Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred seats

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Preferred seats

Based on the seat maps at OLCI Air Canada rarely seems to be selling all the preferred seats. On a full flight this must mean some people who didn't pay for the seats get put in them. Any idea how AC manages this?

if you check in last minute or are nice to the lounge dragon can they move you into those seats once the flight closes? I'm just trying to figure out how I can end up being one of the lucky people who are moved into those seats.

I'm on a Tango ticket this next flight so sadly my E50K status doesn't give the choice (without paying)
Old May 27, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I just noticed this morning with OLCI that I wasn't charged for an exit row. This was an Award seat that showed the usual charge when I tried to change seats online prior to check-in. I didn't bother to call to have the fee waived because it's a short flight, so I was surprised to see the seat available at check-in. You could always ask at the airport check-in desk.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Anyone know if you can get a preferred seat fee refund if you cancel your ticket? I looked in the terms and it doesn't say you can, but doesn't say you can't either.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:15 am

You won't get them for free unless you play chicken and don't select a seat in advance, and only check in once all the regular Y seats are taken. The preferred seats can be selected automatically for free by those who still need a seat when checking in (with Y full) - the agents don't do that work manually. The downside is you may get 33E if regular Y seats are left when you finally check in.

That's the only way to do it. No one gets "moved" to those seats once they have a regular Y seat selected in their name.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: *G
Based on my recent experience, the unbooked preferred seats (usually middle seats) are allocated to passengers who did not prebook seats, did not do OLCI and showed up at the airport to check in. On my last 3 A320 flights, it always involved a family with infants or babies, who would start wanting people to move so they could sit together. While most people will not move, on 2 occasions (somewhat in self defense), someone ended up moving from an aisle to a middle seat after the fact.

It is my opinion that AC has created a problem here that it needs to solve. It might be tough to tell such passengers that the only seats left need a fee to be paid - but not much different to telling someone that their carry-on is oversize or weight and needs to be checked for a fee.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: *$ Green
I can weigh in with an experience of my own.

A320, full Y, we already had seats (in Y).

Check in at like T-12 (had checked in before), and saw 2 preferred seats (middle and window) open. We moved from regular Y to preffered Y, no cost. Just had to re-check in.

Some other seats in non-preferred Y were open (not a lot, but still some), yet preferred Y was open for free.

We have no status.

Maybe check in every few hours at OLCI and see if anything pops up?
Old May 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
A320, full Y, we already had seats (in Y).

Check in at like T-12 (had checked in before), and saw 2 preferred seats (middle and window) open. We moved from regular Y to preffered Y, no cost. Just had to re-check in.

Some other seats in non-preferred Y were open (not a lot, but still some), yet preferred Y was open for free.

We have no status.

Maybe check in every few hours at OLCI and see if anything pops up?
On a full-Y ticket, of course you have full access to preferred seating. Its part of the published benefit of that fare.

The question being posed is largely of access to preferred seats in circumstances when someone is travelling on a "bottom feeder" fare which may not even allow for the purchase of preferred seating or even assigned seating for that matter.

That's the only way to do it. No one gets "moved" to those seats once they have a regular Y seat selected in their name.
Indeed. I understand many AC FAs treat the section as though they treat the business class cabin -- as an area that is off-limits to those who have not acquired a boarding pass with the relevant seat assignment. Unlike in the past, where after the door closed, it was basically a free-for-all to move to un-used rows within one's class of service.

Last edited by pitz; May 27, 2015 at 1:51 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pitz
On a full-Y ticket, of course you have full access to preferred seating. Its part of the published benefit of that fare.
Only for Altitude members. When the expanded preferred seats rolled out last year, Latitude tickets for non-status pax are no longer entitled to preferred seats.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Only for Altitude members. When the expanded preferred seats rolled out last year, Latitude tickets for non-status pax are no longer entitled to preferred seats.
Don't think so. Enter in, say, YYZ-YXE, for any date on the AC site when you're not logged in. Select fare type "Latitude", and bring up the seat map. It clearly says, "Complimentary" when it comes to selecting preferred seating.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Latitude fares are eligible for free preferred seating according to ac.com:

Preferred seat selection is complimentary if you’re travelling on a Latitude fare, as well as for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:
an Altitude Super Elite 100K member travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward;
an Altitude Elite 75K member travelling on a Flex fare;
an Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html
Old May 27, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by pitz

The question being posed is largely of access to preferred seats in circumstances when someone is travelling on a "bottom feeder" fare which may not even allow for the purchase of preferred seating or even assigned seating for that matter.
Sorry, I meant that Y was full, not that I paid full Y.

Although you never know.

It was part of an ACV package that I purchased less than 48h before departure, so maybe I ended up with a Latitude ticket?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I must say, I really like the preferred seat policy.

Still thinking of heading to YVR for the do, but the flight that would get me there in time is J0.

But because of their protection of preferred seats, this Super Elite booking full Y at T-14 (hours) can actually get a reasonable seat.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
That's definitely a good feeling. Just wish there was more incentive for me to purchase preferred seats. 50% off just doesn't entice me when I'm still paying $60 on a transcon. As I've stated before wish we could go back to the days of free bulkhead seats for E35Ks. Im just dreaming through
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fin 645
It is my opinion that AC has created a problem here that it needs to solve. It might be tough to tell such passengers that the only seats left need a fee to be paid - but not much different to telling someone that their carry-on is oversize or weight and needs to be checked for a fee.
I would say that they are very different. The passenger has control over the size and weight of the bags. The customer does not have control over the seats that will be available at check-in. Instead, I would say it compares more to showing up at the gate when the plane doesn't have enough room for carry-on, so you get your bags checked at no additional cost.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Feb 4, 2017 at 7:10 am Reason: Comment: I just noticed I responded to a post from May. D'oh
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
I think this is one case where they should follow the lead of US carriers and open them up to Altitude members at check in. I'd rather a 25k get the seat than a non-status passenger on a cheap tango fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.