Wiki Posts
Search

I take it all back

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I take it all back

Last year I posted a thread about the number of AC Pilots in the Plaza Premium lounge at Pearson. I complained that it seemed like a staff room. ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ff-lounge.html )

After recently trying to go back to the Maple Leaf Lounge a handful of times, I have to say that I take it all back.

The Pilots and staff are quiet, nice, always ready to have a conversation (and interesting!) but never in your face, and they almost universally clean up after themselves. When they need to do something like make a phone call, they go to an appropriate part of the lounge rather than having a loud conversation when other people are trying to relax a bit.

The contrast with the MLL these days is stark -- busy and crowded, massive lines for food, messy everywhere, loud.

So, I am sticking with PPL and I'm glad for the company! I take back everything I said in that post and more.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Totally agree. Been saying that since day 1. Heading to the PPL at YYZ as I type this
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

98% of my lounge visits are to PPL/Amex vs MLL,has been so for a number of years now.
OP is on the mark with their observations^
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:27 am

Domestic YYZ, PPL is my preferred choice.

Last 2 times leaving YEG used them instead of MLL as well. YEG MLL has become a packed zoo ( like all MLL) depending on time of day.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
People say PPL all the time. Visit the transborder one YVR....it'll change your mind.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xLuther
Domestic YYZ, PPL is my preferred choice.

Last 2 times leaving YEG used them instead of MLL as well. YEG MLL has become a packed zoo ( like all MLL) depending on time of day.
Love love love YEG PPL!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Dorian
People say PPL all the time. Visit the transborder one YVR....it'll change your mind.
I don't remember it ever being bad. What issues due you have with it? But the YVR transborder MLL isn't bad either. It's usually quiet and comfortable.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by After Burner
I don't remember it ever being bad. What issues due you have with it? But the YVR transborder MLL isn't bad either. It's usually quiet and comfortable.
Small and dark with a poor food selection.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Ditto. I dont have an issue with YVR TB PPL
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Dorian is right on this - YVR PP/Amex is pretty dire, perhaps because of traffic. But in general, I agree with others that in most cases, Amex lounges are on par and in some cases better - and where there is a Centurion lounge, no contest (hello LGA)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
YVR TB PPL is one of the worse lounges I've been to among larger North American airports. Like Dorian said, small, dark, and a tiny selection of terrible food.

Poorly-trained staff who don't know the product very well.

I've been there in the morning when their method for politely indicating that bar service hasn't yet begun is to cover the beer portion of the fridge with a towel, with a Sharpied note reading "NO BEER BEFORE 11AM".

...then there was the issue with the moldy bread, twice in a week.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Dorian
Small and dark with a poor food selection.
I remember now, it IS dark. I usually don't get to go there anyway because my wife hates it.

The one thing I do like about PPLs is that I rarely see/hear yappy, screaming kids. That seems to be an ongoing problem in MLLs.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

I dug through my memory files. I remember why I don't have an issue with it. The hot food. I agree, the YVR MLL TB is more airy and nice in that regard, but the garbage I have to put up with means I don't go there.

Plus there's a Starbucks right by the PPL.... Also I like watching people suffer as they wait to go through Customs o.O

Main downside is that damn waterfall makes me want to pee...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
The title of this thread is ambiguous click-bait, designed to get us to open it and ...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
The title of this thread is ambiguous click-bait, designed to get us to open it and ...
I was really hoping it was somebody choosing a truly unusual forum through which to apologize to their spouse for getting caught on the Ashley Madison list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.