Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is OP buying Flex or Latitude tickets?

If you buy economy class tickets, why would you be surprised as being treated as economy class?

I too am SE. I buy latitude now where u/gs are a priority and discounted J if J is a must do.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Choosing the optimal airline and program depends on several personal factors. You've suggested upgrades are the most important factor for you.

If you want upgrades out of YYC going to the USA, you should download the UA schedule pdf and see where UA flies out of YYC, keeping in mind that schedules can change, and given what's happening to the Calgary economy any airline might adjust that schedule going forward.

Does UA go where you need to go, when you need to go, with a cabin in which to upgrade? If the answer is no, then it's probably not a good idea to switch to them. Upgrade benefits are strongly based on metal flown.

You would then have to consider the actual prospects of upgrading. The UA forum will have more info than we do about that.

If you have other optimization criteria you haven't told us about (redemptions, lounge access, flight frequency, non-stops) then the choice becomes trickier.

If upgrades are the main thing, it really comes down to: get the status on the airline you are actually traveling on.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zorn
Choosing the optimal airline and program depends on several personal factors.
Exactly.

Of course the usual "AC AT ALL COSTS" or "RAH RAH AC IS THE BEST!" posters have come out to chime in. Disregard those, Post #6 does a good summary

You need to choose to what works for you. Luckily you have choices.

Last thing that has not been mentioned is - who pays for your tickets - and how much are they. If they are low cost tickets, you may be better off earning mileage with AE, or it may be a wash. If they are high cost last minute OPM tickets - you are better off with MP.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Oh, how I love these thread, get out the popcorn and await AC posters try to justify how SE is good, when the poor suckers are stuck in cities that only have AC.

1. You can get status match with a challenge to UA, but you have to be creative, and quiet because apologists posted so much about it AC got it shut down.

2. If your flying most of the time in NA, then UA free upgrade policy is wonderful, and hassle free.

3. if you have to fly a bit international UA is light years ahead of AC in terms of getting upgrades without playing aerolotto, in fact pick well and upgrade the day you book your flight.

4. UA has 100 777 planes, in 3 configurations, its Continental planes use 2/2/2 in business class and its wonderful, domestic 777 are normal and I have never sat in the 4 section in the 777 with 2/4/2, thats for AC flyers.
Always pick rear facing seats the others are for the AC customers who don't know better.

5.UA 747 are awesome in the upper deck for Business class, and something AC people forget is UA still has F class on many planes.

6. UA has 767 with 3 different layout all fine. In fact you will love flying UA 767 to HNL in lay flat seats.

7. UA 787 are 2/2/2 in Business class

8. UA does not have Rouge.

9. All AC 777 and 787 planes will now have Rouge seating in Economy.

10. Now lets make it simple if your PAYING to fly, you will love UA. Its cheaper to fly up front, and once your 1k all the poor service from AC is just a blast from the past! Oh did I mention UA did not Rouge its entire 767/787/777 fleet?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
At best, Business class on UA is the equivalent of premium economy on AC. My experience has been that a seat at the back of the AC plane next to the stinky lav is still better than a domestic J class seat on UA.
Not sure I agree. Recently flew EWR - BOM LMU in J from a M seat on UA, cost $800 in addition to the $700 one way fare. J service on UA is no better than AC, but far better than PY. Lie flat seat, acceptable food and the same old grouchy FA's that AC offers. I thought $1500 one way in J good value. Not sure PY is a fair comparison.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sram
Not sure I agree. Recently flew EWR - BOM LMU in J from a M seat on UA, cost $800 in addition to the $700 one way fare. J service on UA is no better than AC, but far better than PY. Lie flat seat, acceptable food and the same old grouchy FA's that AC offers. I thought $1500 one way in J good value. Not sure PY is a fair comparison.
Because anything AC is vastly superior to anything else around these parts?
I guess in AC world, a 38" seat is the same as a 76" bed.
Is there logic to it, or is it supported by facts? Of course not, it just is. Accept it.

