Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm politely asking - have you not read the many examples where some people are traveling as efficiently as they can. I know I am, but we have mitigating circumstances.

The mitigating circumstances here are all self flagellating issues. AC has never ever not been practical when they need to be in terms of a carry on item. I have seen brides bring wedding dresses on board that take up the whole closet or two full bins. They will always be accommodated for obvious reasons. People with certain musical and technical instruments have always been accommodated. In some cases the have to buy an extra seat if they are hauling a big bass around with them.
I have seen lots of other examples as well. Everyone here gets worked up into a self feeding frenzy really thought out the reality. someone paying for a j or full Y seat will always be given some additional consideration if the have equipment that fits somewhere on board but is outside their prescribed limits.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Right so since every AC passenger seems to fly internationally (hint: they don't) and is an OPMer who can get by travelling anywhere in the 2nd largest country in the world with nothing more than a carry on/shoulder bag then its the customers fault for not travelling in a such non traditional way
Good job at completely misconstruing my statement to suit your (still unclear) agenda - you must work in marketing or some similar trade. The text you placed in bold was there merely for context to help exemplify the failings of AC baggage handling and management. I was by no means suggesting that it's anyone's fault for not traveling with just a carry-on bag, it was just an example. Sheesh!! Not sure why you're starting to grind your axe with me, but hey, I'm more than game if you are.

You could take the saying if you don't like the fees that AC is not charging there are plenty airlines you can fly that will nickel and dime you to death.
Yup, that's exactly what I said. AC maybe bad, but there are other carriers that are worse, and others that are better, curious how you missed (or chose to ignore - for your benefit maybe(?)) that little nuance.

The issue really started to boil over when this was launched domestically where a) Airfares are high and b) competition is low. Coupled with AC still being the flag carrier for Canada, they bear a social responsibility in helping get Canadians from Coast to Coast to Coast without breaking the bank. And as most non OPM travellers know, travel makes up a third of the household budget (after housing and food) and is not an insignificant expenditure.
I'm not sure how this really plays into this issue here. AC is a publicly traded private company, AC charges what the market can bear. How is lack of competition their fault?

High fares? Not quite, high taxes and fees - yup, no argument there from me. Fares aren't that high, government mandated fees are. You want to grind your axe? Start with the excessive fees charged by everyone trying to get their grubby hands on our wallets and pocketbooks.

Not sure about the "social responsibility" & "without breaking the bank" thing, but hey, that's your opinion, you're welcome to have it, I just don't share it or agree with it. Luckily we live in a part of the world where that notion is freely accepted and encouraged! ^

Coupled with experts and critics alike already pointing out the flaws with the carry on enforcement, the simplest solution is to bring back first checked bag free (at least on domestic routes) which was the tipping point for this carry on madness. AC can spin this as being more human than WS (something it sorely lacks and is/was a brand priority for 2015) and may make inroads in WS's market share.
"experts" heh, ya, everyone is an "expert" when it suits their need. AC made a business decision - some don't like it, some do, the market will adjust, and then we'll all continue to get along famously.

Finally, it's clear you really have no idea (even though we have met of occasion) about who I am or how my travel is funded. Your multiple "OPMer" statements make that clear. It's also clear that you're brash and quick to judge prior to making sure you have all the facts. I had my suspicions based on statements you have made at previous DO's this helped confirm my suspicions, thanks for that. ^

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
We don't have unique situations, we have unique entitlements.

AC has published the rules for years, but chosen to not enforce them ... so it's not that the luggage "has been acceptable for years" - it hasn't. It just hasn't been enforced for years. AC is saying "now we are going to". So .. now they are going to, and what has been "illegal" but not enforced, is going to be enforced.
The issue is most people just didn't realize (or they're pissed that the free ride is over) that the rules were already in existence not just not enforced. Of course the news hags & rags reporting on this omitted that as well, because, one can only presume, including that notion would have made for a less sensationalize and emotional news cycle.

I hope everyone reading/contributing to this thread realizes what a first world problem we're whining about. None of us need to do anything discussed so far, as is evidenced by two people with the same challenge but different solutions. Yes, our employers send us places and their policies pay for some things but not others, but that does not translate to need.

