Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

I am posting from AC1192 on a A319. My apologies if others have already posted about this development.

I poked around at the IFE and noticed some new content, so I decided to watch it.

Upon starting the show I was informed with an onscreen message that there would be 90 seconds of advertisements prior to my entertainment beginning. I attempted to fast forward, as usual. The touch screen was completely locked out. Absolutely no response, so no ability to even adjust the volume which is often cranked because of AC's crappy headphones.

Interesting development.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE

I'm on my second flight of the day and noticed the exact same thing.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I am posting from AC1192 on a A319. My apologies if others have already posted about this development.

I poked around at the IFE and noticed some new content, so I decided to watch it.

Upon starting the show I was informed with an onscreen message that there would be 90 seconds of advertisements prior to my entertainment beginning. I attempted to fast forward, as usual. The touch screen was completely locked out. Absolutely no response, so no ability to even adjust the volume which is often cranked because of AC's crappy headphones.

Interesting development.
Price to pay for free TV and movies?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Price to pay for free TV and movies?
They're not "free". I pay a lot of money to sit in that seat and watch TV.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Fly Westjet and you will get a different answer.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Free is a relative term. When I'm sitting in the J cabin like I am now does that mean that I'm also getting "free" food and drinks? Maybe I should sit through some commercials for the catering company, or the vinyards?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Free is a relative term. When I'm sitting in the J cabin like I am now does that mean that I'm also getting "free" food and drinks? Maybe I should sit through some commercials for the catering company, or the vinyards?
I was thinking of Y.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:49 pm

Had my 1st IFE equipped flight in a long time last Sunday and was also puzzled by the '90 second' comment prior to many minutes of unskippable advertisements.

On the return flight paid closer attention to the wording and realized that the movie did not take 90 seconds to start after the advertisements, it was almost instanteous.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
This would seriously piss me off if spread across the fleet and particularly J.

I have no problem with this in Y, given the economics. But in J this would be absolutely despicable.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
This would seriously piss me off if spread across the fleet and particularly J.

I have no problem with this in Y, given the economics. But in J this would be absolutely despicable.
I'm sitting in J...

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Yet another reason to bring my own entertainment.

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I was thinking of Y.
Well, we all know Y is basically provided by airlines as a form of charity and the only alternative to the always decreasing quality of the Y product is for AC to go belly up.

I mean, Y customers should just be happy that the Y cabin even exists at all, since the only reason it even breaks even is because of IFE ads and baggage fees, right?

Remember, people who buy Tango fares are responsible for their own misery, and it's their fault that the airline's only other offering for a superior hard product is 5-10x the cost, but a $1000 P fare to JNB is for smart and savvy people.

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was actually going to say almost the exact same thing, but thought talking about booze ads would be a little weird.

I'm glad you said it

Because I agree. 100%.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:25 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Nothing is free. Its included.

Your ticket/seat includes IFE with commercials. That is what you paid for. No where did it say you purchased a seat with commercial free IFE.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
You're right, they are not free, the cost of the IFE content is partially offset by the advertisements and sponsor messages that are (supposed to be fully) played after the safety demonstration.

You pay "a lot" (relative term) of money to sit in that seat and be flown from point A to point B.

There's really quite a simple solution to this dilemma here, AC just needs to implement the usage payment feature. That way you can pay $5 less for your ticket and pay $20 (or whatever it ends up working out to) more for use of the entertainment system.

[jk - sort of]
Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of subsidizing the use of the IFE for everyone else that uses it!!

Come on Air Canada, implement pay-as-you-go (even for J eUps) for the IFE, I want my $5 cheaper ticket!!
[/jk - sort of]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.