Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Unattended bag in yyz D depart. Lounge ignore by staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Unattended bag in yyz D depart. Lounge ignore by staff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
Unattended bag in yyz D depart. Lounge ignore by staff

Flying tonight within Canada, using AC lounge in YYZ gates D area. Near our seat was a large black briefcase. It had been unattended since we arrived 20 minutes before.
I reported it to one of the two reception desk agents (the one with short dark hair on duty at 7pm est).
She brushed me off. I had to physically show her the bag. Assuming she would address it, i went to the restroom.
When I returned, the bag was still where we left it. The attendant was back at her desk chking her text messages.
Frustrated with her casual approach, I stupidly picked up the briefcase and left it on her counter.
She shouted at me to "put it back where I found it!" I returned to my seat.
A few moments later, this attendant brought the bag back, lectured me, and left it unattended once again.
10 minutes later some type of supervisor came over. She told me that I should not have touched the bag. I asked if they understood the risk involved, especially now, with airlines. I asked if they intended to take any action.
She smiled to humor me and left, with the bag remaining unattended. A few minutes later, someone announced over the loud speaker that a bag had been left unattended. Luckily, someone claimed it.

I was astounded at the lack of security awareness and protocols. Shame on you AC! I will be pursuing this with the authorities.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Absolutely atrocious behavior yet again by AC staff. Ben, if you're reading.

Next time I'd call the Police non emergency line and report it. I bet you Peel Regional will step in rather quickly.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Absolutely atrocious behavior yet again by AC staff. Ben, if you're reading.

Next time I'd call the Police non emergency line and report it. I bet you Peel Regional will step in rather quickly.
Bet you they will not. There's a protocol to follow and if calling it in, one of the first questions that will be asked is, "Did you report this to the airline employee"? Time will then be wasted in explaining that the AC agent(s) did not respond.The police will be incredulous, what do you mean the lounge personnel didn't respond? And then, maybe someone will be dispatched. An officer might show up 10-20 minutes later. It's not as if there are a large number of police officers around. There will also be a complacency because if the agent didn't respond, it might not be serious and because the briefcase had to pass through security first. We know how reliable CATSA agents in YYZ (and YUL) are (Not),

It all gets back to the behaviour of the lounge personnel. Personally, I am grateful the OP spoke up. I am even more grateful and appreciative that the OP took that briefcase and handed it over to the agent. Better he should blow up than me. (Seriously folks, never ever touch unattended luggage, you don't know if it has been armed for detonation.)

Perhaps it's time AC provide a security refresher course for personnel. AC reminds me of TG more and more. Hopefully, the OP files a complaint with the MoT .
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Since the bag was checked by security the threat should be 0. Isn't the lounge after all the security checks? And furthermore why bother the staff, they are always busy chatting/gossiping or texting.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Member

The airport should have been closed and the terminal cleared.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
The above pair of posts bring some much-needed perspective. The only bit I don't understand is why the lounge attendants couldn't simply place the bag in the lost & found cabinet. Considering the near certitude that the bag was harmless and abandoned, why expose it to the possibility of theft?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
The airport should have been closed and the terminal cleared.
LOL & La seguridad patria officials called in
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Why is this a FAQ?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Tempest in a teapot.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
LOL & La seguridad patria officials called in
I saw that. Nicely done...fast editing there.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
I saw that. Nicely done...fast editing there.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So what did the person who came and retrieve the bag look like? (And curious to know if there were there elite tags on the bag?)

As for the matter itself, I agree with others who wonder why this would even be an issue since it would have been screened by security at some point. And why would anyone want to blow up an AC gate...okay, I get that after reading many of the posts around here, but really?!

I think too many people are paranoid and lack a rational perspective on things like this. Or just watch too many Hollywood movies.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Security isn't fool proof...I commend the OP for actually pointing this out to the agents!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:52 pm
alc

maybe the lounge agent know exactly who owned that large black briefcase, a pilot, an AC Executive, a VIP, a SE, a SEMM, a SE2MM, etc....

or.... who said it was indeed the owner who picked up this large black briefcase
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Since the bag was checked by security the threat should be 0. Isn't the lounge after all the security checks?
Exactly what I was thinking. If this was pre-security there may be a concern. Even if this was outside the lounge there might be a (slightly less insignificant) concern. In the MLL people are typically FF's, many of whom have Nexus, etc. so are the lowest security risks to flying. I've left a bag unattended in the MLL in the past (when it didn't have valuables in it), when using the MLL shower. Pax regularly leave their bags unattended when using computers, getting food, etc. 20 minutes for an unattended bag may not be normal, but I wouldn't see an agent even batting an eye for this.

The OP reminded me of Chris Rock's "No Sex" song, and the part about not going to parties/clubs with metal detectors - you're only safe on the inside.

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
When I returned, the bag was still where we left it. The attendant was back at her desk chking her text messages.
Frustrated with her casual approach, I stupidly picked up the briefcase and left it on her counter.

Shame on you AC! I will be pursuing this with the authorities.
While you did use the word "stupidly," this is where you lost credibility. The bag is either a threat, or it isn't. A typical person wouldn't handle such a bag; by doing so IMHO you've pretty much validated the agent's perception that there was no threat. Your other option likely would have been to start yelling at people that there is an unattended bag and that they should back away, which would have been as likely to get you detained by security as the owner of the bag.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Why is this a FAQ?
+1 - That was my thought before even clicking the thread. First time I recall seeing this topic on the AC forum. Hardly something I'd call "frequent."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.