Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Altitude Status and Baggage Fees on Reward Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Altitude

Hey wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Trying to check into a flight online for tomorrow morning and regardless of if I use my Aeroplan number or booking reference, it does not recognize my status. Under the field "Frequent Flyer Number" it just states "not applicable".

Anyways I can still select my seat but it does prompt me to pay $25CAD when I add my checked baggage.

Anyone ever experience this? Not sure if I should go ahead with this online or if I should just check in at the airport tomorrow morning.

Thanks ^
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by purism
Hey wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Trying to check into a flight online for tomorrow morning and regardless of if I use my Aeroplan number or booking reference, it does not recognize my status. Under the field "Frequent Flyer Number" it just states "not applicable".

Anyways I can still select my seat but it does prompt me to pay $25CAD when I add my checked baggage.

Anyone ever experience this? Not sure if I should go ahead with this online or if I should just check in at the airport tomorrow morning.

Thanks ^
Are you on your own pts? If not, call in.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If someone else used their miles, that is going to happen.

Select 0 bags, and just bring your Altitude card to the counter.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Are you on your own pts? If not, call in.
Yes, my own points.

Even if I use the check-in tool without the booking ref. and instead use name + aeroplan number it still does not recognize me and still is charging for bags.

Thx for the response though.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If someone else used their miles, that is going to happen.

Select 0 bags, and just bring your Altitude card to the counter.
Thanks for the reply, do they let you still add bags at the counter even if you pick 0 with the online tool?

P.s. Nice meeting you back in Ottawa a little while back
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
[QUOTE=purism;25198856]Thanks for the reply, do they let you still add bags at the counter even if you pick 0 with the online tool?

Yes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Wpgjetse;25198872]
Thanks for the reply, do they let you still add bags at the counter even if you pick 0 with the online tool?

Yes.
Thanks.

Went ahead and did it as suggested with 0 bags and the emailed boarding pass now shows the appropriate status. Doesn't make much sense to me, but guess I'll add on the bag tomorrow (hopefully without any issues)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
My experience over the last few months has got better. First time I used my mums points for a Toronto trip the people in YYT didn't know how to over-ride, was waiting 5 minutes whilst they figured it out.

More recently, all over the place they're like oh it's an easy over-ride.

I do wish the system wasn't so antiquated that there is no work around to actually put ones status on the boarding pass. But there are bigger IT glitches, in fact the whole system to complain about before that so I guess it's kinda irrelevant.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: *G
This seems to be AC/AE's latest glitch. The system always used to recognize my status when I used my own miles for a reward booking, but on the most recent occasion, it wanted to charge me for bags at OLCI even though the status prints on the BP. Just declare 0 bags and fix it at the airport. The agent will need your AE number to override the system.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moorw003
My experience over the last few months has got better. First time I used my mums points for a Toronto trip the people in YYT didn't know how to over-ride, was waiting 5 minutes whilst they figured it out.

I do wish the system wasn't so antiquated that there is no work around to actually put ones status on the boarding pass. But there are bigger IT glitches, in fact the whole system to complain about before that so I guess it's kinda irrelevant.
Good to know, hopefully smooth sailing tomorrow. Although I bet the YYT weather will be the bigger issue.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by moorw003

Flying on someone else's miles causes all sorts of different issues, some of which can be overridden and some cannot. Your BP will never show your status, so you would need to show your card to get boarding priority and baggage allowance, but you cannot get priority baggage - as I have said many times, that privilege is governed by the baggage tag bar code and not a priority tag. And they really do take those tags off even if an agent puts one on.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS
Quote:
Good to know, hopefully smooth sailing tomorrow. Although I bet the YYT weather will be the bigger issue.
YYT weather is indeed the main issue. Enjoy the trip to YUL
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
YYT weather is indeed the main issue. Enjoy the trip to YUL
Was trying to get to YYZ but guess didn't matter at the end as the airport is at a standstill again. Can't get out till Monday (after my return) lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.