Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Bryan Adams seeks answers from Air Canada after his guitar is marred

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.680news.com/2015/07/27/cu...tar-is-marred/

In the Summer of 69, Canadian rock icon Byran Adams declared that he got his first real six-string and played it till his “fingers bled.”

In the summer of 2015, it was likely his eyes that were bleeding after he popped open his guitar case following an Air Canada flight from Toronto to Detroit to find his trusty guitar scrawled on with black marker.

On Saturday, Adams tweeted out a photo of the new, unwanted adornments, asking someone from the airline to contact him about the “pen damage done to my guitar.”
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:50 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Crazy that he doesn't just buy a seat for his instrument
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ABG
+100!!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'm actually impressed with how calm his tweet was! If that was me I probably would have had a few additional choice words.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by ABG
Yeah, virtually every touring guitarist travels with four or five guitars.

Until about a year ago, Tegan and Sara (and their band) were flying with something like 45 road cases between 12 people.

Plus, we're not talking about a careless baggage handler dropping something, somebody opened up the case and vandalized the contents.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Reading the follow-up tweets in that article, it still amazes me that some people think that if you're well off, it should matter less. I refer to the comment "but you should be able to afford another, no?" There are simply so many things wrong with that line of reasoning.

Another thought: funny how our default method of interaction with the airlines is trending towards social media rather than remaining private via the existing channels. It could be that some people crave attention or they feel that emails/phone calls don't work to their satisfaction, and going public is the best way to gain the timely attention of Customer Service. I'm inclined to lean towards the latter.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:10 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Yeah, virtually every touring guitarist travels with four or five guitars.

Until about a year ago, Tegan and Sara (and their band) were flying with something like 45 road cases between 12 people.

Plus, we're not talking about a careless baggage handler dropping something, somebody opened up the case and vandalized the contents.
Don't even try, the apologist response will change to 'Why doesn't he buy the whole J cabin/rent a jet for his guitars/etc., he's Brian Adams!'

But in the real world, as you say, someone at AC willfully vandalized personal property. No big deal I guess...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:57 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Don't even try, the apologist response will change to 'Why doesn't he buy the whole J cabin/rent a jet for his guitars/etc., he's Brian Adams!'
It really isn't abnormal for professional musicians of a certain caliber to buy a seat for their instrument. I've done it for wedding band level people to top flight classical performers, so i'm surprised someone like Brian Adams doesn't just do it automatically. I'm sure jlisi984 would back this up. I'm not up to date on his tour schd so i really don't know how this compares to tegan and sara (whoever they are). Since it was a trans-border flight CSB staff would also have had access to the baggage I assume. Eitherway, I hope Calin calls and askes Brian to "please forgive me"

Last edited by ABG; Jul 28, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Bryan Adams still plays? Another movie love song?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
I'm sure jlisi984 would back this up.
Yeah, but you really need a pod seat for a piano.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ABG
It really isn't abnormal for professional musicians of a certain caliber to buy a seat for their instrument. I've done it for wedding band level people to top flight classical performers, so i'm surprised someone like Brian Adams doesn't just do it automatically. I'm sure jlisi984 would back this up. I'm not up to date on his tour schd so i really don't know how this compares to tegan and sara (whoever they are). Since it was a trans-border flight TSA staff would also have had access to the baggage I assume. Eitherway, I hope Calin calls and askes Brian to "please forgive me"
I understand that Bryan Adams can buy a seat for his guitar but unlikely that he would have just one guitar. He should not have too. And how does a guitar being vandalized become his fault. This kind of reasoning to whitewash poor service is amazing.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by ABG
It really isn't abnormal for professional musicians of a certain caliber to buy a seat for their instrument. I've done it for wedding band level people to top flight classical performers, so i'm surprised someone like Brian Adams doesn't just do it automatically.
Yeah, a classical violinist flying with a million-dollar Stradivarius isn't the same thing at all; the kind of instruments we're talking about here are more in the $2,000-20,000 range, and they're in heavy-duty flight cases that are meant to stand up to roadies thumping them in and out of trucks. Any performer at half of Adams' caliber is going to be flying SE mileage or more in a year, and the cases are designed with that in mind.

Adams isn't complaining about accidental damage, though; someone opened his luggage and vandalized it.

So, if you go on vacation, and someone opens your luggage and spray-paints all your suits, is it your fault for not buying an extra seat for your clothes?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Can't we all just agree that its the passengers fault? I'm sure someone from (or for) Air Canada will soon provide proof why it cannot possibly be the airline's fault.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:10 pm
ABG

I have to remember to stop posting in this forum..... I couldn't care a less about the blame, all I said was I'm surprised he does not purchase a seat for his guitar, like many artists do.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by ABG
...I said was I'm surprised he does not purchase a seat for his guitar, like many artists do.
Like many classical musicians do, particularly those who who play smaller instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.