Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Are you really sure they get upgraded all the time? Folks on the UA forum do not report that.
Many factors influence upgrades. Not the least the routes/airlines you fly, status, fare booking class and more.
AC vs ??? and ??? vs UA has been asked many times before
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Depends on route.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:03 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by flykinetic
.....A few friends are with United Air and they get upgraded ALL THE TIME because of their status which is equivalent to mine with AC. Has anyone switch from Air Canada to United?

What's the experience like? I'm seriously sick of AC with the stunt they pull and treating SE like any economy class customers.
Are you really sure they get upgraded all the time? Folks on the UA forum do not report that.
Many factors influence upgrades. Not the least the routes/airlines you fly, status, fare booking class and more.
AC vs ??? and ??? vs UA has been asked many times before
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Perhaps. But the grass seems to keep getting browner on this side of the fence.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Perhaps. But the grass seems to keep getting browner on this side of the fence.
With all ffp's the grass in going brown. None of them will be lush & green again. That's the way it is.
When was the last time any ffp had a change that was significantly better for the freq flyer?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
With all ffp's the grass in going brown. None of them will be lush & green again. That's the way it is.
When was the last time any ffp had a change that was significantly better for the freq flyer?
9/11 due to the hit on airlines' businesses.

I suspect this year is the same. With the eup promos and the lack of news at this point, I suspect something good is coming, for us.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a YYC based flier. Made the switch to UA a couple of years ago when aeroplan points became too difficult to use and I began doing a lot more US travel for work and personal. In addition to what everybody else has posted here, I would add:

1. UA earns miles on revenue rather than miles. You might want to do the math before you switch, especially since the Canadian dollar has taken a massive hit which gives you fewer USD when miles are calculated

2. I find the same day change feature awesome. I generally don't have to worry about long layovers (particularly on the way back from SYD - my regular commute) because 90% of the time I can same day change into the flight I want. Usually it's available on the app, but otherwise I've found the airport staff can generally do it for you regardless of the fare class.

3. United miles are way easier to use than aeroplan.

4. Being on UA means you aren't forced onto AC when flying domestic in Canada. The miles from AC domestic are so minimal that it's often not worth bothering with. so it opens up a bit of freedom to choose WS when that option is more convenient without really sacrificing anything.

5. Upgrades out of YYC seem to be pretty good. I'm at about 20% this year as a gold. That's good enough for me, I'm not fussy.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So the one thing I see in common from people saying "I switched to UA and it's awesome!" are that their primary destinations are to the US.

YOW-YYZ-usa became YOW-EWR-usa. No real change.

If you're flying to the US from Canada, then UA may be a better option.
If you're flying internationally from Canada and don't mind transiting through the US (keeping in mind this is not feasible for everyone), UA may be a better option.

But if you're flying on routes that are best served by AC, then UA is unlikely to be the better option.

My advice is pick the airline that has the best service on your routes, and then pick the frequent flyer program run by the airline you will fly most often.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I think part of it is Canadians flying United experience it more.

My name certainly climbs higher on the upgrade list on United flights to / from Canada, than it does on purely domestic United routings.

I suspect there are fewer Americans-with-MP-status on those routes, and fewer Canadians-with-MP-status as well.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow

YOW-YYZ-usa became YOW-EWR-usa. No real change.
Actually, it's a significant change.
First. From YOW UA flies to EWR, IAD and ORD. Flying to EWR any time after 12 noon is a crap shoot. Flying to EWR in the early morning is generally no worse than flying to YYZ, then connecting in EWR (which by then is often after 12 noon) IAD is generally easy moving. ORD is no better, no worse than connecting in YYZ domestic.
Second. Flying YOW-YYZ-US often means a third flight. Eliminating that third flight is a significant time-saver, plus reduces the chances of missed cnx etc.
Third. Time saved.
Four. Reduction from 2 to 1 of security clearance procedures and lineups.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by why fly
787 is 17" x 31
767 is 18" x 30"
Really and you don't call that Rouge. Trust me you will prefer the 767 experience. Or perhaps that was your input 787 is worse than Rouge.
767 is actually 17.5x30"
787 is actually 17.3x31"

I'm wondering how many times someone can actually say AC seating = rouge before their head explodes.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Switching from AC to UA

I made the switch recently from AC to UA. Mostly because my work has changed and I am now based in IAH. However, even given that IAH is a fortress hub, I still get more upgrades than I would get on AC. At some point with AC, you will run out of upgrade credits. With UA, anything in North America is essentially just given away if you have status. I'm only Gold and I have a 50% upgrade success rate. Sometimes days before I even check in.

Note that I could stick with AC, because most of my miles are related to trips to go back to Canada. But it just no longer made sense for me and I'm now a happy UA customer for the time being.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
767 is actually 17.5x30"
787 is actually 17.3x31"

I'm wondering how many times someone can actually say AC seating = rouge before their head explodes.
Ac seating = ro-

Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC SE100K
Wished AC can upgrade their status membersl like UA.
Running out of eupgrade credits for upgrades when you fly every week and on flight pass is ridiculous.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: *$ Green
Running out of eupgrade credits for upgrades when you fly every week and on flight pass is ridiculous.
Get a Lat flight pass. Free Y to J if there's room in J. Worse case you eUp for cheaper.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:53 am
Formerly known as tireman77

There have been many discussions about this. UA gives away their empty J seats, AC makes one pay, either via $ or eUp credits.

UA Domestic F is basically mediocre at best. By giving it away to frequent flyers it devalues it more. I can often buy UA Domestic F for little more than Flex on many destinations.

AC has chosen to make people pay. I agree with this. If you want to sit up front. Pay or stay in the back. I don't believe because one flies a lot they automatically deserve a seat up front. That leads to a major atmosphere of entitlement that is already rampant among frequent flyers.

So basically UA offers more opportunities to get upgraded to a mediocre J. If that is what one wants, then UA is the better programme for them. Just don't expect J (Domestic F) cabins to get bigger or any major improvements in food for these flights. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PLeblond
UA Domestic F is basically mediocre at best.
I hear this a lot on the AC forum, and I dispute it. I don't have the depth and breadth of many here, but with my experience with AC J YYZ - YVR isn't a lot different than UA J ORD - YVR.

Sure the AC food may be marginally better, but after that?

What am I not seeing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.