Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who pays for your AC fare and what fare do you buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who pays for your AC fare and what fare do you buy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by philelite
Company has a "Lowest Logical Fare" policy which I try to trick to get the the highest fare class possible (for fewer eUps and more status miles). For example if there are M8 (or anything less than 9) I'll buy up those seats so M0 then get my company travel agent to ticket it in the lowest fare class which is now B! Then I'll go and cancel those 8 tickets within the 24 hour window (no cancellation fee). I've been told this is evil, but it's a win-win for me
Pretty quick way to lose your job if your employer ever catches wind of your shenanigans.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) ~70% employer, ~20% me, ~10% an organization I volunteer with that has me attend meetings away from home once or twice a year.
2) International - a mix: discounted business the few times a year the fare is reasonable, PE the few times it has been available (most routes so far have not had it), lowest Flex typically and occasionally Tango when the differential is ridiculous. North America mix of Tango and lowest Flex depending on price differential and stage length. Much more willing to buy Tango now that I have far fewer opportunities to upgrade. Spending philosophy is the same whether paid by employer or personally. Our company goes by the adage of spend the money as if it were your own - so I try to live by that.
3) SEMM

Last edited by The Lev; Nov 21, 2015 at 10:59 pm
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
1) Mostly me, sometimes my employer

2) Tango or Flex, if I plan to try and upgrade (I qualify on segments). Every upgrade has cleared so far this year.

3) E50 (this year and next). I'm flying more, not the same, but that business is going to DL since my employer likes paying the lowest fare.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
1. Some personal (<20%), rest business accounts, under "lowest up to full Y" policy. I raise the business funds for the accounts, but it isn't "my" money and has to be spent following policy. Booked by self (no corp TA; must walk to TA if I need help on complex itinerary.) (Love philelite's trick, but can't phone AC. Have put off booking until <100% AQM classes expire/run out, rather than lie about lower fares being unavailable. Not sure how audited, but not pressing my luck.

2. Mostly high flex. Use Flex Flight Pass to book M last minute for comparable cost to lower flex advance fares. Have succeeded in getting PE reimbursed for super long flights. Once got Business on a complex TATL or TPAC itinerary when lowest Economy was Y, more than the lowest Business. J/PY really valuable for being able to go straight to work on arrival, and I think policy really should allow it explicitly.

3. One major trip go/no-go determines which side of E35K vs E50K.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
1) 90% Employer / 10% Me
2) Hi-Flex or Latitude -- Company has a "Lowest Logical Fare" policy which I try to trick... I've been told this is evil, but it's a win-win for me
3) SE 100K
Be careful now, this is now on the record. You could lose your job (I'd fire you in a heart beat if I were your boss); your credit card company will take note; and the airline company will start investigating your booking history.

Last edited by YYT82; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by YYT82
Be careful now, this is now on the record. You could lose your job (I'd fire you in a heart beat if I were your boss); your credit card company will take note; and the airline company will start investigating your booking history.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't do it all the time, so I don't think anyone is going to catch on. A trip here and there ends up costing the company a extra little bit. I just do it if I really need the miles (near end of year) or if I'm short on the eUp credits and need a higher fare class. I use a different credit card to book the tickets that I'm going to cancel, so not sure how they would link those? Also, I'm generate more revenue for AC so not sure why they'd be concerned?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I'm generate more revenue for AC so not sure why they'd be concerned?
Yes more revenue from your employer, but overall the picture is murkier. By buying up all those "cheaper" fares, some other travellers looking to book during that period might switch to a competing carrier with (temporarily) substantially lower fare. Thus seats might go unsold that otherwise would have been bought - costing far more than your fare difference.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Now, before we begin, this thread has the potential to be a measuring contest, let's try and stay respectful as always, and please, let's leave the micrometer at home

This is in regards to Air Canada tickets only. So if the money is going to Air Canada, and you want to share, please go ahead!

1) Who pays for the AC fare? E.g. You, your employer, your customer, your mom ? etc.
2) What fare do you usually buy? (Tango, Flex, Latitude, Premium Economy, Discounted Business, Business)
3) What's your Altitude status?

--------------
My response:
1) Employer
2) Lo-flex, sometimes Hi-flex
3) E75K
1) credit card sign up bonuses
2) I class TATL (only 1 trip on AC next year)
3) none, but *G
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
1) Employer
2) Latitude or Business normally (depending on travel time), some scenarios where it's Flex or lowest available fare
3) SE100K
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
1) My own co
2) Flight pass Flex primarily, some UA P, rare Tango, rare J/P/Z.
3) SE100K
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC E75K
1) Employer
2) Flex (travel policy allows the purchase of upgradeable fares), PE if price is "reasonably" close to Flex fare for an international flight. J only if nothing else is available and it's important to our customers that I'm there on specific dates (i.e. *very* rarely).
3) Just got so SE100K for first time ever.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
2) Hi-Flex or Latitude -- Company has a "Lowest Logical Fare" policy which I try to trick to get the the highest fare class possible (for fewer eUps and more status miles). For example if there are M8 (or anything less than 9) I'll buy up those seats so M0 then get my company travel agent to ticket it in the lowest fare class which is now B! Then I'll go and cancel those 8 tickets within the 24 hour window (no cancellation fee). I've been told this is evil, but it's a win-win for me
Fraud
380. (1) Every one who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, whether or not it is a false pretence within the meaning of this Act, defrauds the public or any person, whether ascertained or not, of any property, money or valuable security or any service,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years, where the subject-matter of the offence is a testamentary instrument or the value of the subject-matter of the offence exceeds five thousand dollars; or

(b) is guilty
(i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
(ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,

where the value of the subject-matter of the offence does not exceed five thousand dollars.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 380; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 54; 1994, c. 44, s. 25; 1997, c. 18, s. 26; 2004, c. 3, s. 2; 2011, c. 6, s. 2
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:11 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Now, before we begin, this thread has the potential to be a measuring contest, let's try and stay respectful as always, and please, let's leave the micrometer at home

This is in regards to Air Canada tickets only. So if the money is going to Air Canada, and you want to share, please go ahead!

1) Who pays for the AC fare? E.g. You, your employer, your customer, your mom ? etc.
2) What fare do you usually buy? (Tango, Flex, Latitude, Premium Economy, Discounted Business, Business)
3) What's your Altitude status?

Historical reference point:
1) taxpayers, generally
2) whatever it takes (took) to get me into J or F
3) Super Elite.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
1) 95% Employer, 5% me
2) Low Flex unless the differential to Tango is silly. Some PE on longer hauls when it's an option, J on long haul >10hrs.
3) E75 dropping to E50 next year - and only just achieving that by virtue of a circuitous TATL routing on my last two trips of the year - due to no AsiaPac trip in 2015.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
1. Me*
2. Discounted business. If no J cabin on route, then just cheapest Tango available.
3. No AC status.

*If travelling on business (only a handful of times per year), then payment is a mix of me and the employer. I purchase Z/P, but can only get reimbursed up to the value of what Tango is selling for at the time. Sometimes I'll redeem my Aeroplan miles for these flights instead, if there happens to be availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.