Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jjlm
Sorry for the confusion. J meaning Japanese pax.
That's racist. Really? They said that?? That's grounds for dismissal isn't it? And how would they know YOU are not from Japan/Japanese?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by cperciva
It is currently 35 thousand degrees in Toronto..."
If that is the humidex conversion, not far off some summer days!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's racist. Really? They said that?? That's grounds for dismissal isn't it? And how would they know YOU are not from Japan/Japanese?
I am a white guy so clearly not Japanese (although I do speak it). I was in my early 30s but looked pretty young. Don't think she meant to be racist. I spent the next few years on JAL but recently returned to AC because of more domestic travel.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I am a white guy so clearly not Japanese (although I do speak it). I was in my early 30s but looked pretty young. Don't think she meant to be racist. I spent the next few years on JAL but recently returned to AC because of more domestic travel.
I have friends who are Caucasian who were born in Japan and are Japanese to the core, so she's assuming you're not because you're Caucasian and that's the definition of racism, no? If that were me, I would have gone LIVID.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:37 pm

I have friends who are Caucasian who were born in Japan and are Japanese to the core, so she's assuming you're not because you're Caucasian and that's the definition of racism, no? If that were me, I would have gone LIVID.
I guess after living in Japan for a long time and having being subject to real racism (although hardly the racism that non-Caucasians can experience here), I just found it amusing. But I see your point. To be honest, there are many times being young and white worked to my advantage. In those days (before the formal status programs) when I was not travelling J (i.e. coming home for holidays on my own dime) I was often upgraded on the NRT YVR route. I am sure that being a well dressed (always wore a suit because I usually went straight to NRT from the office) young white guy who could flirt politely in Japanese with the female Japanese check-in agents at NRT was the main reason why. So I can't really complain about the Japanese meal incident! It works both ways.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sorry for the confusion. J meaning Japanese pax.
What is this I don't even...
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What is this I don't even...
Craziness.

It made me wonder what Miley Cirus means by having "Js on her feet".
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by drvannostren
My only other weird one was standing on the ramp at GRU, I decided to take a few pics of my UA GRU-IAH aircraft after we got bussed over. I didn't step out of line or behind a cone or anything. I got a very stern finger wag and "Nao permissao" or something close to that. Not sure what he was so uptight about.
Not weird at all. Many airports have restrictions on photos for national security reasons. I believe GRU is a military airbase.
--
13F
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:59 am

Same situation with a FA who said she was only allowed to serve 1 shot per hour. After I pressed her about the issue she reluctantly backed down. If she cited smartserve I'd be fine with it but making up rules drives me up the wall. Stop lying! (directed to AC staff)
Lying justifies the laziness, is that a possibility?. Just the other day, on YYC-YUL flight early in the morning, my seat mate needed a glass of water some time after the breakfast was served, and no one was up front to ask for it. FAs were all congregating at the back for a long time. Called twice with no response, needed to go the back for that drink. Was told it will be served soon. Not too impressed. In your case, serving more frequently would require "work", a much less effort to just say 'not allowed'. Get 2 shots when they are serving for later use next time. . Also missed out on pancakes seating in 3F, run out I guess.
Some of the "misspeaks" are intentional and not ignorance.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Apr 27, 2015 at 2:19 am
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My opinion, in J, is that if you come to me when I'm in my seat, and ask if I can trade with you, your spouse, or your friend, I will say yes, unless:

1. On a narrow-body, you want me to trade my bulkhead for a non-bulkhead
2. On a wide-body, you want me to give up a window seat for a non-window seat (noting that 5AK on the 787 are marketed as "window" but aren't really)
3. On the HD, you want me to move into a 2 person window section, or into the throne seat when I want to sleep.

If you sit down in my seat and ask if I can take yours instead, the answer is no unless your seat is better (in my opinion).

On my last flight, I sat in my assigned 2C, a man came and sat down into 2A, then asked me if I'd mind trading with his wife in 1F. That was no issue, because he was polite, not forceful, and I remained in a bulkhead.

If I'd boarded to find her in my seat, I would have said "no, I want a bulkhead aisle that isn't too close to the galley", and then there's no other option they can give me
Exactly. If you are auto-pre-emptive-d0uche by taking my seat knowingly, then you will get a no from me as well. Basically, if you pi$s me off, you will get a big fat NO.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
All these meals BS.

I remember being told "sorry sir, they only loaded 4 beef meals and 5 chicken meals, I can't believe AC makes us work with that, what can I do".

Ya, ok.

Also, more stories please, they are hilarious.
Yep, all the meal BS. One time I was asked dead last in J (no ML*1 scenario) only to be told sorry that meal choice is no longer available. When I politely inquired (played dumb) about SEs getting their meal order first, the non-SD meal taker then said I could have her meal to which I declined but then she insisted... it's like if you went to all that effort to give me your meal, then you could have just asked me first! She told me that there were many SEs on board which is why she didn't ask by status... ???

Oh, and I am just waiting for FWPP to chime in and arrest us all.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I recall this happening a few times as well.
When AC started flying direct to Japan - this would have been right after
taking over the routes from CP - it was about 2 years later that they started
serving Jpanese Kaiseki meals. The first few times I tried to order them, I was also told they were reserved for Japanese pax. I tolerated that
the first time I heard that - never again after that.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
"You've got a great smile. So does 1A. She's tall too. You guys would make a great couple."

My GF was not impressed when I told her this one.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
"You've got a great smile. So does 1A. She's tall too. You guys would make a great couple."

My GF was not impressed when I told her this one.
Would any GF be impressed when being told such things?
None of mine ever have. I don't bother anymore.

(and you're the one with the AC FA GF, right? and in case others begin flaming this information is public here on this forum already - I just forgot who it pertains to)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Weirdest thing an AC FA has ever said to me:

"Wow, You're a spitting image of Tom Hanks! I bet you hear that all the time!"

First and last time anyone has ever said that to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.