Packed lounges

Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
For YUL, a possible solution would be to permit SEs and companions access to the international lounge with domestic flights.
That'd work. Last time through I tried and was denied (and was told I had to go through security to get to the domestic MLL).
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Prevent access to the fake *G members (e.g. A3*G) and the credit card churners or restrict to AC members when busy.

Either way, AC is in a precarious position. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally I feel it should remain status quo, unless all *G airlines adopt the same policy.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Prevent access to the fake *G members (e.g. A3*G) and the credit card churners or restrict to AC members when busy.

Either way, AC is in a precarious position. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally I feel it should remain status quo, unless all *G airlines adopt the same policy.
Lounge rules aren't harmonized now....
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
Lounge rules aren't harmonized now....
Core rules for *G

Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status

Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

Customer is entitled to one guest

United Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2252 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'd agree re overcrowding. I find that YYC/YEG are especially bad especially around the crunch time with lots of flights (or if there's a delay on an international).

However, YYZ Dom is just as much of a mess sometimes.

I've just gotten in the habit of leaving the lounge when it's like that and finding somewhere else to relax.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
For YUL, a possible solution would be to permit SEs and companions access to the international lounge with domestic flights.
My experience is that SEs have minimal trouble getting into the international lounge on domestic itineraries.

But at the moment, other than possible overcrowding in domestic, there's really no benefit.

Just reserve 50% of the lounge for SEs
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CanRulez

Okay...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pewpew
Okay...
Was the rolleyes for the "fake" comment, or the credit card churner comment?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm somewhat awaiting the day that A3 goes bankrupt and people show up at lounges arguing that their card is still valid

I was astounded how many people enter MLLs with TK/A3 *G.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC E50, NEXUS
I thought access Maple Leaf Lounges were something to aspire to but now that I've been using then for a couple of years I don't care about them for domestic travel.

I usually find the Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary MLLs too messy and busy to enjoy. (Winnipeg is doing a good job though, they keep that place clean and the AC staff are always professional and nice.)

Last week the Vancouver MML was more intense than the general concourse and the food area reminded me a university residence kitchen so I walked down to international departures and has a relaxing drink and snack in the Fairmont Hotel bar.

The 'free' food and drink offered are pretty meaningless to me. I'm looking for a place for dignified peace; to be treated, and treat others, with respect. I'll gladly pay for that.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
One of the various dumping grounds.
That is...disgusting.
Maybe they should change the lounge access policy such that only J pax get to use the lounges, hence no status, no companions, no credit cards, no passes, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was at YUL MLL domestic 10 days ago,solo. No issues,plenty of space
Was there again Saturday with Mrs.acysb87 and had no issues with space. Food offerings were limited and bowls empty or 1 piece of watermelon
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by agjil
That is...disgusting.
Maybe they should change the lounge access policy such that only J pax get to use the lounges, hence no status, no companions, no credit cards, no passes, etc.
This just happened on this thread with respect to your comment

I highly highly doubt what you are suggesting would ever happen. For example, AC is part of *A and as part of *G rules as was posted upthread, AC has to let in *G pax and whoever else, that includes their own elites.

They could pull a UA I guess and not allow their own elites to enter their own domestic lounges while flying domestically....
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by agjil
That is...disgusting.
Or at least have a section dedicated for paying J pax complete with waitress/waiter service like the MLLs of 3+ decades ago. That would work for me.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I never noticed the credit card churner comment, but now that you mention it...

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm somewhat awaiting the day that A3 goes bankrupt and people show up at lounges arguing that their card is still valid

I was astounded how many people enter MLLs with TK/A3 *G.
I haven't seen that many A3*G other than me, but I don't fly AC all that much anymore. FWIW, A3's actually doing pretty well economically

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.