Aside from those with specialized equipment .. it's not need. It's want.
Yes, this is one of those oh so silly first world problems, however as with all first world problems - they're the most important problems that just destroy our day and bring them to a state of irrecoverable angst and despair - until the next problem presents itself - usually OMG! I have to pay for earphones!! Quelle desastre!!

Originally Posted by dheian
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the gigs don't often allow for the time needed to wait for the inevitable courier/customs delays. I've gotten off a plane and shot a carpet several hours later. And then that would also mean that we'd need a local set of equipment and one that we just ship as we can be busy and can't be a day away from our stuff.
If there are customs issues with a courier, then there are going to be customs issues with carry-on as well.

Originally Posted by Chowtime
I don't know why you would trust your test equipment to hands of others when you could have total control of it unless its too big for carry-on. Why wouldn't you want your testing equipment with you instead of risk it being delayed or lost (not in your case) Believe me, I always thought I was one of those that said, it'll never happen to me and then it did. Also, for many like myself, I may travel to Spain one day, fly out to Shanghai and then somewhere else all in a matter of a day or two. Couriers would not work. If your using couriers, why not ship your clothes as well then you won't need any check in or carry on. Hmmm
Well, I've never had any issues with DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc. My equipment always arrives before I do - either waiting at my hotel or client site. ^ It just falls down to good planning and packing. ^ When I say good planning and packing, I mean I and my equipment are always ready to go. I have my "go bag" and "kit" ready for travel and shipping at a moments notice. There have been many times where at 14:00 I'm beginning to plan my evening out with friends and by 17:15 I'm going through security to get on my 17:30 flight making my way to where ever it is I have to be.

As for using courier for luggage, I have done so on occasions where there were airline/contractor labour issues with baggage, ground handlers. I have to say it was quite the pleasure getting to the hotel, room ready and luggage sitting there, made for a (seemingly) very stress free trip.

Last edited by jaysona; May 27, 2015 at 6:56 am
Old May 27, 2015, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaysona
Good job at completely misconstruing my statement to suit your (still unclear) agenda - you must work in marketing or some similar trade. The text you placed in bold was there merely for context to help exemplify the failings of AC baggage handling and management. I was by no means suggesting that it's anyone's fault for not traveling with just a carry-on bag, it was just an example. Sheesh!! Not sure why you're starting to grind your axe with me, but hey, I'm more than game if you are.

Yup, that's exactly what I said. AC maybe bad, but there are other carriers that are worse, and others that are better, curious how you missed (or chose to ignore - for your benefit maybe(?)) that little nuance.

I'm not sure how this really plays into this issue here. AC is a publicly traded private company, AC charges what the market can bear. How is lack of competition their fault?

High fares? Not quite, high taxes and fees - yup, no argument there from me. Fares aren't that high, government mandated fees are. You want to grind your axe? Start with the excessive fees charged by everyone trying to get their grubby hands on our wallets and pocketbooks.

Not sure about the "social responsibility" & "without breaking the bank" thing, but hey, that's your opinion, you're welcome to have it, I just don't share it or agree with it. Luckily we live in a part of the world where that notion is freely accepted and encouraged! ^

"experts" heh, ya, everyone is an "expert" when it suits their need. AC made a business decision - some don't like it, some do, the market will adjust, and then we'll all continue to get along famously.

Finally, it's clear you really have no idea (even though we have met of occasion) about who I am or how my travel is funded. Your multiple "OPMer" statements make that clear. It's also clear that you're brash and quick to judge prior to making sure you have all the facts. I had my suspicions based on statements you have made at previous DO's this helped confirm my suspicions, thanks for that. ^

The issue is most people just didn't realize (or they're pissed that the free ride is over) that the rules were already in existence not just not enforced. Of course the news hags & rags reporting on this omitted that as well, because, one can only presume, including that notion would have made for a less sensationalize and emotional news cycle.

Yes, this is one of those oh so silly first world problems, however as with all first world problems - they're the most important problems that just destroy our day and bring them to a state of irrecoverable angst and despair - until the next problems presents itself - usually OMG! I have to pay for earphones!! Quelle desastre!!

