Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

UA 1k taking AC to HKG to save $, what will the AC experience be like in steerage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1k taking AC to HKG to save $, what will the AC experience be like in steerage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:44 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all --

Instead of loyally taking UA from SFO-HKG, I'm considering SFO-YVR-HKG with family to save several hundred $ in economy. And there's the possibility of a nice stopover for a day in YVR.

My question is, in economy (with no hope of upgrading, etc), what is AC like? I assume this is not their Rouge low cost product, just normal economy trans-Pacific. Pretty much the same experience as UA economy? (or worse, if they don't have E+ equivalent?)

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Hi all --

Instead of loyally taking UA from SFO-HKG, I'm considering SFO-YVR-HKG with family to save several hundred $ in economy. And there's the possibility of a nice stopover for a day in YVR.

My question is, in economy (with no hope of upgrading, etc), what is AC like? I assume this is not their Rouge low cost product, just normal economy trans-Pacific. Pretty much the same experience as UA economy? (or worse, if they don't have E+ equivalent?)

Thanks!
what kind of plane? AC has some 10 across 777's that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Maybe post this question in the AC forum?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:52 pm
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyh64000
what kind of plane? AC has some 10 across 777's that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
I just looked and the AC flights are 777 (YVR-HKG, HKG-YYZ, going back to NYC). But hopefully not the 10 across 77W? Seatguru says those serve Montreal-Paris at the moment. The other 777 appear to be 3-3-3 config.

[actually, correction, doing out the fare estimate on AC.com actually shows this plane is the 77W with Prem. Eco and 3-4-3 across...]

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Maybe post this question in the AC forum?
Yes, I'd be glad to know if that is more appropriate, but I equally thought the perspective of UA fliers on AC would be specifically informative. I am open to this being moved if needed.

Last edited by TA; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by TA
Yes, I'd be glad to know if that is more appropriate, but I equally thought the perspective of UA fliers on AC would be specifically informative. I am open to this being moved if needed.
UA fliers don't fly AC TPAC in Y period, if we do we fly NH even it is a 1stop flight.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
SFO-YVR is AC Rouge with 29" pitch.

Try to get a UA-operated flight for that segment. You may even get a CPU.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
UA fliers don't fly AC TPAC in Y period, if we do we fly NH even it is a 1stop flight.
I flew HKG-YYZ in AC Y last February. Quite enjoyed the service, as AC has kept all sorts of little touches -- and an inflight service mentality -- that reflects what excellence looks like from a North American carrier.

That said, YVR-HKG uses a high density 777 with 10-across in Y and 31" pitch. The good news is AC's pricing of Preferred seating is much more reasonable than UA"s upcharging for Economy Plus, so it's not tough to fly comfortably on AC.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
As a 1K a couple years ago, I flew Air Canada in economy to Shanghai on a 767. Economy was ok, neither good or bad. I am average size so didn't feel cramped. Had personal AVOD and charging ports for each seat, certainly better than 747 in economy.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Look for the letters "HD" in the equipment, or 10-across in Y. That stands for "High Density", and will make you want to kill yourself before the midflight snack... Even J on those birds is cramped.

I've been on the non-HD equipment YVR-NRT/HND before, and it's actually quite pleasant. Other than the ads on their IFE that you can't fast-forward through, I don't mind AC.

Totally agree with the poster who suggested NH though. They're my go-to *A TPAC these days, when not on DL's A330's out of SEA (which are very VERY nice indeed in BE!).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
.... Yes, I'd be glad to know if that is more appropriate, but I equally thought the perspective of UA fliers on AC would be specifically informative. I am open to this being moved if needed.
Agree the AC forum is a more appropriate place, you get a large audience with experience on the aircraft and many of those can make comparison to UA aircraft.

So will move to the AC forum, please follow there.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is a reason why AC sells these flights cheap ex-usa. They have 458 seats to fill on YVR-HKG

SFO-YVR will be on the above mentioned Rouge - 29" pitch, that is Spirit-like

After you stretch your legs in YVR, more misery awaits on board the AC777HD with 458 seats on YVR-HKG.

Service/food wise - its the same crap as UA Y, but with slightly worse IFE.

As a UA1k - you are back of the bus, no chance at any 'premium' seating unless you pay for it.

I suggest reading this before you decide to buy these flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...epic-fail.html
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
The YVR - HKG flight is indeed the 77P config (HD)

You can compare it to the YUL - CDG and YVR - LHR flights.

It is very similar to rouge in the Y section.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TA
Pretty much the same experience as UA economy? (or worse, if they don't have E+ equivalent?)
Much worse due to the HD configuration.

Don't do it.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Much worse due to the HD configuration.

Don't do it.
Except that it's the same seat pitch/width in Y as a UA 747.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:49 pm
TA
Original Poster

thanks for all the useful info.

Side question sparked in my mind -- I wonder why AC feels (or what is the calculation) that high density to Asia is ok. Is it to do with physical size of typical pax being smaller? Like TG economy 10-across? Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.