Search

Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YVR guy
How long has AC been serving Drappier as their only choice of Champagne? Hopefully this is an indication that AC is finally going to change it.
I quite like the Drappier.

Be careful what you wish for - any change will likely enhance their bubbly to the price level of the rest of the wine they serve.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev

Be careful what you wish for - any change will likely enhance their bubbly to the price level of the rest of the wine they serve.
For champagne, and looking at a product in sufficient quantity, The AC Drappier is about as cheap as it gets.

I suspect it's not going anywhere any time soon.

My impression is that it has changed somewhat in recent years. Not as much dosage (sugar added) as it used to be. I like it better now than before.

But yes, the Drappier is more or less the only drinkable choice they offer.

There was a time some years back when they would only load minimal quantities, actually half bottles. Often on return flights they would no longer have any. Issue was discussed here at some length. Eventually they went back to stocking full bottles and enough of them.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:11 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond

Drappier is a small independent Champagne house, the standard label served on Air Canada is good.

This said, the Drappier 2002 La Grande Sendrée served on board JAL's First Class is really nice:

http://www.vins-et-oenotourisme.fr/v...e-2002-21.html
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I like the beer they have in YYZ. I don't remember what it's called. But it's the only lounge I actually have a beer in
Interesting. I usually eschew the YYZ MLL (*shock* *awe*) and linger around the Mill Steet pub in the dom area (even if flying intl), since I assumed the YYZ MLL would be like the rest and have just Molson and Guinness. Getting a bit OT I guess now.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
For champagne, and looking at a product in sufficient quantity, The AC Drappier is about as cheap as it gets.

My impression is that it has changed somewhat in recent years. Not as much dosage (sugar added) as it used to be. I like it better now than before.

But yes, the Drappier is more or less the only drinkable choice they offer.

There was a time some years back when they would only load minimal quantities, actually half bottles. Often on return flights they would no longer have any. Issue was discussed here at some length. Eventually they went back to stocking full bottles and enough of them.
Originally Posted by AC TATL/TPAC menus in the last many months
Champagne Drappier, Carte d'or Brut, Reims, France
Champagne Drappier has become a favourite on board, and we will continue to share with you this wonderful Cuvée.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

You're probably right. That being said, Moet & Chandon champagne is only ~15% more expensive than the Drappier and would be a better choice IMO.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:07 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You're probably right. That being said, Moet & Chandon champagne is only ~15% more expensive than the Drappier and would be a better choice IMO.
I agree, Moët & Chandon would be a better choice, but the price is more than 15% compared to the Drappier. In Montreal at the SAQ, a bottle of Drappier sells for $45 and the Moët & Chandon sells for $63....

Taittinger would be a good compromise at $57, as well as Pommery and Laurent Perrier in the same price range.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
I agree, Moët & Chandon would be a better choice, but the price is more than 15% compared to the Drappier. In Montreal at the SAQ, a bottle of Drappier sells for $45 and the Moët & Chandon sells for $63....

Taittinger would be a good compromise at $57, as well as Pommery and Laurent Perrier in the same price range.
Fair enough, though I'd assume what AC pays would be closer to the lowest int'l retail price and not the inflated Cdn market retail prices.

I only had a quick look online and found Drappier sold at 20Euros excl. tax and Moet & Chandon at 23Euros excl. tax.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So, I went to go to the survey, and it asked whether I usually drink wine when I'm in J on AC.

I always drink a glass of wine with lunch or dinner, maybe a couple glasses. But when I fly in the morning or on very short flights (e.g. LGA-YYZ), I don't. So when it asked me that question, I said no. It kicked me out of the survey and won't let me go back. So even though I've probably drunk wine on ~30 AC J flights in the past year, they apparently don't care about my opinion.

Whereas if I said I had flown AC J 5 times and usually drank wine, they probably would have let me answer.

Way to let an amibiguous question kill a response from someone who would have liked to share his views, AC
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I like the beer they have in YYZ. I don't remember what it's called. But it's the only lounge I actually have a beer in
The Harp Lager?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
The Harp Lager?
Yes!

Not the best, but it's at least drinkable, unlike Canadian
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting. As indicated upthread, I'm no fan of the current AC wines, but are you sure about that?

Most of the AC wines can be purchased via regular retail distribution channels.

Even if the wines were specifically made for the airlines, that's not necessarily an indication of poor quality. I visited a winery near CPT a few years ago where barrels were marked with the customers' name which included CX and LH. Probably no top-of-the-shelf wines, but perfectly drinkable.
Yes they have a wine buyer you goes to winery's that are clearing out end of bins. Other than that it's a specific wine that is in masss production that will cost no more than $12-15 max.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:23 pm

Are you talking J or F?

F is a very different kettle of fish and not a fair comparison.
You are correct it's not a fair comparison but just look what SG serves in J.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silvercity
Yes they have a wine buyer you goes to winery's that are clearing out end of bins. Other than that it's a specific wine that is in masss production that will cost no more than $12-15 max.
Perhaps cost them.

I saw some wines they serve domestically at my favorite liquor store in Calgary. One was priced $25 an Italian red, I believe name was Picens or something like it), the other $18 I believe.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:37 am

Perhaps cost them.

I saw some wines they serve domestically at my favorite liquor store in Calgary. One was priced $25 an Italian red, I believe name was Picens or something like it), the other $18 I believe.
You can"t compare Canadian Govement monopoly tax mark up on wine (Alberta aside). To AC Bonded non or duty Wine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.