Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Bryan Adams seeks answers from Air Canada after his guitar is marred

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bryan Adams seeks answers from Air Canada after his guitar is marred

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Reading the follow-up tweets in that article, it still amazes me that some people think that if you're well off, it should matter less. I refer to the comment "but you should be able to afford another, no?" There are simply so many things wrong with that line of reasoning.

Another thought: funny how our default method of interaction with the airlines is trending towards social media rather than remaining private via the existing channels. It could be that some people crave attention or they feel that emails/phone calls don't work to their satisfaction, and going public is the best way to gain the timely attention of Customer Service. I'm inclined to lean towards the latter.
There unfortunately do appear to be a lot of the former as well...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Not blaming the musician here, it sounds like this was a total cluster F, but why wouldn't you just book it with AC? Unless booking a really complex itinerary (which this wasn't) why bother going to a travel agency? Call AC, tell them you want whatever flight, you've got a cello and to pay for the seat then reserve them. Then if they screw up, it's 100% on them.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Not blaming the musician here, it sounds like this was a total cluster F, but why wouldn't you just book it with AC? Unless booking a really complex itinerary (which this wasn't) why bother going to a travel agency? Call AC, tell them you want whatever flight, you've got a cello and to pay for the seat then reserve them. Then if they screw up, it's 100% on them.
commissionable/net fares were available/requirement from a company/travel arranged by a company?
Sometimes AC's web site/agents will not give you all the flight options either (especially on international routings that are very simple.)
The web site also has a tendency to minimise segments, which is not always desired if trying to get the lowest price.
(i.e. I have seen a UA fare SFO-IAH-EWR-PAR-FRA-DEL (destination)-FRA-LON-CHI-EWR-SFO that had availability in K class on all UA/LH sectors. It did not show up on UA.com where the cheapest available fare was a L fare SFO-FRA-DEL v.v.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jul 28, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:04 pm

I've had to buy stuff via our corporate travel agent, and MAYBE that's the case here, but then I sure hope she's complained to them as well.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Neither; they close both accounts and take away all the points retroactively.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...58390459673484

They really did...unreal.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:13 pm

I was amazed at that one too ken98230, my follow up question, was what do "people of size" get? If they book 2 tickets, that's technically still just 1 person, do they get double miles?

The DL policy on that makes no sense, also, I didn't read where they contacted him and told him to stop, or that it wasn't ok, so instead they just wipe out his account? Bogus.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I'm always shocked that those VFR or summer travellers get away with carrying on their guitars without paying for an extra seat.

I remember speaking with a cellist once who said "I don't like the 767 because my cello doesn't fit in the overhead bin" (he was buying a separate seat anyways but wanted it to be free then?! )

I understand if Bryan Adams has 4-5 guitars he can't buy seats for all of them. But if he's traveling with that many instruments it's probably a tour in which case there's a tour truck, bus, or RV. Otherwise I don't see why he'd travel with more than 2 guitars really...

In the classical world, people rarely (read: never) check their instruments except when on tour with major orchestras which have cargo shipping crates set up. Complicates things for cellists the most, double basses too (though they don't really travel so much alone and their instruments are both less delicate and less valuable). While I have other challenges as a pianist (finding a piano, playing on bad pianos and adjusting to them chief among them) I'm happy I don't have to deal with the headache of taking my instrument with me.

I don't understand why they opened his guitar (and why the case wasn't locked!) but certainly any marker or grease pencil can be washed off without any damage. Stupid? Yes! But huge problem? He should take it as a lesson.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by jlisi984
II understand if Bryan Adams has 4-5 guitars he can't buy seats for all of them. But if he's traveling with that many instruments it's probably a tour in which case there's a tour truck, bus, or RV. Otherwise I don't see why he'd travel with more than 2 guitars really...
Well before you hit Adams' level, you end up with a lot of "fly dates". For example, you might play a show in Vancouver on Friday night, then fly early to make your 4PM slot at a festival in Saskatoon the next day. Or, also very common, you're not on tour but you've got to fly the whole band and crew to Montreal to play two shows and then come home.

In this kind of situation, there's no way of getting a tour bus or a truck from one show to the next in time, so the artists and crew fly with only the gear that can't be rented locally. For rock bands, this is usually guitars, laptops and not a lot else; you can rent the same Rhodes stage piano anywhere, but guitars are generally a pretty personal thing.

As for flying with 4-5 guitars, you'll have two or three electrics, an acoustic or two and maybe a twelve-string, and that's if you're just a middle-of-the-road guitarist. Next time you see a bigger show, watch as the roadies hand the guitarist a new instrument after each song; that's so they can check over and re-tune one while the other is being played, which is why you rarely hear a (good) band stop in the middle a show while they try to find B flat.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Reading the follow-up tweets in that article, it still amazes me that some people think that if you're well off, it should matter less.

Another thought: funny how our default method of interaction with the airlines is trending towards social media rather than remaining private via the existing channels.
Think about that.

I don't think my post or yours will go You-Tube but Adam's tweet did.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jul 29, 2015 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
but the employees.
Ultimately its the employees, right. The question remains who's?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jlisi984
I don't understand why they opened his guitar (and why the case wasn't locked!) but certainly any marker or grease pencil can be washed off without any damage. Stupid? Yes! But huge problem? He should take it as a lesson.
You must be new to flying.

I don't understand why they opened his guitar (and why the case wasn't locked!)
TSA.

any marker or grease pencil can be washed off
They are called "permanent markers" for a reason.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Plus, we're not talking about a careless baggage handler dropping something, somebody opened up the case and vandalized the contents.
for some people who love AC this seems to be acceptable.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by KenHamer
You must be new to flying.

TSA.

They are called "permanent markers" for a reason.
TSA doesn't open baggage from YYZ to Detroit without connections.

And trust me no marker is permanent on a solid surface. (on fabric that's a different story!)

Last edited by jlisi984; Jul 30, 2015 at 1:08 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
for some people who love AC this seems to be acceptable.
Perhaps that balances out those who immediately jump all over one of the groups who have handled the item, without reviewing the facts.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: FT
anyone know what the notations mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.