Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Rudest airline staff I've ever encountered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rudest airline staff I've ever encountered

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

2) The FA informs the captain, which...well if it ever gets to this point, he or she is the police (peace officer) on board. He or she has the right to escalate up the food chain in the use of force wheel.
I hope you know what the use of force wheel is; that's a scary suggestion
Putting all of these aside, my take on it is that there are a lot of people trying to sleep. Be nice to thy neighbors
Agreed

Under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Aeronautics Act, illegal behaviour includes:

harassment,
verbal abuse,
physical assault,
sexual offences,
intimidating behaviour,
drunk or disorderly conduct,
ignoring smoking regulations,
drinking personal alcoholic beverages,
refusing to follow crew instructions, and
endangering the aircraft's safety.

Take a read here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/air-passeng...engers-579.htm
I'd suggest using a primary source instead of a secondary source: it might be worth it to read the actual text of the Criminal Code and Aeronautics Act
The law spells out what one can and cannot do. In this case, the OP is breaking the law. A judge would throw it out of court (presumably), but does the OP want the headache?
Except peace officers don't get to press charges in Canada. The Crown does that. Peace officers arrest if they believe that there is a reason to press charges, but they don't actually get to do that. No Crown Attorney worth his/her salt would touch this, so, at best, you get detained by a captain who ends up getting retrained.

What about if the OP ends up on a no fly list? Is it worth it? I don't know, it's his/her choice, but surely, a passenger should follow orders from a flight crew. If they choose not to, they're breaking the law. How close they want to skirt towards it...well, that's up to them
The no-fly list is a joke. This is an article you could read if you want to read some criticisms made against the Canadian list.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
go_around wrote:
Not sure it's really my mistake that someone forgot to put signs about bags at the transit staircase though, and AC didn't announce it on board. This may well be standard procedure in North America, but I've never seen it in any of the 37 countries I've flown to. If it's not the international norm, and it doesn't seem to be, it should be made crystal clear to passengers.
Honestly after reading this text from you, I have a hard time taking you seriously.
You are HKG-based.
In which country is HKG located in?
Yes, in China (PRC)!

What is the Chinese norm for baggage reclaim regarding customs checks?
In most cases the bag must be recollected at the first port of entry in China if connecting to a domestic flight. The bags need to be rechecked at a special transfer counter.
There are exceptions from this rule regarding special through flights and Special Administrative Regions.

I am quoting a page from airchina.com:

If I am connecting flights on Air China, do I need to pick up my luggage and re-check it?
Passengers departing from domestic cities who connect through Beijing to domestic/international/regional flights are not required to pick-up their baggage in Beijing if they have checked their baggage through to the destination. This applies on routes such as SHE-PEK-CAN or SHE-PEK-SFO.
Passengers departing from overseas/regional cities who connect through Beijing to international/regional flights are not required to pick-up their baggage in Beijing if they have checked their baggage through to the destination. This applies on routes such as ICN-PEK-ARN or FRA-PEK-HKG.
Passengers departing from overseas/regional cities who connect through Beijing to domestic flights are required to pick-up their baggage and have it inspected at Customs. This applies to routes such as JFK-PEK-HET.
Thus, Canada is applying similar rules like the country of your home base (HKG).

This may well be standard procedure in North America, but I've never seen it in any of the 37 countries I've flown to.
Essentially you are telling us that you have NEVER flown to China before. (which is bs, because you are based in China)

Regarding you window shade problem:

It was about 10am local time after the night segment of the flight, and I wanted to do some work. I was at a window seat in the economy cabin.
I do not know when you have exactly taking the flight.
When checking the schedule, I see that NH6 departs from HND at 5.40pm Japan time.
NH6 arrives at YYZ at 4.45pm Toronto time. However, there is a 11 hour time difference between Tokyo and Toronto. Actually NH6 lands in YYZ 5.45am Tokyo time.
For those passengers, who were still on Tokyo time (which should be the majority of the people), you created a big nuisance to your fellow passengers, because it was in the middle of the night for most passengers. The AC flight attendant was right to ask you to close it.