There is no reasoning or consideration of individual needs. AC is the best. Always. UA/AA/The World suck. Period.

There were a couple great comparisons in this thread, and the poster needs to decide on their own about making a move.

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 30, 2015 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Slightly off topic, but I must say that I was impressed with the coherent and reasoned advice on this thread, up to a certain number of posts.

I was expecting it to degenerate much more quickly. Kudos to most of you.

That being said, I suggest OP analyses the pros and cons for their own motivations and their own type of flying. No one programme is best for every individual. List what is most important to you, then see which programme fits best. Its OK to be happy with whichever option works best.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
5.UA 747 are awesome in the upper deck for Business class, and something AC people forget is UA still has F class on many planes.
UA F service + food is subpar IMO to AC J. While I do like the fact I'm flying "First", it didn't seem "amazing" to me.

7. UA 787 are 2/2/2 in Business class
And AC is 1x2x1 reverse herringbone. A much better hard product.

9. All AC 777 and 787 planes will now have Rouge seating in Economy.
This statement is not correct. They will have slimline seating, 31" pitch, but they are not getting the Rouge product. If you want to say, it's getting denser, ok....

Plus, with PY and now new J, I'm all for it. If people are so cheap, then they deserve what they get.

The experience up front is what is getting better. I'm all for that.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
UA F service + food is subpar IMO to AC J. While I do like the fact I'm flying "First", it didn't seem "amazing" to me.

And AC is 1x2x1 reverse herringbone. A much better hard product.

This statement is not correct. They will have slimline seating, 31" pitch, but they are not getting the Rouge product. If you want to say, it's getting denser, ok....

787 is 17" x 31
767 is 18" x 30"
Really and you don't call that Rouge. Trust me you will prefer the 767 experience. Or perhaps that was your input 787 is worse than Rouge.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 30, 2015 at 5:27 pm Reason: snark
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I would hold off until Air Canada announces next year's enhancements. I suspect the decision then will be even easier.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:25 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Could oneworld be an option for you? I've been very happy with AA recently. And since you are YYC based, you can status match to Westjet gold and fly them domestic. Then you wouldn't have to worry about upgrades
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
As others have pointed out, what's right for you depends on you.

That said, I made the switch from AC to UA a few years back and I've had no regrets. For my needs, UA MP is a better program that's much easier to use. Aeroplan has been enhanced too much and too many times for my tastes.

In general I prefer AC's J product but UA's is OK if you choose your seats properly. UA IT is far superior to AC - the UA website is transparent in that it will show you R space and other useful tidbits. And the UA app is similarly useful.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
As I said above, I made the switch last January - But one thing I forgot to mention.

Not sure if it's a consideration, but there is no MileagePlus credit card in Canada.

I've heard rumours of using a hotel card (Marriott maybe?) and then swapping the points into MP, but to date I haven't bothered.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I jumped from AC SE to UA. Next week I'll hit Premier 1K

I like a bigger seat and I get quite a few upgrades on UA. Even paying up to 1st is far more reasonable than what I was ever offered on AC. (AC YOW-YYZ was often around $175. UA ORD-LAX I upgraded a few times for about $120.00)

The biggest reason I changed was because I was tired of going through security in YOW, flying to YYZ, then having to go through Customs and security again. Leaving YOW directly on UA, I avoid one (often lengthy) 2nd security clearance.

Also, returning home is far easier without having the second security screening.

Most of my travel is YOW to US. Changing to UA for me just made good sense.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flykinetic
.....A few friends are with United Air and they get upgraded ALL THE TIME because of their status which is equivalent to mine with AC. Has anyone switch from Air Canada to United?

What's the experience like? I'm seriously sick of AC with the stunt they pull and treating SE like any economy class customers.
Are you really sure they get upgraded all the time? Folks on the UA forum do not report that.
Many factors influence upgrades. Not the least the routes/airlines you fly, status, fare booking class and more.
AC vs ??? and ??? vs UA has been asked many times before
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.