Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC and CX business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:49 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
CX has a great product... but AC does have one seat on the return 26 May HKG-YYZ-YOW which is why you can't get the fare for two people. AC would probably release the 2nd seat vs losing you to CX.

I would not do Westjet for YOW-YYZ as their last flight is at 1800hrs which makes for a long wait in Pearson.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AC*E
Don't neglect the fact that you will be seated in the new reconfigured 777, which has the new Business class seat (same as 787).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I used both AC and CX in the past year and had a much better experience with CX. Noticeable differences were;
- CX personnel were more professional;
- beverage service was much better (AC's wine is for chain smoking winos who have impaired taste and olfactory senses);
- cleanliness of the aircraft was night and day with AC in need of a disinfection;
- baggage delivery with CX was superior, but is anyone surprised?
- Arrived more relaxed

And yes, I have found that there are days when the CX flights are better priced than the incredibly expensive AC flights. The CX experience is certainly worth the fare, while AC's bloated fares are insulting.

Originally Posted by jix
Not sure which lounge AC uses at HKG, but CX has way better lounge options at HKG for J passenger on their own plus QF, all relatively new.
I use the TG lounge when flying AC. It's sort of depressing with uninspiring food options, but being in the TG lounge brings bck happy memories of when TG was a world class airline. Haven't been in the Red Stain lounge lately as I detest all things United and the type of passenger UA attracts is not what I want to be around before a long flight. CX lounge was ok but I wasn't wowed. (I was probably in the lower end lounge because I know that some people rave about the CX lounge.)

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 28, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:04 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by 119394
Hello,

I flew AC J before from YYZ to HKG before but not CX. How does AC business class compare to CX business? I ask because I just did an online booking and CX is over $1K cheaper than AC (May 17 / 26, 2016, YOW to HKG). Both lowest fare. Thanks in advance.

Ron
Ron,
I fly monthly to Hong Kong on both airlines.
Book CX the service is impeccable and their business class seat pod is superior to the current AC business class.
You won't be disappointed.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:06 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I used both AC and CX in the past year and had a much better experience with CX. Noticeable differences were;
- CX personnel were more professional;
- beverage service was much better (AC's wine is for chain smoking winos who have impaired taste and olfactory senses);
- cleanliness of the aircraft was night and day with AC in need of a disinfection;
- baggage delivery with CX was superior, but is anyone surprised?
- Arrived more relaxed

And yes, I have found that there are days when the CX flights are better priced than the incredibly expensive AC flights. The CX experience is certainly worth the fare, while AC's bloated fares are insulting.
Agreed 100% ^
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
And the lounges in HKG, my oh my, I am at a loss of word, just perfect!!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan Basic!, AAdvantage Platinum, Skymiles Platinum
CX all the way!
done AC once (client booked) and twice on CX (I paid).
as everyone said, the planes are much cleaner, the service usually better (more professional) and the 1am timing is actually great for sleeping and arriving in HK ready for business.
The only area I disagree with everyone is the food, personally I feel that the food on CX is subpar and seems to get worse every year (no better or worse than AC) I checked the CX boards and nice to know I am not the only one.
However couple most positives with the CX lounges in HK and the fact that CX is usually always cheaper than AC makes it a no brainer in my book. AC really doesn't seem to want to compete on the HK route it seems.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
It's the small things but on the two CX flights I've flown, each FA seems to have managed to memorize the name of all the pax, at least in her aisle of the cabin. When going up to use the washroom, FAs still addressed me by name with no paper or notes, etc. Lovely, lovely service. And an excellent seat, particularly if you can get in the mini-cabin up front. Food is no better or worse than AC but the wines and alcohol are. CX, CX, CX.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
The more I see the comments on this thread the more I think... have I been so blind by loyalty to AC and lived with the 777HD and the crappy service?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cairo604
The more I see the comments on this thread the more I think... have I been so blind by loyalty to AC and lived with the 777HD and the crappy service?
There is always time to be redeemed.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: FT
cX cheaper than ac is a NO BRAINER. I'd even pay more to fly them. But people need their aeropesos.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by cairo604
AC survives because of this blind loyalty.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
If I had to choose, I would reluctantly have to choose AC.

I barely make SE status each year, so if the flights to HKG were the last flights putting me over the threshold, I would book AC over CX - even though I would guess that the CX experience is much better than the AC experience. My preference for AC would be even higher next year (even though with great reluctance) because of the AQD situation.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the inputs, lot of useful information and insights. You guys are great!

Funny that the first comment my wife made when I mentioned CX was that "but there is no aeroplan points!"

For some (myself included) it is hard to change their "habit". I guess it is time for me to think outside the box to exercise all options!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If I had to choose, I would reluctantly have to choose AC.

I barely make SE status each year, so if the flights to HKG were the last flights putting me over the threshold, I would book AC over CX - even though I would guess that the CX experience is much better than the AC experience. My preference for AC would be even higher next year (even though with great reluctance) because of the AQD situation.
This is why AC will be raising their prices next year. The AQD requirement was a prelude to the price increase....especially the latitude and business class fares. Just my 2c worth.We should have the ability to try CX and not be bound to AC just for the status the benefits of which is becoming more an illusion than reality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.