If you really want to look outside, my recommendation is to open the shade by 1/4 and put a blanked around you neck, which you attach to the shade. The blanket will block out most the light.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 19, 2015 at 3:24 pm Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn

Essentially you are telling us that you have NEVER flown to China before. (which is bs, because you are based in China)
I've lived in India and travelled there for years. Still don't have a clue how India handles this, because I've never transited there. I know AI used to do BOM-DEL-FRA-DEL-BOM exclusively through international terminals - I don't think they cleared customs at DEL.

Granted, as an Indian, I'm far more likely to visit other parts of India than most HKG residents (particularly expats) are likely to transit through China.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Hi go around. You are going nowhere with complaining to AC or on this forum. Don't fly any NA airlines in the future. Our "service standards" are simply put barbaric. On the window issue, other than keeping the blinds open for the take off and landing at the night time FA can only ask you but not demand/instruct you. As a claustrophobic you are perfectly fine to refuse any demand to keep it closed at daytime. It can be annoying to other passengers, morning light/sun can be almost blinding at certain angles but too bad, you have to put yourself first sometimes.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew
I hope you know what the use of force wheel is; that's a scary suggestion
Yep. Obviously a captain has limited use of force options than say, a cop on the ground, but a captain has the right to start using handcuffs and to restrain the OP. If a captain goes too far, say restraining the OP if he was being compliant, than obviously criminal charges could be pressed against the captain. At the end of the day though, by not doing what the FA asked, the OP has broken the law. For those of you who say, yeah, you'll be fine, don't worry....I dare you, try that on a plane and let us know

Originally Posted by pewpew

The no-fly list is a joke. This is an article you could read if you want to read some criticisms made against the Canadian list.
Good to know. However, (at this point I don't think the OP would want to fly AC anyways), AC corporate security can still ban the guy from flying AC.

At the end of the day, IMO, it's a window shade. If what I'm doing on board is bothering other people that badly (sleep is something most of us do), then I'll stop the offending behavior. It would be selfish.

----

Also, to the poster who mentioned the FA culture difference, to that I say @:-). Absolutely right. Perhaps the attitude of the NA FA's is something the OP is not used to.

I'm not insinuating anything, but that REALLY shocks me that an AC FA would have that attitude.

Most of us fly a LOT on AC, and how often are (stories about experiences with FA's)* like this posted here? - rarely Yes, we've all had FA's who are indifferent, but this - behavior that is exhibited by the OP is rare. That isn't the AC norm at all.

* = Edit as per below

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jul 19, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I'm not insinuating anything, but that REALLY shocks me that an AC FA would have that attitude.

Most of us fly a LOT on AC, and how often are stories like this posted here? - rarely Yes, we've all had FA's who are indifferent, but this - behavior that is exhibited by the OP is rare. That isn't the AC norm at all.
How often do we hear stories on FT less-than-pleasant experiences with FAs or GAs? All. The. Time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...erience-y.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24995496
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24995009

I could go on
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
How often do we hear stories on FT less-than-pleasant experiences with FAs or GAs? All. The. Time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...erience-y.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24995496
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24995009

I could go on
Ah, in my head, I was thinking about experiences with FA's (especially in J that's rare). We all hate GA's (Mrs. SAP included), that's a universal truth here on this board. But thanks for the correction

First link = indifferent staff, not like the OP's experience. And plus, that's in Y
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Ah, in my head, I was thinking about experiences with FA's (especially in J that's rare). We all hate GA's (Mrs. SAP included), that's a universal truth here on this board. But thanks for the correction

First link = indifferent staff, not like the OP's experience. And plus, that's in Y
The OP talks about FAs and ground staff. The whole raison d'être of FT is so we can discuss this kind of stuff. And hopefully AC management takes note and tries to improve...

The OP in this thread was also in Y by the sounds of it.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The open shade/close shade issue has been re-hashed in this forum umpteen times.
I agree with OP, and my standard operating procedure is to place a sticky on the
window asking that it not be lowered even if I am asleep.

