Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/150518.html

Its official.

I wonder:

A) If AC will do this at small stations?

B) Will they go after weight as well? Sounds like a pain to size and weigh every carry on!

C) Will they check personal item sizes as well?

This will be interesting. AC seemed to be cracking down last fall, then backed off apparently, and is now back stronger than ever...
Old May 19, 2015, 10:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by nave888
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/150518.html

Its official.

I wonder:

A) If AC will do this at small stations?

B) Will they go after weight as well? Sounds like a pain to size and weigh every carry on!

C) Will they check personal item sizes as well?

This will be interesting. AC seemed to be cracking down last fall, then backed off apparently, and is now back stronger than ever...
So I noticed:

If you get to security and need to check a bag that exceeds allowable size limits, not to worry. We’ll give you a special card that will get you quickly back to a check-in agent, and then on to your departure gate.
It sounds like a shortcut to priority check-in if you're entitled to a bag but not that priority check-in (eg *S, domestic Flex)
Old May 19, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by pewpew

It sounds like a shortcut to priority check-in if you're entitled to a bag but not that priority check-in (eg *S, domestic Flex)
How long before people start to figure that one out and try to take their humongous size bags through security so as to jump the check-in line?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Geoflying
How long before people start to figure that one out and try to take their humongous size bags through security so as to jump the check-in line?
Genius. It's been just a few hours and the first hacks have start to come through on FT.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Serious question: If my bag is within the limits, and the sizer which I'm forced to put my bag through damages my bag (as its poorly designed), do I have a right to sue the airline? I'm not the only one on here with a >$500 suitcase. Just curious, more than anything.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Sigh, looks like this is the end for my Zuca Pro. It's been my standard carry-on for the past 9 years, but is technically 1 inch too wide by Air Canada's standards. It's always fit fine in the overhead bins, though.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Sigh, looks like this is the end for my Zuca Pro. It's been my standard carry-on for the past 9 years, but is technically 1 inch too wide by Air Canada's standards. It's always fit fine in the overhead bins, though.
It depends on how it's too wide. If it's too deep, it won't fit (funny joke here), if it's too wide, then I don't see what the issue is as the top of the sizer is open. Does that make sense? Hard to describe.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It depends on how it's too wide. If it's too deep, it won't fit (funny joke here), if it's too wide, then I don't see what the issue is as the top of the sizer is open. Does that make sense? Hard to describe.
Yeah, it's too deep when you're standing in front of the sizer. It's 10" ⨉ 13.5" ⨉ 19.5". So, 1" over on the first dimension, but 2" to spare on the other two.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
...and what about those "ideal for your carry on" bags advertised by Aeroplan as a way to use up your points (by purchasing them with points) but which are actually 1" too long in one of the dimensions IIRC ??
Old May 19, 2015, 11:52 am

What about poor Dorian? Will his tag get through?

I am very concerned with how he might psychologically react to this.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24339693-post5.html
Old May 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
We will have our agents at security checkpoints (observing pax as they enter the queues) - CATSA is not involved in this.
Thank heavens you don't have CATSA involved. That would be a complete fail.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Thank heavens you don't have CATSA involved. That would be a complete fail.
I'd argue this would be a good thing (for this to be a complete fail)

Last edited by tcook052; May 19, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yikes. That's not good. I think it's a rumor...no way, effective date to start May 25th? So like beginning of the next decade in reality?
2 things we agree on. AC enforcing anything.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:34 pm

Somebody should Kickstarter the bag tag and the new "priority pass,' and put them up on eBay. Lots of fast cash money.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ugh everyone is going to end up in the SE line because it's closest to security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.