Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
And nowhere on the ticket does it say what your in flight meal will be but you still have a right to be upset if it's terrible. In Y or J. Customers have a right to complain when the product doesn't meet their expectations, even if said expectations do not form part of the contract between passenger and carrier.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by jaysona
You're right, they are not free, the cost of the IFE content is partially offset by the advertisements and sponsor messages that are (supposed to be fully) played after the safety demonstration.

You pay "a lot" (relative term) of money to sit in that seat and be flown from point A to point B.

There's really quite a simple solution to this dilemma here, AC just needs to implement the usage payment feature. That way you can pay $5 less for your ticket and pay $20 (or whatever it ends up working out to) more for use of the entertainment system.

[jk - sort of]
Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of subsidizing the use of the IFE for everyone else that uses it!!

Come on Air Canada, implement pay-as-you-go (even for J eUps) for the IFE, I want my $5 cheaper ticket!!
[/jk - sort of]
Obviously AC IT is not that sophisticated. I don't believe they can actually differentiate between J vs. Y Pax at the IFE level, let alone those that paid $X to skip the commercials.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Obviously AC IT is not that sophisticated. I don't believe they can actually differentiate between J vs. Y Pax at the IFE level, let alone those that paid $X to skip the commercials.
They can definitely differentiate in the new system.

Or is the J menu shown in all the cabins?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Price to pay for free TV and movies?
MUST DEFEND AT ALL COSTS!!! CANNOT VIOLATE PROTOCOL!!!

People in Y should just be thankful AC lets them on the plane, how lucky they are, they get a seat!

😴
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
You're right, they are not free, the cost of the IFE content is partially offset by the advertisements and sponsor messages that are (supposed to be fully) played after the safety demonstration.

You pay "a lot" (relative term) of money to sit in that seat and be flown from point A to point B.

There's really quite a simple solution to this dilemma here, AC just needs to implement the usage payment feature. That way you can pay $5 less for your ticket and pay $20 (or whatever it ends up working out to) more for use of the entertainment system.

[jk - sort of]
Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of subsidizing the use of the IFE for everyone else that uses it!!

Come on Air Canada, implement pay-as-you-go (even for J eUps) for the IFE, I want my $5 cheaper ticket!!
[/jk - sort of]
I like this idea. It should also drive up ancillary revenue.

However, I can't think of any IFE system which would allow for this to work. Are you aware of any?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I like this idea. It should also drive up ancillary revenue.

However, I can't think of any IFE system which would allow for this to work. Are you aware of any?
All modern IFE (Panasonic, Rockwell Collins, Thales) have the option, it just needs to be implemented and enabled.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:44 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I am posting from AC1192 on a A319. My apologies if others have already posted about this development.

I poked around at the IFE and noticed some new content, so I decided to watch it.

Upon starting the show I was informed with an onscreen message that there would be 90 seconds of advertisements prior to my entertainment beginning. I attempted to fast forward, as usual. The touch screen was completely locked out. Absolutely no response, so no ability to even adjust the volume which is often cranked because of AC's crappy headphones.

Interesting development.
I had the same thing in J from YUL to LGA on Aug. 1st.

And when I came back yesterday evening from LGA to YUL, the video system was not working at all...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:53 pm

The above has nothing to do with AC IT or any other IT for that matter. It is aircraft level integration, and the IFE system can be configured very easily to differentiate between cabins. The options just need to be included and enabled.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
The above has nothing to do with AC IT or any other IT for that matter. It is aircraft level integration, and the IFE system can be configured very easily to differentiate between cabins. The options just need to be included and enabled.
Well the revenue component of recognizing who paid $x to skip ads and integrating that with the aircraft level system must have something to do with IT.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I noticed this too on Sunday night. I was sitting in J on A320.

I thought it was an error but I guess it is being implemented throughout. This really sucks.

I mean Youtube has a button that says "Skip ad" - AC should have it too.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2252 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Ha, I noticed that on 158 yesterday. I thought maybe it was just me.

It was nice while it lasted (no ads).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Full circle

Started with ads, then they removed them and added them back.

Back to the old routine, start the movie when you sit down. Get it queued up prior to the safety video and then return when its done.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I was just on long haul Lufthansa and noticed their IFE had only a brief airline logo appear then onto the movie/tv show. No commerical to fast forward through although that would not have helped. Tried to do that to speed through some boring bits and found the FF arrows did the same thing as Rewind did!?

On AC I always get my show started up prior to the saftely video but often seems to reboot to the home screen forcing me to "find" the show again before I can hit RESUME.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:05 pm

Well the revenue component of recognizing who paid $x to skip ads and integrating that with the aircraft level system must have something to do with IT.
You don't seem to understand how this would work. The payment for use of the IFE is not tied to the PNR. You would have to pay to use the IFE at the seat using the embedded seat back credit card reader.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:12 pm

Free is a relative term. When I'm sitting in the J cabin like I am now does that mean that I'm also getting "free" food and drinks? Maybe I should sit through some commercials for the catering company, or the vinyards?
If it meant better wine options, sign me up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.