Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 15, 2:45 pm   #76
  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AA EXP, AC SE100K, OW E, *G, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 9,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by D582 View Post
...But at least for me I think there are bigger issues in the world than having to watch a few adverts whilst hurtling through the air at 900 kph in a metal tube.
Thank you for this.


P.S. Part of the reason I provided a little bit of Media 101 is that I thought it would help explain the ad environment. However, as we see in this thread, there are some angry fliers who are perturbed by the in-flight ads. I would have said something like "Suck it up and move on, there are bigger issues out there", but then some of them would have flamed me, so I chose to explain the process rather than hurl angry comments. I can still do that, but it would cost extra.
24left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 2:46 pm   #77
Formerly known as tireman77
  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I actually really dislike that video (if it's the one I'm thinking of - I only looked at the title).

It implies that since you're flying, nothing else matters, no matter how bad it is. Or at least that's how people use the video.

Who cares if you're in a serious car accident? You were driving along paved roads at 100km/h in a metal tube. You can't have everything.

You might as well shut FT down, because by your definition, every FF problem is a first world problem.
I think the point of the video is that there are very minor things that we make major issues out of. I absolutely love it. Give perspective on many things.

As to your last point, on some issues, I can't say I disagree with that suggestion. Hence my love/hate relationship with this place.
PLeblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:06 pm   #78
Suspended
  
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Or how about listening to an ad before you can start your car's air conditioning, unless you swipe your credit card...
If I don't want hearing adverts while I'm listening to music, I switch from Radio FM to XM. I have an option.
superangrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:15 pm   #79
  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: AC Aeroplan / DL SkyMiles / Hyatt Platinum / SPG Gold / HiltonHonors / Fairmont / Marriott / Accor
Posts: 4,788
How about the annoying Westjet Windows that cloud my beloved Flyertalk upon logging in?
ACYYZ/SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:18 pm   #80
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, AA Gold, UA*S, A3*G, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, CC Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
If I don't want hearing adverts while I'm listening to music, I switch from Radio FM to XM. I have an option.
And if I don't want to put up with stupid crap, I fly J. I also have an option to spend more money for better service.

They just don't seem to be fully delivering on the better service.
canadiancow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:23 pm   #81
  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AA EXP, AC SE100K, OW E, *G, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 9,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
How about the annoying Westjet Windows that cloud my beloved Flyertalk upon logging in?
I can show you how to solve that in a second
24left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:29 pm   #82
  
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: OGG, YYC
Programs: AA, AC
Posts: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
How about the annoying Westjet Windows that cloud my beloved Flyertalk upon logging in?
I can't help wondering if AC is paying for those Westjet ads. They have the subliminal effect of establishing a mental association between Westjet's colors and being annoyed.
After Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:32 pm   #83
  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AA EXP, AC SE100K, OW E, *G, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 9,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by After Burner View Post
I can't help wondering if AC is paying for those Westjet ads. They have the subliminal effect of establishing a mental association between Westjet's colors and being annoyed.
Ok, that's funny.
24left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 4:12 pm   #84
Suspended
  
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
And if I don't want to put up with stupid crap, I fly J. I also have an option to spend more money for better service.

They just don't seem to be fully delivering on the better service.
Then pay more and fly private. If this is what AC is now doing, and if you don't like it, whip out the black AMEX otherwise I feel that they should have an offering where I can pay to skip the ads because I can't afford a private jet
superangrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 5:02 pm   #85
  
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: OGG, YYC
Programs: AA, AC
Posts: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Then pay more and fly private. If this is what AC is now doing, and if you don't like it, whip out the black AMEX otherwise I feel that they should have an offering where I can pay to skip the ads because I can't afford a private jet
You're right, you'll avoid ads flying private because there's unlikely to be any IFE to show them on!
After Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 5:12 pm   #86
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, AA Gold, UA*S, A3*G, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, CC Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Then pay more and fly private. If this is what AC is now doing, and if you don't like it, whip out the black AMEX otherwise I feel that they should have an offering where I can pay to skip the ads because I can't afford a private jet
I put "fly private" in the same category as "shut up, you're FLYING IN A METAL TUBE".

It's an unhelpful comment in a thread about an actual issue. You can debate the importance of the issue, but you're just trolling right now, which I know you have personally complained about other people doing in the past.
canadiancow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 5:51 pm   #87
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse View Post
Price to pay for free TV and movies?
Just the cost of a decent VPN service/a TV box.
(or youtube for some stuff + adblocker.)
AA_EXP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 6:00 pm   #88
  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YYZ/YUL/YOW
Programs: TK*G/E+ SPG (G)
Posts: 2,688
Which other airlines advertise on their IFE systems?

Gotta laugh at some of the arguments around here - "AC is providing free IFE and using ads to subsidize your airfare".

Sure, although if other airlines can do it ad-free while charging similar fares, I suspect it's not the fare that the passenger is paying that's the problem.

Either way, if this is what it's come down to, why not go the whole nine yards? Plaster the Y cabin with ads a la LCCs - overhead bins, seat back trays (both sides), bulkheads, catering carts, food trays.

Plenty of ways to generate revenue. So what if it degrades the passenger experience - AC is already being charitable to them by giving them a chance to fly despite their cheapness.
yulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 6:12 pm   #89
  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AA EXP, AC SE100K, OW E, *G, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 9,762
Since you wanted to know.....

This one is about ads on the physical interiors of cabins.

Why don't airlines advertise on the inside walls of a plane?

http://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlin...lls-of-a-plane

AND

This one explains why in-flights ads exist (which you now all know)

In-flight Advertising: Opportunity or Nuisance?

http://airlineguys.com/2012/02/09/in...y-or-nuisance/


Quote:

"For as long as we can remember advertising has been a critical part of the business of operating an airline. ....Lately, however, many other non-travel related business have been seeking ways of elevating their brands and getting the word out on what their companies have to offer. As to be expected, there are many opinions as to how advertisers and the traveling public feel about this.

Some think it is intrusive (“Can’t I just get on board and be left alone?”) others see it as a necessary way of doing business and increasing revenue. According to Ray Neidl, an analyst with Calyon Securities, if the ads are done in an appropriate manner, “it may be a long-term trend to raise additional revenues.” For the frequent flyer, many see onboard advertising as inappropriate, overreaching, and a nuisance. Some even call for advertising to be restricted to inflight magazines.

From an advertisers point of view, think about it: You have a captive audience (we were going to say an audience being held hostage however decided against that word) who may spend anywhere from 30 minutes on regional jet, to over 14 hours on some ultra long-haul flights. So, if your target audience is a captive audience, why not advertise to them? Therein lies prime revenue potential and advertisers are willing to pay lots of money to be able to advertise to an audience that has no other place to go."

Last edited by 24left; Aug 5, 15 at 6:35 pm Reason: Add info
24left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 15, 6:26 pm   #90
  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YYZ/YUL/YOW
Programs: TK*G/E+ SPG (G)
Posts: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Since you wanted to know.....


Why don't airlines advertise on the inside walls of a plane?

http://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlin...lls-of-a-plane

AND

In-flight Advertising: Opportunity or Nuisance?

http://airlineguys.com/2012/02/09/in...y-or-nuisance/
Can't open the links - what's the Coles notes version?

I flew UA longhaul a few months ago. They charged less than AC and their IFE selection was huge in comparison (higher quality too). Can't remember if they had ads though.

What about the website - AC should advertise on the online check in page too. And cover the check in booths (electronic and manned).
yulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top