If there are customs issues with a courier, then there are going to be customs issues with carry-on as well.

Well, I've never had any issues with DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc. My equipment always arrives before I do - either waiting at my hotel or client site. ^ It just falls down to good planning and packing. ^ When I say good planning and packing, I mean I and my equipment are always ready to go. I have my "go bag" and "kit" ready for travel and shipping at a moments notice. There have been many times where at 14:00 I'm beginning to plan my evening out with friends and by 17:15 I'm going through security to get on my 17:30 flight making my way to where ever it is I have to be.

As for using courier for luggage, I have done so on occasions where there were airline/contractor labour issues with baggage, ground handlers. I have to say it was quite the pleasure getting to the hotel, room ready and luggage sitting there, made for a (seemingly) very stress free trip.
Great post
Old May 27, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've never had any issues with DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc.
Really???

DHL has lost a whole case of my wine that was shipped for Christmas from B.C. Missed the Christmas cards
AC customer service is light years ahead of this group.

UPS gets 3 of 4 boxes right and somehow misplaces 1 box for a week.

Fed-Ex uses a local company to deliver and invariably I end up with smashed product and need to do claims..

I have had much better luck with AC delivering my luggage as rare as that may be.

Last edited by tcook052; May 27, 2015 at 8:21 am Reason: fix quote
Old May 27, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by acysb87

I have had much better luck with AC delivering my luggage as rare as that may be.
i have had a case of some comtes lafon whites shipped via Canada Post and it was literally falling out of the shipper when it was delivered....thankfully, no smashed bottles.

i have shipped cases of other stuff as checked luggage on AC....and even some SQN wines, yes, i am willing to risk this as well....the biggest problem is not AC, it is the SSShole rampies at YYZ that take pleasure in tossing fragile items in the special luggage area. they are the jerk offs.

i just subscribe to self insurance and if i was working and something was damaged, i would expect my company to pay - and if your employer won't, well, that is your problem and not AC's. we all have choices in life. some are not good ones and some come with a financial cost but make NO mistake about it, you ALWAYS have a choice.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
So bottom line explain how having a carry on that fits in sizer but weighs 15 kilos for example causes any delays compared to one of 10 kilos?
It only causes extra delays if the passenger can't physically lift the bag into the overhead bin and requires someone's help to do so. That's it.

Those insisting that the current weight limit should remain have either had extraordinarily bad luck in the bag-falling-onto-their-heads department or simply wish to throw around words like "entitled" and "rule breakers."

Originally Posted by Hello again
I have seen brides bring wedding dresses on board that take up the whole closet or two full bins. They will always be accommodated for obvious reasons. People with certain musical and technical instruments have always been accommodated.
Those examples are specifically permitted by AC, so they're hardly examples of "accommodation." AC even goes as far as to say guitars "can be carried on board as long as they fit in the overhead bin and there is space available in the cabin at time of boarding." So you can take up two rows' worth of bin space if you board early and have a guitar.

If AC wanted to be "accommodating," they wouldn't force SEs to check bags that weigh 12kg.

AC made a business decision - some don't like it, some do, the market will adjust, and then we'll all continue to get along famously.
AC definitely made a business decision here, albeit a mostly unpopular one. However, as they've shown with the "J" cabin on the ACr 319, they're willing to adapt once they realize they made the wrong decision. Let's give this some time...

As long as they eliminate the weight limit first
Old May 27, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes that works quite well.

In Japan, they have outfits at airports that will ship your luggage to hotels all around the country. Concierges will actually help dealing with them.

I once had a week in Portugal between a conference in Germany and something in Belfast. Rather that lugging our junk during that week, we just couriered ur bags to the hotel in Belfast.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I have flown over 30 Airlines in the past few years with only a carry on and only 2 of them have ever asked me to check it because of weight, IndiGo and Cebu Pacific. For Air Canada to even be in the same sentence as those 2 Airlines is an embarrassment. I have no problem conforming to size, but 10 kg is very low when a bag already weight 4.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVRorange
Flying through Winterpeg last year and my check-in AC agent weighed my carry-on. It was just over 12 kg or 27lbs. They made me check it. It was my only bag and Had my SE tag on it.

