Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Western Canada Flight Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PLeblond
That would be the ultimate in hypocrisy.
I've never noticed any hypocrisy 'round these parts
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:55 am

I did not buy any of these flight passes but I totally support the class action.

Air Canada needs to take responsibility for the content that appears on their website. Otherwise they can cancel ANY ticket they declare as an error.

The fact is here in Canada we lag behind US/EU with passenger rights.

Unfortunately, history has shown us that Air Canada will not act unless its forced to due so. Passenger compensation comes to mind.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I am. Did not know that. Good to know.
fyi
http://consumerist.com/2015/06/29/al...rs-except-one/
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by mkjr
yvrgary. if you bothered to take about 1 minute, you could have easily logged in linkedin and seen this persons full bio.
I noted when the gentleman was called to the bar, and then asked a question about a specific, short gap in his working history, and you're telling me I should have Googled the guy?

Dude has edited his Linkedin page since yesterday, none of the work history aside from his own firm was listed when I wrote my post.

Not that it has much of an effect on the AC portion of this conversation, but the part where he says he practised law in another firm before founding his own doesn't really seem to be accurate, so much as he worked there as an articling student before being called to the bar.

That said, you've got to love a guy whose creativity leads him to name his company "Innovative Innovations, Inc.".

Anyway, my point in this case is that all of the lawyers in this firm were called to the bar last year.

Were I a member of this class action, that wouldn't fill me with an awful lot of confidence, so much as make me think this is a law firm taking on a losing case to get its name out there.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Were I a member of this class action, that wouldn't fill me with an awful lot of confidence, so much as make me think this is a law firm taking on a losing case to get its name out there.
It was all they could afford. Their first choice was too expensive -- this guy:

Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:26 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by imverge
I did not buy any of these flight passes but I totally support the class action.

Air Canada needs to take responsibility for the content that appears on their website. Otherwise they can cancel ANY ticket they declare as an error.

The fact is here in Canada we lag behind US/EU with passenger rights.

Unfortunately, history has shown us that Air Canada will not act unless its forced to due so. Passenger compensation comes to mind.
If I go my local restaurant and I get the bill and they forgot to charge for a beer, I will tell them. By the way, I think you didn't charge me enough.

There was no banner ad proclaiming a super deal. They made a mistake.

On a personal, moral level, the two situations are the same. If I would tell the waitress she made a mistake, why would I hold AC to a different standard?

Character is what you do when no one is looking...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
If I go my local restaurant and I get the bill and they forgot to charge for a beer, I will tell them. By the way, I think you didn't charge me enough.

There was no banner ad proclaiming a super deal. They made a mistake.

On a personal, moral level, the two situations are the same. If I would tell the waitress she made a mistake, why would I hold AC to a different standard?

I don't disagree with you and I have no doubt you are being 100% sincere and honest because I know you're a good guy!

But as a different perspective - for myself I haven't look at the detail on a restaurant bill in longer than I am remember. I actually give them my card before I get the bill and pay.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Since AC and other airlines regularly discount fares 75% or more, who's to say a 90% discount was a mistake....other than the seller.
Exactly. AC had the $600 passes in 2008 (and similar in previous years) which many used for far more than 10 flights. A FT participant by the name of mtacchi bought one and apparently spent the entire duration either on AC aircraft, or in the MLL's.

AC routinely offers travel to its employees and industry partners for a mere fraction of the "normal" retail price. AC sells seats to Aeroplan at prices that likely approximate the price charged on these passes.

So I personally see no reason, given AC's prior history, that this wouldn't be interpreted by the general public acting in good faith as a legitimate AC sales tactic, rather than a 'price error' as alleged.

Additionally, if AC is allowed to get away with rescinding these duly executed contracts, it takes away much of the internal incentive for AC to develop a competent IT function in its organization. Which presumably would have enacted meaningful checks and balances.

{for the record, I didn't buy one, so I am not speaking out of any sort of self-interest here}
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:38 am

why would I hold AC to a different standard?

When AC blocks T&C page on their website so passengers can't govern themselves accordingly that's character?

When AC adds fuel surcharges and disguises them as taxes that's character.

Oh I know... When they price-fix cargo that's character.

I get it... all the above shenanigans ARE the standard at AC!

Last edited by imverge; Sep 2, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
deleted

Last edited by YOWgary; Sep 2, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by pitz
Exactly. AC had the $600 passes in 2008 (and similar in previous years) which many used for far more than 10 flights. A FT participant by the name of mtacchi bought one and apparently spent the entire duration either on AC aircraft, or in the MLL's.

AC routinely offers travel to its employees and industry partners for a mere fraction of the "normal" retail price. AC sells seats to Aeroplan at prices that likely approximate the price charged on these passes.

So I personally see no reason, given AC's prior history, that this wouldn't be interpreted by the general public acting in good faith as a legitimate AC sales tactic, rather than a 'price error' as alleged.

Additionally, if AC is allowed to get away with rescinding these duly executed contracts, it takes away much of the internal incentive for AC to develop a competent IT function in its organization. Which presumably would have enacted meaningful checks and balances.

{for the record, I didn't buy one, so I am not speaking out of any sort of self-interest here}
interesting. thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:59 am

...which of those things makes it okay for anyone else to behave that way?
I'm not saying it's ok. What I will say is Air Canada has not been held legally accountable for the shenanigans they've pulled on passengers. They keep getting away with it because no one does anything about it.

I'm happy to see someone stepping up to the plate just like consumer rights advocate Gabor Lukacs did last year in helping bring about change re: passenger compensation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/airl...says-1.2489336
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
Completely agree. While I can appreciate in the grand scheme how truly rare these types of errors are that relative rarity shouldn't be licence to refuse to honour them when they do occur. That is merely MHO as a poster.

Me neither.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
...which of those things makes it okay for anyone else to behave that way?
Behave what way? By purchasing a flight pass on their website at their price and told it is guaranteed and no refunds can be given no matter what?

The people that bought the pass didn't scam Air canada or rip off air canada. This is all Air Canadas fault not the consumers'.

All the Nav Canada Surcharges you see on the ticket are the biggest scam that both Air Canada's and Westjet have going. <This should be the class action lawsuit.

They amount they actually pay Nav Canada per flight is a fraction of what they charge the consumer, its based on approximately 40% passenger load factors, when in June, AC was at 86.2%

All that extra money is pocketed, and has been for YEARS. All the while Nav Canada has not increased fees in over 10 years, staying well below the rate of inflation to the tune of 25%.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
Behave what way? By purchasing a flight pass on their website at their price and told it is guaranteed and no refunds can be given no matter what?

The people that bought the pass didn't scam Air canada or rip off air canada. This is all Air Canadas fault not the consumers'.

All the Nav Canada Surcharges you see on the ticket are the biggest scam that both Air Canada's and Westjet have going. <This should be the class action lawsuit.

They amount they actually pay Nav Canada per flight is a fraction of what they charge the consumer, its based on approximately 40% passenger load factors, when in June, AC was at 86.2%

All that extra money is pocketed, and has been for YEARS. All the while Nav Canada has not increased fees in over 10 years, staying well below the rate of inflation to the tune of 25%.
And it's not just consumers... let's not forget that AC has been avoiding paying travel agents full commissions by listing "carrier surcharges" or as they were once known as "fuel surcharges".. "scam-charges" as most of us know as not part of the base fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.