Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mobile Boarding Pass on US-bound flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

I was reading in the most recent Altitude report that mobile boarding pass was now available to the US from Canada, but upon check in this morning for a flight to LGA tomorrow, I was only offered to print at home or get it at the airport. Did I do something wrong?

I thought maybe it was only US->CAN, but the mobile page on the AC site says it should be both US->CAN and CAN->US.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...obile/mci.html

Which flights are eligible?

Passengers flying on Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only). Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible for Mobile Check-in).
All domestic Canadian flights.
All flights to the US and from select US cities.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AskTravis
I was reading in the most recent Altitude report that mobile boarding pass was now available to the US from Canada, but upon check in this morning for a flight to LGA tomorrow, I was only offered to print at home or get it at the airport. Did I do something wrong?

I thought maybe it was only US->CAN, but the mobile page on the AC site says it should be both US->CAN and CAN->US.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...obile/mci.html

Which flights are eligible?

Passengers flying on Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only). Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible for Mobile Check-in).
All domestic Canadian flights.
All flights to the US and from select US cities.

Ah, you missed the fun part at the bottom of the AC.com page

There is a difference between "Mobile Check-in confirmation" and "an Electronic Boarding Pass"

No matter what the list of cities, on my OLCI from HND/NRT on all of my trips, I was required to print a paper BP.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks.

Why was this newsworthy in the Altitude Report, haven't we all been doing this for a few years?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but why does AC NOT have mobile boarding passes for the US - security issue or similar?

T.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AskTravis
Thanks.

Why was this newsworthy in the Altitude Report, haven't we all been doing this for a few years?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but why does AC NOT have mobile boarding passes for the US - security issue or similar?

T.

As someone very clever once answered me:
"The Americans like to stamp stuff"

Also heard from a fellow FF
"I'm sure as ---- not letting them stamp my iPhone"

(could be worse, we could all have RFIDs implanted and then no need for any of this stuff, but let's not go there ... lol)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA blue
This may explain why I'm never able to get an electronic boarding pass when checking in for a flight from FLL even though the AC website says that mobile check in is available you cannot seem to get an electronic boarding pass you have to print out a boarding pass either on web browser or at check in kiosk.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by oblender
This may explain why I'm never able to get an electronic boarding pass when checking in for a flight from FLL even though the AC website says that mobile check in is available you cannot seem to get an electronic boarding pass you have to print out a boarding pass either on web browser or at check in kiosk.
I get electronic BP flying from PHX, but not when flying to PHX.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I get electronic BP flying from PHX, but not when flying to PHX.
Same experience for me going to BOS. Outbound from YYZ I have to print the pass. Inbound from BOS I get mobile boarding pass along with the miserable excuse for Pre-Check in BOS
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:03 am

U.S. customs wants a paper boarding pass that is why you cannot get an electronic one.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
U.S. customs wants a paper boarding pass that is why you cannot get an electronic one.

Which was my point upthread, although in a less serious way

Originally Posted by 24left
As someone very clever once answered me:
"The Americans like to stamp stuff"

BTW, the Electronic BP outbound from LAX works perfectly. I prefer to get one from the check-in agent as the multiple TSA agents "touch" stuff with their blue gloves and I prefer to keep my phone out of their hands.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
I prefer to get one from the check-in agent as the multiple TSA agents "touch" stuff with their blue gloves and I prefer to keep my phone out of their hands.
If they're going to "touch stuff", I think I would prefer that they land on my phone.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
For flights from Canada to the US, you can get mobile boarding passes depending on which airport you are going through pre-clearance at.

At YYZ - no
At YVR (and I think YUL) - yes
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by pych
Same experience for me going to BOS. Outbound from YYZ I have to print the pass. Inbound from BOS I get mobile boarding pass along with the miserable excuse for Pre-Check in BOS
Same experience with DCA - outbound required a printed BP, inbound electronic was fine
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
Originally Posted by D582
At YYZ - no
At YVR (and I think YUL) - yes

I had some fun recently dropping off bags for YYZ > YVR > PDX. The agent said she was going to print the boarding passes for YVR > PDX and I told her not to, YVR allowed electronic boarding passes. She was surprised and said that it was required in Toronto for YYZ > US Destinations.

Got to YVR, didn't require a paper boarding pass.

To me it seems kind of silly that these days they don't support electronic boarding passes for YYZ > US Destinations.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Flying LGA-YUL tomorrow, just went through the check-in process via the app and was not given the option to receive an electronic BP. The email I received with the BP says "Electronic boarding pass is not offered for your flight". This seems counter to what I read on the website and on here - any idea why? At least the paper BP has pre-check, that's an improvement!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: ACE, Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz Gold
Just did YQB-YUL-BOS and BOS-YYZ-YQB with electronic boarding passes exclusively. No problems in either directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.