Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by marke190
The TK flights will still earn AQM/AQS, right?
Yes. Just not AQD, which are going to be the most important limiting reagent for SE in 2017, I think.
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It looks like FP's purchases last year, but valid in 2016, won't count towards AQD, but only AQM/AQS. From the wording, I take it that only NEW FP purchases as of January 1st, 2016, will count towards AQD.

And man, I'm starting to regret the $196 BOS-YYZ-CDG-YYZ-BOS flights, since that is just pennies against the AQD.

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Because while two people can have the same $ spend, one can be wildly profitable, while the other barely breaks even.

I assume that with $12K per year you fly a lot of low Y fares? Or very short routes? There is probably no comparing between the margin of a Tango and that of a P fare.
It's based on 8 paid discounted business flights transborder at an average fare of around $1600 (net of fees and taxes). If somebody is flying enough segments/miles to make 75K for $9K I would think it costs AC more to service that flyer.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
LHR-JNB is available as an AC codeshare, so as long as you book it as such, should earn AQD, no?

My January YYZ-CDG-IST-JNB-IST-YYZ is outta luck except for YYZ-CDG and IST-YYZ, though.... while it's all on an 014 ticket, the TK flights aren't AC codeshares, I don't believe. Certainly weren't booked as such. That's somewhat disappointing.
This seriously complicates planning for global fliers (and their travel agents). As we all know, fares can be substantially different for the same seat marketed by different carriers. Before we needed only worry about the partners' mileage accrual based on fare bucket. Now there's that, plus the AQD dimension.

As well as raising the bar for the short-haulers, this change effectively reduces competition for AC from its own *A partners. Much more than the AC metal requirement, is my instinct.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:30 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by marke190
The TK flights will still earn AQM/AQS, right?
The TK flights would if you purchase them as an AC codeshare (014 stock and an ACXXXX flights, not a TKXXXX flight).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by drvannostren
They did it. Great, but they're also gonna lose money. I won't chase an AC flight anymore if AA is cheaper, which it often is. I guess they figure that the benefit is greater, since they earn no money on a UA fare but they give benefits away for those people.

Personally I was fine with the metal requirement, both in practice and for myself. But the jump from $9k to $20k is a bit ridiculous imo.
AC probably checked its member base and said "we want only the top flyers to get top status", and realized that cutting it at $20K properly identified that.

I could've made E75K this year, but decided to spend my cash dollar billz elsewhere for better value, as everyone should.

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Remember everyone. Just because you are not an SE does not mean you are an inferior person.
And how are you enjoying your first day on Flyertalk?

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by flyquiet
They explicitly say the requirements apply regardless of residency.
Ah - I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing out!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by PlainEnthusiast
It's based on 8 paid discounted business flights transborder at an average fare of around $1600 (net of fees and taxes). If somebody is flying enough segments/miles to make 75K for $9K I would think it costs AC more to service that flyer.
Wow yeah ok, in your case it definitely

My impression is that all 014 tickets will count toward AQD regardless of metal. I cant see how you could split up a fare that involves codeshares to figure out the revenue for each segment. I am thinking of two cases (from my flying) that would look quite different under this new system.

YYZ-SFO-AKL return. Ticketed with NZ, YYZ-SFO on AC metal. This year the 4500 miles were a big factor in making the minimum AC miles. Can't ticket this on 014 (I think) so no help with AQD. Big loss.

YYZ-FRA-ATH return etc. 014 stock, FRA-ATH on LH. This would not have counted for AQM but will now count for AQD. Some gain.

OK, now realise I am wrong. First example, YYZ-SFO even ticketed on NZ would count, though I wonder how much.

Last edited by Maserati; Nov 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm Reason: Error

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
So next year will be the end of being SE for me. $20,000 on AC metal is too steep. I have hung on to SE for 2 years past retirement paying about $15,000 / yr total spend (probably about 2/3 to AC), but the new goal of $20,000 to AC is now clearly not worth trying for .

What do other airlines set the bar at? I think i recall reading it was a lot less.

And once i am no longer SE i expect my travel paterns will change drastically.
- probably will still do an annual africa trip so long as the cheap J fares that come out in the spring last. But i can now use one world who usually start these fares with *A matching later with more restrictions sometimes.
- no more upgrades from PE on the HKG flights (i was doing 2 of these per year ) and i cannot imagine doing the trip in economy, so snorkeling trips to Caribean now instead of Asia unless i can find J deals
-- i am about 180,000 miles short of being a 2mm and may give a slight preferance to AC flights to get that benefit to give to my daughter, but i am not sure.

First SPG taken by Mariott (and i am concerned there) and now this . Not a good week.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Highly arrogant of AC to introduce this without telling us what the 2017 status perks are.
Agreed.
And with the disproportionate spend required for SE, the benefits better be more attractive.
But we all know they will just get enhanced less than the other tiers.

Someone else also mentioned, why not just go pure spend? Why bother with AQM and AQS.
If I take approx. 25 Flex flights from YYZ-YVR I would likely hit that spend, but unless I connect, I won't hit the AQS. I can hit that spend which is important to AC, why not let me do it without the hassle of connecting?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:35 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by yvrgary
THIS is why FT needs to implement a Like button!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Pretty good so far!

I am forecasting >500 posts by tonight LOL
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Absolute
It looks like FP's purchases last year, but valid in 2016, won't count towards AQD, but only AQM/AQS. From the wording, I take it that only NEW FP purchases as of January 1st, 2016, will count towards AQD.
For eligible limited-credit Flight Pass purchases, you will be credited based on the value of each individual flight segment for the base fare and the carrier-imposed surcharges.
For eligible Unlimited Flight Passes, your AQD will be credited upon payment of your monthly installment, similarly to how we credit your AQM. The total amount of AQD which you will receive will correspond to the price paid for your Unlimited Flight Pass, before sales taxes.
For eligible Corporate Flight Passes where there is more than one traveller, the AQD value will be credited to the person who travels, not to the purchaser.

I would assume that this means the value of each flight is applied when the flight is taken or the money is received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.