Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Opinions please - YYZ MLL International

Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Hello. Longtime reader, infrequent poster.

Four of us are flying AC 1916 YYZ-LIS on 8/31 in Premium Rouge.

The scheduled departure time is 22:45 so to maximize sleep time on the flight we are contemplating paying the $25 pp fee for lounge access with the intent of eating there and having a couple of drinks.

1) is the food selection in this lounge reasonably good and reasonably tasty on a Monday evening?
2) the AC website says in part the MLL hours of operation are:
International Maple Leaf Lounges
Lounges open 90 minutes prior to the first Air Canada flight departure
Lounges close 30 minutes prior to the last Air Canada flight departure.
Am I correct that this lounge will be open until at least 22:15?
3) what would be the best time to arrive so that the lounge isn't overcrowded and food selection is good?
4) anything else I should be thinking of?

Thank you.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. You can get a meal of reasonable food, but if your idea is to pay for dinner, I'd suggest going to a restaurant.
2. Correct
3. Not sure
4. Go to a restaurant. You will probably spend less (unless you're heavy drinkers) for better food.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The food there has improved and is reasonably good. Certainly not gourmet, but you will be able to board the flight feeling "full" from what is on offer.

Is it "worth" $25 a head - If you plan on having a couple of drinks at the airport anyway, it is certainly cheaper than going to a restaurant. Even if all you really want to do is eat, a sit-down restaurant at the airport will almost certainly cost at least as much (but the food might be slightly better or worse depending on what you choose).

Of course you could also just eat a good meal at home (unless you are connecting or commuting from far away) and save the $25.

Overall ,I'd say if you like getting to the airport fairly early, then it is probably money well spent.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

The lounge will be busy regardless of the time. With all the new TATL routes that AC has added, the INTL MLL is too small.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by 172pilot
The lounge will be busy regardless of the time. With all the new TATL routes that AC has added, the INTL MLL is too small.

It's the window for those evening TATLs that is the problem, as many flights go out within a timeframe that causes overcrowding etc in the MLL.

I found it just fine for afternoon departures to HND/NRT and even the late afternoon LH to MUC.

OP has a late flight out, but the issue is if he and his group want to be there with enough time prior to their departure to have some food and drink, it will be crowded. Of course, closer to closing time, there may be less food options etc.

Perhaps some of those FTers who do the later AC LHR flights can offer some info.

I also agree with comments above that depending on expectations and the time they plan to be at the MLL, a restaurant may be a better option.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: SE100k
Originally Posted by 24left
I also agree with comments above that depending on expectations and the time they plan to be at the MLL, a restaurant may be a better option.
And depending on how many are in your traveling party, sitting together in the lounge will be a challenge. I'm in that lounge at least once a month, and I'd highly recommend you choose a nice restaurant and enjoy your evening.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
I'm in here as we speak and tbh it's pretty sucky. I mean, I'm not putting it down per-se, I like the fact I have a comfortable seat and can have a relaxing glass of wine.

But if I had to pay $25 to come in, I'd steer well clear. The food options are non existant and it is very crowded. As suggested above, go to a restaurant!

That said, flying PY you get a pretty reasonable meal. If you plan on drinking heavily, then by all means come here. It really depends what you're after!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by spidey9999
Hello. Longtime reader, infrequent poster.

Four of us are flying AC 1916 YYZ-LIS on 8/31 in Premium Rouge.

The scheduled departure time is 22:45 so to maximize sleep time on the flight we are contemplating paying the $25 pp fee for lounge access with the intent of eating there and having a couple of drinks.

1) is the food selection in this lounge reasonably good and reasonably tasty on a Monday evening?
2) the AC website says in part the MLL hours of operation are:
International Maple Leaf Lounges
Lounges open 90 minutes prior to the first Air Canada flight departure
Lounges close 30 minutes prior to the last Air Canada flight departure.
Am I correct that this lounge will be open until at least 22:15?
3) what would be the best time to arrive so that the lounge isn't overcrowded and food selection is good?
4) anything else I should be thinking of?

Thank you.
Supplemental reading: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...unge-food.html

I am in the YYZ Int'l MLL right now (for AC846) and all I can say is that it is your typical MLL zoo. A lovely cheapened product it is.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:29 pm

Nomad where are you? I'm here too for 848
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by moorw003
Nomad where are you? I'm here too for 848
Food area in the centre aisle round tables on the left with glasses, blue with red diamond checkered- tie, dark blue cardigan with white shirt underneath.

I have a self-made placemat of napkins to shield from the sticky/dirty table surface. Typing on iPad.

If you can find in me in the next 5 minutes (IF YOU DARE!)... will be boarding AC846 soon...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:46 pm

Nice to have met you sir
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moorw003
Nice to have met you sir
Likewise, moorw003. Trust you had a nice flight on a not-319
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Free Agent
I would never view the MLL as an alternate restaurant. Bar, maybe. That being said, if your party has never experienced the Lounge before a long flight, they will appreciate it vs hanging out in the intl departure lounge area.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Folks, thank you for your opinions and feedback.

We have all decided to have our evening meals at home and just meet later at the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.