Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 Minute rule and small stations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
Agreed!!!! Coming off a Dash flight, I can be off airport property at YSB before the last passenger deplanes an at capacity Dash 100 if I was seated in 1 C or 1D.
I respectfully disagree. I guess i'm a big station sorta guy. I couldn't even get through security at Lethbridge until T-20 minutes before boarding. I was so confused as to why the door was closed. The only saving grace was that the security people were patient enough for me to try the 5? iterations of what I can get through the scanner before it going....BEEEP
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I respectfully disagree. I guess i'm a big station sorta guy. I couldn't even get through security at Lethbridge until T-20 minutes before boarding. I was so confused as to why the door was closed. The only saving grace was that the security people were patient enough for me to try the 5? iterations of what I can get through the scanner before it going....BEEEP

Security folks at YYZ/YUL and other big stations are impersonal and zombie/robot style in work procedures.
Contrast that to a small station where a staff member coming off break had brought in rice krispy squares and I made fun of the fact that AC Express serves pretzels and squares would be much tastier. I was offered a square, accepted and piece sent through the X ray scanner.
Knowing many of the staff after years of small station transiting helps.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I go through YQF often (I believe the smallest station on the AC network).

They are ruthless with the 45 min cutoff time (even for the 5:25am flight). But you can't go through security until T-20min at the EARLIEST.

And you have to carry your own checked back through security with you (which they put on the tractor and put on the plane for you at the same time you get on).

I think it's silly, because you sometimes get 10 people with luggage waiting to get through security, they are all checked in before T-45, but can't go through security with their own checked luggage until T-20, AND the lobby is too small to hold everyone so I usually end up standing outside the airport waiting.

And when I say ruthless I mean it..... I once saw a guy at T-44min get rejected and the Agent told him to drive to calgary and see if he can catch his next flight instead (there were 3 pax on the flight, and security where you carry your own checked bag through wasn't going to open for another 24 min).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
And when I say ruthless I mean it..... I once saw a guy at T-44min get rejected and the Agent told him to drive to calgary and see if he can catch his next flight instead (there were 3 pax on the flight, and security where you carry your own checked bag through wasn't going to open for another 24 min).
That is Ryanair style brutal! Wowh.

I personally really enjoy "small" stations like YCB & YLW, but i've only done BEH immediate turns at YQF. I really enjoyed the honor bar at YZZ (unfortunately not served by AC).

On the other hand, AC concierge helps a lot to get the flexibility at larger stations like YVR. I can still vividly recall getting off the skytrain at 10.58PM for 11.10PM departure. We left on time, but I was panting
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I wish they would give us a concierge in YYJ. Certainly lots of SE's here...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: E50K
I have seen flexibility at YYJ. (Them: You're late. Me: My bike was stolen this morning, I was dealing with the cops. Them: OK, we'll make it work for you.)

I have friends who have been pushed to a later flight at YYJ because they were a few minutes late. (They said two minutes, so it was probably ten minutes, people lie.)

The greatest issue at YYJ is that we have to be there for the United flight to SFO at least an hour before the scheduled time, even when the flight has been delayed by two hours. That's a pain. (This involves AC staff, so relevant to the discussion.)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I wish they would give us a concierge in YYJ. Certainly lots of SE's here...
+1

And a Lounge!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
+1

And a Lounge!
I'll take that lounge, but they missed their chance during the recent expansion, and I doubt it's on AC's radar. A concierge is something they could probably find room for now.

Ok Ok. Maybe we should start with getting an SE check in line first.

/end dream.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I'll take that lounge, but they missed their chance during the recent expansion, and I doubt it's on AC's radar. A concierge is something they could probably find room for now.

Ok Ok. Maybe we should start with getting an SE check in line first.

/end dream.
It doesn't work that way. SE check-in lines are less common than concierges.

I eagerly await the day they add an SE check-in line to SFO

I'm sick of standing behind all those riffraff with their E75K or UA*G statuses.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm sick of standing behind all those riffraff with their E75K or UA*G statuses.
Isn't it a curious fact, they fly less, yet they are always there to take up our space?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am trying to figure out what is the best time to arrive at YYJ? we are on the 5:25am YYJ-YVR and the AC website says 90 minutes deadline for arrival/check-in, but everyone else says 45 min.

we are checked in on-line already but since it's transborder, i assume we still have to show passports to a live person. Normally I don't mind getting to the airport early but it's just sooo early in the morning.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by izzik
sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am trying to figure out what is the best time to arrive at YYJ? we are on the 5:25am YYJ-YVR and the AC website says 90 minutes deadline for arrival/check-in, but everyone else says 45 min.

we are checked in on-line already but since it's transborder, i assume we still have to show passports to a live person. Normally I don't mind getting to the airport early but it's just sooo early in the morning.
Where do you see 90m deadline for domestic flights?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If you are flying domestic from YYJ and connecting in Canada, the 45 minute deadline applies for checked bags. If you aren't checking bags, make sure you are at the gate by the boarding time.

Doc checks can be done at the gate.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Where do you see 90m deadline for domestic flights?
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...ing-times.html
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
That's simply suggested for the 90 minutes. That's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.