.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:35 pm

I have a situation where I redeemed for a premium economy seat(1 way) bec.economy not avail.If an econ.seat becomes avail.....can i call to immediately change the booking for the same flight from premium to economy(to be refunded the 25k extra aeroplan points it cost) ? ie.without having to wait for a refund of points first,before re-booking

Hmmm,I can't remember if i asked this question on another thread before.Apologies if I had!

Last edited by jubberly; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.