SFO-YVR Rouge rarely on time?

Old May 20, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

SFO-YVR Rouge rarely on time?

I need to do SFO-YVR, have never flown Rouge, checking last week or so this route mid-day is almost always delayed it seems 30-60+ minutes. Besides the lack of seat comfort, is Rouge unreliable operationally in general, or perhaps something about this route in particular?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2015, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SFO is notorious for fog-related delays. And my understanding is that when that happens, SFO says "AC, you are normally allowed 2 landings per hour. We're going to have to change that to 1 landing per hour for the next 5 hours."

So they can delay the YVR flight, the YYZ flight, or the YUL flight. They, like every other airline, are going to delay the shorter flight that probably hasn't taken off yet.

Anyway, for data:
AC 1843: 98% OT. Delay average 4m max 17m
AC 1845: 71% OT. Delay average 48m max 3h22m (I assume this is the flight you're talking about)
AC 1847: 79% OT. Delay average 27m max 1h 52m (or maybe this one)

Wow. I guess I've been lucky...
Old May 20, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
SFO is notorious for fog-related delays. And my understanding is that when that happens, SFO says "AC, you are normally allowed 2 landings per hour. We're going to have to change that to 1 landing per hour for the next 5 hours."
Fog, or rain. Issue is that the two parallel runways are too close to each other. When visibility is not there they only operate with one instead of two.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:56 pm

Yep. SFO is the worst
Old May 20, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Yep. SFO is the worst
Worse than SEA? I've been delayed more often than not trying to leave the damn place in the morning! (fog) Not sure about SFO as I haven't been there, but want to for a Do - but if it's that bad....
Old May 20, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Worse than SEA? I've been delayed more often than not trying to leave the damn place in the morning! (fog) Not sure about SFO as I haven't been there, but want to for a Do - but if it's that bad....
When SFO is bad, it's REALLY bad.

I've had to wait 2-3 hours in YVR for them to allow us to leave. Multiple times.

I'll host a proper SFO Do in a couple months.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In addition to the weather delays @ SFO, last year they were doing runway construction.

About a year ago, I was on my usual AC morning flight westbound, not paying much attention when someone said "hey, we're going the wrong way"
So quality of IFE aside, I took some photos of the screen.

Also, you know that if the flight into SFO is delayed, then obviously the flight out of SFO is also going to be delayed, because they need the aircraft.

Fun for all and mildly amusing. More nuts please.

Old May 20, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Great shots 24left! Clearly there are either mind altering fungi or tantalizing views of something in the Sevier Desert
Old May 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The early morning departure is always the most reliable as the plane sat there overnight. So it will go unless the fog is really bad and they are restricting departures. The later departures turn back from incoming YVR-SFO flights and often SFO will tell the airlines of certain flights within certain distances not to depart until a certain time.

Flights from YYZ and YUL are less affected by this due to the flight time
Old May 20, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Yesterday I flew LAX-SFO-YYJ booked on UA. Both flights were delayed >2hrs for inbound aircraft problems (and was rebooked onto AA for the first segment). I know better than booking the late flights... But I got to try out the SilverKris lounge. ^

Next time I'll try the Eva lounge.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Having worked under WS, we had a mid morning departure to SFO that was delayed probably 7-8 days out of every 10. UA would be late, but they would get the better times, WS was always third fiddle. Delays can run anywhere from 10 minutes to 2-3 hours, then when it's time to go you've got 15 minutes to push out or risk losing the slot. There was definitely a couple times where we didn't have a ground crew that was free and the flight missed it's slot.

If you really need to fly in the morning, fly UA. If you need to fly Rouge, try flying in the afternoon if possible. If none of those are options, pray .

By contrast, I flew SFO-YVR first thing in the morning, no issues other than taxiing from SFO to OAK it felt so long.

Edit: Just realized you had the thread as SFO-YVR in the title, all my info applies still but at least your departure times should be a bit more certain at the originating station than the outpost.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Stranger
Fog, or rain. Issue is that the two parallel runways are too close to each other. When visibility is not there they only operate with one instead of two.
Yes, and there have been discussions for more than 20 years to fix the problem, but that would mean construction in the bay and placing more landfill in the bay. Getting past all of the environmental impact studies and compensatory bay recovery somewhere is a nightmare.

Fog & low ceiling related delays at SFO are going to be with us for quite some time. I wonder if AC will ever re-instate flights to SJC?
Old May 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
Yes, and there have been discussions for more than 20 years to fix the problem, but that would mean construction in the bay and placing more landfill in the bay. Getting past all of the environmental impact studies and compensatory bay recovery somewhere is a nightmare.

Fog & low ceiling related delays at SFO are going to be with us for quite some time. I wonder if AC will ever re-instate flights to SJC?
How bout a really big fan, push that fog away? If they can develop that technology they can install it in every NHL locker room. I went into the Nashville visitor locker room, place was spotless, had 2 of those big fans running 24/7 angling out the door and to the vents...still stunk to high hell .
Old May 21, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona

With my luck, they're going to announce SJC flights the day after I move back to the city.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
With my luck, they're going to announce SJC flights the day after I move back to the city.
can't wait for you to move to the city then!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.