Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Big airlines can't do good phone service?

Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

Phoned British Airways today to do seat selection, as their website wasn't recognising my AA status.

As a total nobody, with no BA status or even a BA FF number, I was on the phone with an agent inside five minutes. When she realized she couldn't answer my question, she had me escalated to an exec level agent in five minutes more.

This turned out to be a really weird IT glitch, so the BA agent asked for my phone number so she could call me back once she'd resolved my issue.

Twelve minutes later, she phoned back with not only my issue resolved, but an explanation of where BA's system had gone wrong, as well as concrete steps she'd taken towards getting it fixed moving forwards.

All of this took less than thirty minutes, and began with a recorded message saying "we apologise if our response is slower than usual, as we are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment".

Meanwhile, I call aeroplan and the phone just rings and rings...

Tell me again about the part where good customer phone service is difficult for large, multinational airlines?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Phoned British Airways today to do seat selection, as their website wasn't recognising my AA status.

As a total nobody, with no BA status or even a BA FF number, I was on the phone with an agent inside five minutes. When she realized she couldn't answer my question, she had me escalated to an exec level agent in five minutes more.

This turned out to be a really weird IT glitch, so the BA agent asked for my phone number so she could call me back once she'd resolved my issue.

Twelve minutes later, she phoned back with not only my issue resolved, but an explanation of where BA's system had gone wrong, as well as concrete steps she'd taken towards getting it fixed moving forwards.

All of this took less than thirty minutes, and began with a recorded message saying "we apologise if our response is slower than usual, as we are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment".

Tell me again about the part where good customer phone service is difficult for large, multinational airlines?
I realize we're on the AC board - but I wanted to say I spoke with BA twice 2 nights ago and they were extremely proactive at answering my questions (such as - - why are the taxes on my reward ticket 100 lower than my wife who is trying to book the exact same itinerary) - - and then to make a flight switch immediately after ticketing .

Both calls- answered so fast I was not ready for them with my info.

I just avoid ever calling Aeroplan - it is a complete and utter disaster. And don't get me started on how ridiculous it is to try to redeem for flights. . . (OK- I will get started - - I am trying to get 1 return seat YYZ-NYC (any airport) next June on June 16 with a return of June 20 - - There are almost no seats available at all on any flight. I am trying to redeem on LX (or others) to go ZRH-OSL in December and really all of the various routings are available in any class on all flights on all days . . . . )
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Aeroplan isn't an airline. AC's hold times are under 5 minutes.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That hasn't ever been my experience, but I'm not SE.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I recently had great experiences with NZ as well. Initial hold times were virtually nil and the agents were generally friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.

Fair comment that Aeroplan isn't an airline itself, but it's somewhat unique in that AC has spun it off, and it's still virtually an extension of AC since they use AC's inventory and AC's *A agreements. So I think it's fair to lump it in with airlines.

That hasn't ever been my experience, but I'm not SE.
This is an important distinction. My friends and family who have no status tell horror stories of waiting forever on the phone with AC just to speak to an agent, whereas calls to the SE line are picked up virtually right away.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
That's not my experience with BA. I routinely had wait times over 30 minutes just to make Avios bookings. Many people used to just call the Singapore or Hong Kong office instead to bypass the wait times. Having said that I think things have improved recently on BA in my last few experiences. I have no BA status.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adam.smith
This is an important distinction. My friends and family who have no status tell horror stories of waiting forever on the phone with AC just to speak to an agent, whereas calls to the SE line are picked up virtually right away.
Are these recent stories? I know they improved things.

I remember a 45 minute wait a few years ago (pre-status), but I just kept my phone on speaker while I packed and planned for my trip.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Are these recent stories? I know they improved things.

I remember a 45 minute wait a few years ago (pre-status), but I just kept my phone on speaker while I packed and planned for my trip.
I use the speakerphone method as well; my 'high score' this year, before I hit status, was two and a half hours.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:46 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
AE is not an airline but AE is as independent from AC as Rouge is...Such a large proportion of inter-company transactions between these two preclude if, marketing bs notwithstanding.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
In May or something, I waited on BA for 30 mins before giving up.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:56 pm

... a recorded message saying "we apologise if our response is slower than usual, as we are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment".
The guy that has a copyright of this phrase is making a ton, probably more than the founder of Twitter. Do I need to pay him to use it on my answering machine.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Aeroplan isn't an airline.
There are a lot of things Aeroplan isn't. An airline is only one of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.