Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by D582
...But at least for me I think there are bigger issues in the world than having to watch a few adverts whilst hurtling through the air at 900 kph in a metal tube.
Thank you for this.

P.S. Part of the reason I provided a little bit of Media 101 is that I thought it would help explain the ad environment. However, as we see in this thread, there are some angry fliers who are perturbed by the in-flight ads. I would have said something like "Suck it up and move on, there are bigger issues out there", but then some of them would have flamed me, so I chose to explain the process rather than hurl angry comments. I can still do that, but it would cost extra.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:46 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually really dislike that video (if it's the one I'm thinking of - I only looked at the title).

It implies that since you're flying, nothing else matters, no matter how bad it is. Or at least that's how people use the video.

Who cares if you're in a serious car accident? You were driving along paved roads at 100km/h in a metal tube. You can't have everything.

You might as well shut FT down, because by your definition, every FF problem is a first world problem.
I think the point of the video is that there are very minor things that we make major issues out of. I absolutely love it. Give perspective on many things.

As to your last point, on some issues, I can't say I disagree with that suggestion. Hence my love/hate relationship with this place.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Or how about listening to an ad before you can start your car's air conditioning, unless you swipe your credit card...
If I don't want hearing adverts while I'm listening to music, I switch from Radio FM to XM. I have an option.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
How about the annoying Westjet Windows that cloud my beloved Flyertalk upon logging in?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
If I don't want hearing adverts while I'm listening to music, I switch from Radio FM to XM. I have an option.
And if I don't want to put up with stupid crap, I fly J. I also have an option to spend more money for better service.

They just don't seem to be fully delivering on the better service.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
How about the annoying Westjet Windows that cloud my beloved Flyertalk upon logging in?
I can show you how to solve that in a second
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I can't help wondering if AC is paying for those Westjet ads. They have the subliminal effect of establishing a mental association between Westjet's colors and being annoyed.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner
I can't help wondering if AC is paying for those Westjet ads. They have the subliminal effect of establishing a mental association between Westjet's colors and being annoyed.
Ok, that's funny.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
And if I don't want to put up with stupid crap, I fly J. I also have an option to spend more money for better service.

They just don't seem to be fully delivering on the better service.
Then pay more and fly private. If this is what AC is now doing, and if you don't like it, whip out the black AMEX otherwise I feel that they should have an offering where I can pay to skip the ads because I can't afford a private jet
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Then pay more and fly private. If this is what AC is now doing, and if you don't like it, whip out the black AMEX otherwise I feel that they should have an offering where I can pay to skip the ads because I can't afford a private jet
You're right, you'll avoid ads flying private because there's unlikely to be any IFE to show them on!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I put "fly private" in the same category as "shut up, you're FLYING IN A METAL TUBE".

It's an unhelpful comment in a thread about an actual issue. You can debate the importance of the issue, but you're just trolling right now, which I know you have personally complained about other people doing in the past.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Price to pay for free TV and movies?
Just the cost of a decent VPN service/a TV box.
(or youtube for some stuff + adblocker.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:00 pm

Which other airlines advertise on their IFE systems?

Gotta laugh at some of the arguments around here - "AC is providing free IFE and using ads to subsidize your airfare".

Sure, although if other airlines can do it ad-free while charging similar fares, I suspect it's not the fare that the passenger is paying that's the problem.

Either way, if this is what it's come down to, why not go the whole nine yards? Plaster the Y cabin with ads a la LCCs - overhead bins, seat back trays (both sides), bulkheads, catering carts, food trays.

Plenty of ways to generate revenue. So what if it degrades the passenger experience - AC is already being charitable to them by giving them a chance to fly despite their cheapness.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Since you wanted to know.....

This one is about ads on the physical interiors of cabins.

Why don't airlines advertise on the inside walls of a plane?

http://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlin...lls-of-a-plane

AND

This one explains why in-flights ads exist (which you now all know)

In-flight Advertising: Opportunity or Nuisance?

http://airlineguys.com/2012/02/09/in...y-or-nuisance/

Quote:

"For as long as we can remember advertising has been a critical part of the business of operating an airline. ....Lately, however, many other non-travel related business have been seeking ways of elevating their brands and getting the word out on what their companies have to offer. As to be expected, there are many opinions as to how advertisers and the traveling public feel about this.

Some think it is intrusive (“Can’t I just get on board and be left alone?”) others see it as a necessary way of doing business and increasing revenue. According to Ray Neidl, an analyst with Calyon Securities, if the ads are done in an appropriate manner, “it may be a long-term trend to raise additional revenues.” For the frequent flyer, many see onboard advertising as inappropriate, overreaching, and a nuisance. Some even call for advertising to be restricted to inflight magazines.

From an advertisers point of view, think about it: You have a captive audience (we were going to say an audience being held hostage however decided against that word) who may spend anywhere from 30 minutes on regional jet, to over 14 hours on some ultra long-haul flights. So, if your target audience is a captive audience, why not advertise to them? Therein lies prime revenue potential and advertisers are willing to pay lots of money to be able to advertise to an audience that has no other place to go."

Last edited by 24left; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: Add info
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Since you wanted to know.....

Why don't airlines advertise on the inside walls of a plane?

http://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlin...lls-of-a-plane

AND

In-flight Advertising: Opportunity or Nuisance?

http://airlineguys.com/2012/02/09/in...y-or-nuisance/
Can't open the links - what's the Coles notes version?

I flew UA longhaul a few months ago. They charged less than AC and their IFE selection was huge in comparison (higher quality too). Can't remember if they had ads though.

What about the website - AC should advertise on the online check in page too. And cover the check in booths (electronic and manned).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.