Switching seats during a flight

Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yvr76
Of course the baby and wife could have been in the flight from the start, but both these examples are illustrative that swaps should not be allowed, and devalue the J cabin for all the customers sitting in it (regardless of how they got there). I appreciate SDs who don't allow this. Does AC have an official policy on this?
Yes, No swapping. You can change seats at the start of the flight only.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Yes, No swapping. You can change seats at the start of the flight only.
If I witnessed a seat swap mid-flight that was done quietly, I wouldn't say anything, but if it was done in a disturbing fashion I'd talk to the SD.

This is something that if enough people try or abuse, then AC may just come down hard and say "no seat swaps at all, even at the start of a flight".
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yvr76
Does AC have an official policy on this?
They do actually. One switch, quietly and discreetly during boarding or shortly after take-off. I'm going to wager this is consistent with the policy of most other airlines.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
They do actually. One switch, quietly and discreetly during boarding or shortly after take-off. I'm going to wager this is consistent with the policy of most other airlines.
^ sounds fair and generous. Also should be respected. Hopefully at discretion of SD (if there's a mother and infant in Y hopefully infant stays in Y!)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Thanks. Seems altogether reasonable too.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: *G
On the few occasions that I have been in J and my SO in Y, I have mentioned it to the SD (along with the seat number) and a few little treats have found their way back.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
I travel a lot for work and when we travel as a family have always given the seat to my husband (who rarely travels) and sat with my girls. Once we got an extra upgrade so one daughter flew J with dad one way, the other return.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by zorn
Immanuel Kant has the answer for you:

What you are proposing, therefore, is that all 42 J passengers make arrangements at the beginning of the flight to switch places with some random Y passenger at some random point in the flight.

If it's a good idea for you, surely it's a good idea for all.

If it's not a good idea for all to switch, then perhaps it isn't a good idea for anyone to switch.
I never thought I would see the Categorical Imperative invoked in a FT argument. However, isn't the very existance of seperate J and Y classes a utilitarian construct and not a Kantian universalist one? Surely if some passengers should be seated comfortably, all passengers should be equally comfortable.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Most of my travel is solo, but occasionally I have a companion. Typically, we are usually both booked in J, but there have been times when I've had a J seat, and my companion is in Y and listed for an upgrade.

When the upgrade hasn't come through, I've given my companion the J seat, let the SD know, and elected to sit in Y. That's my choice of course, but I have never received any recognition as an SEMM sitting in the Y cabin. Fortunately, I don't expect any, so I've never been disappointed.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Just to be clear, I am booked in paid J as it is a business trip. After the booking, we decided that the family join so booked 3 seats in Y through AP. We decided to have me fly J to LHR so I can prep and rest for a busy week of presentations/meetings, and then have my wife sit in J for the entire flight home. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr2011
Just to be clear, I am booked in paid J as it is a business trip. After the booking, we decided that the family join so booked 3 seats in Y through AP. We decided to have me fly J to LHR so I can prep and rest for a busy week of presentations/meetings, and then have my wife sit in J for the entire flight home. Thanks for the suggestions!
You are technically stealing from your employer who is paying YOU to fly J and be in good shape upon your return also.

If my employees did this I might have to have a serious chat with them and they would be cut off from J class henceforth.

Unless you are self employed of course. In which case CRA would have an issue with your filing a false expense claim.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Allvest
You are technically stealing from your employer who is paying YOU to fly J and be in good shape upon your return also.
Not necessarily... it might just be a perk as (non-taxable) compensation for the fact that he's being required to travel. We don't know why his employer paid for him to fly back in J.

If my employees did this I might have to have a serious chat with them and they would be cut off from J class henceforth.
If one of my employees was performing poorly at his job as a result of not using the J seat I paid for, I would talk to them about their job performance. But if it didn't directly affect his job performance I wouldn't object; after all, having a happy family tends to make an employee happy, which tends to make said employee more productive.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by Allvest

Unless you are self employed of course. In which case CRA would have an issue with your filing a false expense claim.
Reading this reminds me how lucky I am to work where I do and not for someone like the above poster.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Reading this reminds me how lucky I am to work where I do and not for someone like the above poster.
I sure hope my boss never finds out about the time I bought a muffin with breakfast, then decided I didn't want it anymore and gave it to a homeless guy. The horror!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I sure hope my boss never finds out about the time I bought a muffin with breakfast, then decided I didn't want it anymore and gave it to a homeless guy. The horror!
Don't laugh. Tax agencies are actually nickling and diming like this now.

Sorry, but as employer I pay for J I expect the employee to fly J. If a business purchases a funky MacBook they don't expect your kid to take it to school either, and a MacBook is a bit cheaper than a J fare.

I am pretty lax and hands off but stealing J airfare goes beyond petty amounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.