Open/shut - I think we all have to realize that there are strong views on either side,
and this will never be resolved.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by go_around
P.S. In the interests of balance, I have to say that I found the Y seat on AC 777 and 767 to be the most comfortable long haul seat I've used - by a long way. Which is hardly a small detail!
Don't worry, those seats are on the way out with the upcoming refurbishments. By mid 2016, every AC Y seat will be the equal of the worst long haul seats in the industry (if you fly the 77P or the 787, they already are).
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The open shade/close shade issue has been re-hashed in this forum umpteen times.
I agree with OP, and my standard operating procedure is to place a sticky on the
window asking that it not be lowered even if I am asleep.

Open/shut - I think we all have to realize that there are strong views on either side,
and this will never be resolved.
The open/close shade issue and Y/C seat recline issue have been contentious for as long as I've been flying. As a Crew Member (on duty) I have no personal stake in the shade status, and the desire to close it is usually at the request of another Customer. Having said that, during my announcements I propose, "at an opportune time following the meal service on this night sector, may we recommend closing your window shades to maximize your rest time with us this evening".... This is very standard protocol for virtually every airline I've set foot on.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
The open/close shade issue and Y/C seat recline issue have been contentious for as long as I've been flying. As a Crew Member (on duty) I have no personal stake in the shade status, and the request to close it is usually at the request of another Customer. Having said that, during my announcements I say, "at an opportune time following the meal service on this night sector, may we recommend closing your window shades to maximize your rest time with us this evening".... This is very standard protocol for virtually every airline I've set foot on.
Thanks for chiming in - as IluvSQ also pointed out, it's been "re-hashed in this forum umpteen times".

Personally, I like the shades open in daylight (for jet lag reasons), but I have long realized that the war has been won - they stay down. I do, however, object when an FA reaches across and puts my shade down without so much as a "do you mind"(reaching over and using a magazine to do it seems to be the usual method). It's happened more than once, and I was also told on a SYD-YVR flight to put the shade down "as it will be light all the flight". I had to point out that it was about to get dark and that it would be long after we arrived before the sun came up.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I feel for the OP about a ...... experience. Especially on a long flight.

Reported it to AC.

As for the shades, I think it's unfortunate but I think it should stay closed (imho).

At 10AM local time, there is still more than 6h of flight left.

Maybe even close to 8h.

With 12-13h of time difference, most will sleep very late, and I Would not be surprised if anyone barely got shut eye at that point.

When I did the route, I slept a few hours past the meal time (maybe 6-7am local time) and I think I was one of the first to fall asleep. I would have been furious if I had been woken up 3 hours later!

Sleeping properly on YYZ-HND/NRT is the key to not be wrecked by jet lag on arrival. Besides, if 1 pax wants like, but 100 others don't, well, you know.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by fin 645
Thanks for chiming in - as IluvSQ also pointed out, it's been "re-hashed in this forum umpteen times".

Personally, I like the shades open in daylight (for jet lag reasons), but I have long realized that the war has been won - they stay down. I do, however, object when an FA reaches across and puts my shade down without so much as a "do you mind"(reaching over and using a magazine to do it seems to be the usual method). It's happened more than once, and I was also told on a SYD-YVR flight to put the shade down "as it will be light all the flight". I had to point out that it was about to get dark and that it would be long after we arrived before the sun came up.
There are occasions when I have reached over and closed a window shade when blazing sun is streaming in, and the Customer in question is fast asleep. Similarly, I will turn off an overhead reading light in J/C if a Customer appears to be down for the count. On SQ, CX & BR - these would be considered "soft-touch" points.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There are occasions when I have reached over and closed a window shade when blazing sun is streaming in, and the Customer in question is fast asleep. Similarly, I will turn off an overhead reading light in J/C if a Customer appears to be down for the count. On SQ, CX & BR - these would be considered "soft-touch" points.
"Nice touch" points to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.