I wasn't impressed.
Happened to me once at LHR. Just a case of an agent with a chip on her shoulder.

She first did not think I belonged in the priority line. Was obviously not happy when I did. Downhill from there.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I have no problem conforming to size, but 10 kg is very low when a bag already weight 4.
I took my wife's smaller bag on my current trip. However if I put computer, ipad and my (small) computer bag inside my carryon, I am sure I'll be over the limit.

Curious as to whether I'll need to take the stuff out and end up with two items until I remerge them when going through YYZ and connect to a domestic flight on the way back next week.

OTOH, if people's carryon is so heavy that they can't lift it and it falls on my colleague's head, surely these should have been checked. My wife has trouble lifting things. She has occasionally asked other travelers (in J), but she says she'll check her stuff from this point. She said that before she heard of the new AC policy BTW.

Last edited by tcook052; May 27, 2015 at 8:39 am Reason: fix quote
Old May 27, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hello again
someone paying for a j or full Y seat will always be given some additional consideration if the have equipment that fits somewhere on board but is outside their prescribed limits.
I'm glad AC is giving consideration where it's due, and i'm sure someone paying for a J seat would know and given that fewer and fewer are cheapening the product, one still has to beg this question. How does AC know on board who is paying for a J seat, let alone "full Y" as you mention? What does paying for a seat matter at all? Crew on board don't know (based on what I read on FT) how one ended up in a seat? Also, if AC doesn't know who ended up in a seat, how would they enforce limits? And furthermore, there are no special benefits afforded to those who pay full Y or J. So if any crew broke those rules they could be subject to disciplinary action (again, based on what I read on here).

Ergo, I do not understand your post.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:36 am

How tight are the AC sizers? I bought new carryons last year and I closely checked the sizes because the US airlines were supposedly cracking down on size. I bought one bag at Costco that is listed as being too large, however it fits in the UA and DL sizers. It easily fits wheels in or out in most overhead bins outside of regional jets. Since AC's length is slightly shorter, and if the sizers are tighter than UA's, my bag may have to be checked. That seems crazy since the bins on AC or UA's planes will be very similar and fit my bag in wheels first.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I find it interesting many are complaining about the weight issue and how AC needs to move to the forefront on this and make its weight number higher. I did a random check of various Star Alliance airlines (so the results are not definitive) and it would appear that they are quite reasonable comparative so others.

Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, SAS are all 8kgs
Thai, New Zealand, Singapore are all 7kgs
ANA is 10kgs
United appears to have none

So based on what they all have posted, an this doesn't mean that they are enforced, we don't have much to complain about. We have been fortunate that they weren't enforced in the past and if the airlines chose to enforce them, you always have options.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by spd476
How tight are the AC sizers? I bought new carryons last year and I closely checked the sizes because the US airlines were supposedly cracking down on size. I bought one bag at Costco that is listed as being too large, however it fits in the UA and DL sizers. It easily fits wheels in or out in most overhead bins outside of regional jets. Since AC's length is slightly shorter, and if the sizers are tighter than UA's, my bag may have to be checked. That seems crazy since the bins on AC or UA's planes will be very similar and fit my bag in wheels first.
Very tight. Be prepared to jam it in.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyccdg
I find it interesting many are complaining about the weight issue and how AC needs to move to the forefront on this and make its weight number higher. I did a random check of various Star Alliance airlines (so the results are not definitive) and it would appear that they are quite reasonable comparative so others.

Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, SAS are all 8kgs
Thai, New Zealand, Singapore are all 7kgs
ANA is 10kgs
United appears to have none

So based on what they all have posted, an this doesn't mean that they are enforced, we don't have much to complain about. We have been fortunate that they weren't enforced in the past and if the airlines chose to enforce them, you always have options.
This "cherry picking" technique is a favourite used by AC to justify its policies.

Checked baggage fees were allegedly introduced because WS started charging them in Canada; WS has no carry on weight limit.

And while most of the *A airlines you list have terribly small weight limits, they also offer a free checked bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.